• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

FWSAR (CC130H, Buffalo, C27J, V22): Status & Possibilities

Meanwhile.......

In the alternate universe known as Australia:

Minister for Defence Stephen Smith and Minister for Defence Materiel Jason Clare today announced that the Government had agreed to purchase 10 Alenia C-27J Spartan Battlefield Airlift aircraft at a cost of $1.4 billion. .....

The C-27J was assessed by Defence as the aircraft which best met all the essential capability requirements and provides the best value for money. It was assessed as being able to fly further, faster, higher while carrying more cargo and requiring a smaller runway than the other aircraft under consideration, the Airbus Military C-295.....

Read the article for a chuckle on the seller.

Info in this article re the Spartan.

http://defensetech.org/2012/05/08/congress-keeps-adding-billions-to-pentagon-budget/

Congress Keeps Adding Billions to Pentagon Budget

Extract:

As the clock ticks ever closer to the triggering of the sequestration time bomb — you know, the massive cuts to government spending that are set to take effect next January unless Congress moves to eliminate them — lawmakers are still forcing more cash on the Pentagon than it says it needs during this time of belt-tightening.

Yup, the House Armed Services Committee (HASC) is set to add nearly $3 billion to the Pentagon’s weapons buying accounts in its version — called a markup — of the fiscal year 2013 defense authorization bill that’s set to be unveiled tomorrow. And yes, the HASC’s bill along with a similar effort by the House Appropriations defense subcommittee, is meant to bar the Air Force from retiring its fleet of C-27J Spartan airlifters. The appropriators also moved to keep the service flying its Block 30 Global Hawk spy drones that Air Force brass want to retire in favor of keeping U-2 spylanes.

Extract:

AIR FORCE

• Aircraft procurement rose $389 million, largely on the strength of plus-ups to the RQ-4 Global Hawk and MQ-9 Reaper UAV programs and $138 million to keep its C-27Js. Advance procurement funds deemed excessive for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter were cut by $64 million, along with another $23 million in “premature” spares for the aircraft, which has not yet entered service.

And this:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120507/DEFREG02/305070016/U-S-House-Appropriators-Boost-Defense-Bill-by-3-1B?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

May. 7, 2012

U.S. House Appropriators Boost Defense Bill by $3.1B

Extract:

Young’s (House Appropriations defense subcommittee Chairman C.W. Bill Young) legislation directs the Air Force to continue the Alenia Aermacchi C-27 cargo plane program. It also keeps the Northrop Grumman Block-30 Global Hawk, which the Air Force has proposed canceling.

House Armed Services Committee Chairman Buck McKeon, R-Calif., in his mark of the 2013 defense authorization bill, directed the Air Force to keep its C-27s in service.

More food for thought. I'm working with USCG assets where I am and they hate the C-295. They have all but given up on that airframe and are looking forward to picking up the Spartan.

So if our two closest allies are all gung-ho for that machine - why not us?

Zoomie said:
More food for thought. I'm working with USCG assets where I am and they hate the C-295. They have all but given up on that airframe and are looking forward to picking up the Spartan.

So if our two closest allies are all gung-ho for that machine - why not us?

Perhaps we should define the requirement then look for capabilities to meet it, instead of pickign a favourite and finessing the requirements to match.

dapaterson said:
Perhaps we should define the requirement then look for capabilities to meet it, instead of pickign a favourite and finessing the requirements to match.

I thought that had been done....two or three times, and by NRC. IIRC the net result was:"That can't be right.  There is only one aircraft on the market that meets that requirement.  And it isn't Canadian.  Do it again."

dapaterson said:
Perhaps we should define the requirement then look for capabilities to meet it,
That was done back in 2004.
instead of pickign a favourite and finessing the requirements to match.
MSM and politics aside - this was/is a huge misnomer.

It seems that even the Aussie's aren't immune to "Gotcha" politics and Airbus doesn't mind being "loose" in its interpretation of numbers.

