• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

FWSAR (CC130H, Buffalo, C27J, V22): Status & Possibilities

In the presence of the Honourable Mr. Bob McLeod, Premier of the Northwest Territories,  the CEO of Discovery Air, Mr.  Brian Semkowski, and the SVP Commercial of Airbus Military, Mr. Antonio Rodriguez-Barberan, announced the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to jointly offer a solution for the Canadian Fixed Wing Search and Rescue (FWSAR) Program.  Under the terms of the MoU, Discovery Air, as the Airbus Military (AM) primary Canadian partner, will provide the in-service support for the program. 

Brian Semkowski stated: "We are delighted to be able to offer this solution in conjunction with Airbus Military to the Canadian Forces. We are very excited about the C295 aircraft; a proven and reliable SAR platform that has been sold all over the world with over 110,000 flying hours to its credit. With proven, state of the art search capabilities, it offers a low-risk, low-cost solution, high in Canadian content."  He added: "We believe that Discovery Air is ideally placed to provide the 20 year support package that will be required for this program."

Antonio Barberan said: "We are extremely pleased with this agreement. Discovery Air is the perfect partner for Airbus Military and the ideal Canadian solution for the FWSAR program. The C295 is a proven platform as a world leader in terms of maritime patrol, search and rescue and related missions for twin engine military aircraft.

"The C295 FWSAR is a robust, reliable aircraft that does not have the risk associated with unproven technologies and Airbus Military, being part of Airbus, is backed by the solid fundamentals and reputation of Airbus. Furthermore, it has the lowest life-cycle costs in its class, and compared to competitors could save Canada up to $1 billion in fuel costs alone over the life of the airframe."

The C295 aircraft is a proven and reliable SAR platform of which 114 examples have been sold in 17 countries. With proven, state of the art search capabilities, it offers a low-risk, low-cost solution, high in Canadian content.  In addition to Discovery Air, established partners include Pratt & Whitney Canada, CAE, L-3 Wescam and Vector Aerospace.  Airbus Military is the world market leader in military SAR, maritime patrol and related missions ....
Joint news release, 10 Oct 12

More on the various partners here.

milnews.ca said:
Joint news release, 10 Oct 12

More on the various partners here.

From the Airbus Military c295 website.

http://www.c295.ca/c295-canadian-sar/sar-cabin/

sar-cabin_photo-5.jpg

"The comfort of SAR Techs is secured through fully functional, closed toilets."

SOLD!

HappyWithYourHacky said:
"The comfort of SAR Techs is secured through fully functional, closed toilets."

SOLD!

Everybody poops, including SAR Techs.  8)

Well with the current direction of this government is going, the SARtech will just sit in the back and audit the search and rescue by others. So they might as well be comfortable.

sar-cabin_photo-8.jpg

The C295's ergonomically-designed spotter seats include an armrest and cup holder for extended searches while avoiding neck and back injuries.

How long does a Double Double stay warm?

So, AirBus supplies sthe aircraft, Discovery Air does the maintenance, CAE and Thales provide the simulators and avionics; So, does that mean the aircrew and SAR Techs will still be military?

Retired AF Guy said:
So, AirBus supplies sthe aircraft, Discovery Air does the maintenance, CAE and Thales provide the simulators and avionics; So, does that mean the aircrew and SAR Techs will still be military?

I'm guessing it would be similar to the Cormorant and IMP deal.

Has DND signed off on contracted maintenance?  Is this move something that might end up disqualifying Airbus/EADS before any competition begins?  Seems pretty risky to team up for something that might not even be wanted/needed. If the RCAF keeps blue-suit maintenance, Discovery is out of the picture.

The latest - more than one airframe?
Defence Minister Peter MacKay has opened the door to replacing Canada's aging fixed-wing search-and-rescue fleet with other kinds of planes.

"We've broadened the specs to include the possibility of a mixed fleet," MacKay told the House of Commons defence committee Tuesday.

The public works department has given airplane manufacturers until Dec. 21 to express interest in bidding on the project to replace Canada's fleet Buffalo and Hercules search-and-rescue planes.

MacKay was coy when reporters asked him whether he officially backed continuing with a mixed fleet of planes for search and rescue.

"I think that's a question now that has to go to Public Works, as they're the ones now that are consulting with industry and seeing what's available on the market with regard to our operational needs," MacKay said as his communications assistant tried to pull him away ....

Another update on the "industry engagement" process - another draft RFP expected early in the new year for industry comment - via MERX from the attached amendment:
.... The purpose of this amendment (007) is to notify Industry that the FWSAR Secretariat will continue to share information after the closing date of this LOI (21 December 2012).

To continue with Industry Engagement, the FWSAR Secretariat will publish a new Letter of Interest (LOI) in early 2013. The purpose of this new LOI will be to continue sharing elements of the "Draft RFP" in multiple releases, allowing Industry to review and provide comments before the issuance of a complete Draft RFP ....

A pair of leading U.S. aircraft-makers is urging Ottawa to think outside the box as the government prepares to revive a long-stalled program to replace the country's search-and-rescue planes.

Boeing and Bell Helicopter, partners in the V-22