Response of 11 May 2012 Provided to David Ellery, The Canberra Times

(Source: Australian Department of Defense; issued May 11, 2012)

Australia’s selection of the C-27J medium transport aircraft, at a cost of $1.4 billion for 10 aircraft, has attracted substantial criticism because of its cost and the way the acquisition was decided. Airbus the losing competitor, has issued a statement saying it could have supplied the aircraft earlier and at much lower cost. Below are the Australian Defense Minister’s answers to related questions asked by The Canberra Times:

Q: In view of the Airbus Statement does the Minister stand by his assertion that there was a “competition”?

Yes. A competitive down select to the C-27J was made following an exhaustive assessment by Defence, the DMO and Air Force of information provided by the manufacturers of the aircrafts, including Airbus Military and the C-295.

Can he specificy the nature of that competition? When was it called? How was it conducted? Who was specifically asked to participate?

Information was sought from various suppliers throughout 2011.

Alenia, Airbus Military, Raytheon and the US FMS Office were asked to participate in the process.

Each was asked to provide information on the performance of their aircraft, as well as costing data, in order to enable Defence, DMO and Air Force to conduct a comparative assessment of each aircraft/performance/configuration.

This competitive, comprehensive and comparative analysis of the attributes of each aircraft against the ADF’s mission requirements was conducted by Defence, the DMO and Air Force.

Defence seeks to acquire the solution that best meets the operational requirements of the ADF.

The C-27J flies higher, further, faster and can access more airfields in our area of interest.

The C-295 is unable to carry some of the equipment that is vital to support ADF military and Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief operations.

Can the Minister/Defence provide written documentation, including communications with Airbus Military, to confirm that a formal competition process was conducted and that Airbus Military was given the same opportunity to put its case as Alenia?

An equal and same opportunity was given to both Airbus Military and Alenia.

Correspondence exchanges between respective suppliers and Defence are commercial-in-confidence.

While I realise that is an unusual request we have the interesting situation where a major – and reputable – military contractor appears to be calling the Australian Defence Minister a liar.

That is not a characterisation the Minister places on Airbus Military’s Press Release.

The most favourable interpretation that could be placed on their remarks is that the Minister was poorly briefed and does not have a clear understanding of what is happening in his own department. Could you comment on which of these scenarios is the most accurate?

Again, that is not a characterisation the Minister places on Airbus Military’s Press Release.

A competitive down select to the C-27J was made following an exhaustive assessment by Defence, the DMO and Airforce of information provided by the manufacturers of the aircraft. The decision to acquire the C-27J was made by the National Security Committee of Cabinet on the recommendation of the Department of Defence, the DMO and Air Force, together with advice from central line agencies including Treasury and Finance.

SUPPLEMENTARY QUESTIONS FROM DAVID ELLERY, THE CANBERRA TIMES, 1:50PM 11 MAY 2012

The Minister’s press release says the 10 C27Js will cost $1.4 billion (at a per unit price isn’t that close to/even more than the cost of a JSF?) What is the actual unit cost per plane and what is the support/spare parts/roof racks/hub caps and fox tail aerial decoration component?

Nine of these aircraft will be ones that the US is no longer taking. I understand the US price was around $30 – $31 million per unit – why are they costing us so much?

Airbus Military could have sold us 10 C295s for about $35 million per unit (representing a savings to the taxpayer of $1 billion). Is the additional capability alluded to by the Minister really worth three times as much?

The costs of $1.4 billion include the acquisition cost of the aircraft, modifications to the aircraft for equipment needed for specific ADF roles, initial logistics support (including spare parts, training, materiel handling equipment, technical data, management fees) testing and certification, and facilities. These costs are be applied to any aircraft platform chosen. The aircraft being acquired by Australia are new build aircraft.

The costs quoted by Airbus Military refer only to the cost of aircraft and do not account for these essential additional costs.

Airbus would be aware of these essential program costs being included in Defence projects through its own experience with the KC-30A Multi-Role Tanker Transport aircraft project.

Defence seeks to acquire the solution that best meets the operational requirements of the ADF. The C-27J flies higher, further, faster and can access more airfields in our area of interest and was chosen for performance, configuration and suitability.

-ends-

Defense-Aerospace

What happens when you are a government subsidized enterprise producing products that don't fare well in the market and your currency is falling as are your governments?

Edit: 'Though when you are comparing a Spanish aircraft to an Italian aircraft does it really make any difference?

And further to my last - from the same source:

L-3 Selected As Prime Contractor to Provide C-27J for Australian Battlefield Airlifter Program

(Source: L-3 Communications; issued May 11, 2012)

NEW YORK --- L-3 Communications announced today that it has been selected by the Commonwealth of Australia to provide the C-27J Spartan for the country’s Battlefield Airlifter program. The U.S. Foreign Military Sales program has an approximate contract value of $600 million and includes the supply of 10 new C-27J aircraft worth about $300 million, plus contractor logistics support, spares and training.

The announcement was made by the Australian Minister for Defence and the Minister for Defence Materiel on May 10.

“L-3 is proud to have been selected for the Australian Battlefield Airlifter program,” said John McNellis, L-3 corporate senior vice president and president of L-3 Integrated Systems Group. “We look forward to working with the U.S. and Australian governments to deliver this vital capability. The C-27J will serve the Commonwealth of Australia with superb performance, interoperability with international forces, as well as significant total life-cycle savings over the life of the program.”

To support the future force, the Battlefield Airlifter must be a multifunctional aircraft, able to perform logistical re-supply, medevac, troop movement, airdrop operations and humanitarian assistance. The C-27J is equipped to address each of these mission requirements and outperforms every other aircraft in its class, as demonstrated through exceptional performance during the U.S. Air Force’s current deployment in Afghanistan. The U.S. selected the C-27J over the C-295 through a competitive tender process in 2007.

Headquartered in New York City, L-3 employs approximately 61,000 people worldwide and is a prime contractor in C3ISR (Command, Control, Communications, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance) systems, aircraft modernization and maintenance, and government services. L-3 is also a leading provider of a broad range of electronic systems used on military and commercial platforms. The company reported 2011 sales of $15.2 billion.

-ends-

After a seven-year delay marked by controversy about the fairness of the procurement process, the Harper government is moving ahead with a $3.8-billion purchase of new fixed-wing search and rescue aircraft to replace the Royal Canadian Air Force's ancient fleet of Buffalo and C-130-H transports.

Following cabinet approval late last year, the government has set a new schedule that will see a draft request for proposal issued in September, with final selection of the winning bidder or bidders expected in 2014, Postmedia has learned. Treasury Board has granted first-phase approval of a budget of $3.8-billion, with $1.9-billion of that going to so-called 'in-service support' or maintenance.

(....)

The likely front-running contenders are Italy-based Alenia's C-27 J, Airbus Military's C-295 and Lockheed-Martin's updated C-130J Transport. Viking Air's DHC-5 Buffalo and Bombardier's Q400 turboprop also have been mentioned as possible candidates.

(....)

The decision to move ahead on SAR caps what has become the most tortuous and long-delayed military procurement project in recent memory. Plans to replace the RCAF's dilapidated C-115 Buffalos and C-130-H models were first unveiled in the fall of 2003. The Chief of the Defence Staff at the time, Gen. Ray Henault, declared that acquiring new SAR craft was the military's top priority ....
Postmedia News, 29 May 12

milnews.ca said:
The decision to move ahead on SAR caps what has become the most tortuous and long-delayed military procurement project in recent memory

I guess that the Sea King replacement, which began over a decade before this one and has cost far more, no longer qualifies as "recent memory" since it was finally completed, um, how long ago now?

Oh, well, at least it hasn't been delayed as long, or been more tortuous.

This piece mixes FWSAR with the Griffons and Cormorants but what the hey:

Search-and-rescue needs saving:
http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/05/29/canadas-search-and-rescue-needs-saving

Looking forward to the gang here letting me know what I got right and what I got wrong.

Cheers.

"In other parts of the country, SAR techs get to work in a helicopter, sometimes a CH-146 Griffon and sometimes a CH-149 Cormorant."

Cormorants are also in Comox. While I respect SAR Techs very much, (one of my best friends is one) they are not maintainers.  I would still fly with the Buff anywhere.  Engines fail, Tires go flat..  yada yada.  It is an old machine (Late 60s), but a lot more reliable than people think.

So are a lot of newer aircraft, for a variety of reasons.

Low serviceability does not equal hazardous. Low serviceability could be due to parts shortage.

Things go wrong with aircraft of any age.

DavidAkin said:
Looking forward to the gang here letting me know what I got right and what I got wrong.

I think that it's a little simplistic and overly government-bashing.

One can only explain so much in a brief column, though, and, as in any complex situation, the vast bulk of the public has little interest in even a simplistic explanation, let alone a real one.

Have you read back through all of the posts here?

Yup. Though, even with all that reading, I'm not trying to pass myself off as a know-it-all expert around here.

David,

I won't comment on your conclusions, but your article seems to leave the impression that anyone who flies on a SAR aircraft is a SAR Tech.

SAR technician is an occupation in the Canadian Forces.  They are (obviously) the ones that effect the rescues.  However, a SAR Crew is made up of people from several occupations, including (and dependant on aircraft type) Pilots, Air Combat Systems Officers and Flight Engineers.

I would also point out that many searches and rescues each year are carried out by other military aircraft and crews that are not dedicated SAR assets.  These include (but are not limited to) Sea King, Aurora and Griffon aircraft.

So theSAR technicians are used only to effect rescues and other similiar situations?

I did not know that, I, probably like most, assumed SAR technicians were used in all call outs....

Hopes of filling Canada's fixed-wing search and rescue (FWSAR) requirement to replace its aging de Havilland Canada CC-115 Buffalo fleet are driving would-be contractors to cement partnerships with local companies.

Canada's minister of public works, Rona Ambrose, who oversees defence procurement, says that her department has setup a new FWSAR secretariat to consult with industry on the project.

The creation of a new secretariat could be a sign that the moribund effort to replace the decrepit Buffalo is starting to gain momentum. Canada first signaled its intent to replace the antiquated twin-engined turboprop more than six years ago. The FWSAR programme will be a competitive procurement, Ambrose says. A "fairness monitor" will work to ensure the competition is open and fair, she adds. The contract, when it is awarded, will include training and support for at least 20 years.

The exact size and scope of the FWSAR tender is currently unknown, industry officials say. That is because the Canadian government has yet to finalize those requirements ....
flightglobal.com, 30 May 12

The Canadian Press' take:
Public Works Minister Rona Ambrose told defence contractors today she's tired of duplication and competing agendas within government when it comes to military purchases.

It was a rare a moment of public exasperation from a usually composed cabinet minister.

Ambrose, who has largely escaped the political fury over the stealth fighter procurement, faced contractors at an annual military trade show.

Many are frustrated with the Conservative government's seeming inability to deliver on some long-standing commitments, such as search-and-rescue planes, which have been stuck in the system for nearly a decade.

Ambrose expressed sympathy, but offered no quick fixes.

The industry was told privately that the issuing of a full tender call to replace nearly 50-year-old C-115 Buffalos and C-130 Hercules transports likely won't happen until the end of next year.

The Government Info-machine's even vaguer take:
Speaking at the annual defence and security industries’ CANSEC conference, the Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Public Works and Government Services and Minister for Status of Women, today highlighted how Public Works and Government Services Canada (PWGSC) is working on improving and leveraging procurement to benefit Canadian industry and the Canadian economy.

"“Our Government is committed to improving procurement, in consultation with Canadian industries, so that we can maximize job creation, support Canadian innovation and bolster economic growth across the country,”" Minister Ambrose told industry leaders. "“The Government of Canada is changing the way it does business by trying to drive innovation and investment in the Canadian economy.”"

As the host of CANSEC, the Canadian Association of Defence and Security Industries (CADSI) is the voice for the Canadian defence and security industries. The Association exists to strengthen the relationship and dialogue between government and our industries and to maximize the contribution its members can make to national defence and security. As the primary advocate for the defence and security industries, CADSI represents the interests of industry to governments, politicians, the media, special interest groups, opinion leaders, and the public.

PWGSC is continuously improving and updating its procurement processes to engage suppliers, to leverage government procurement and to better govern large and complex procurements.

Back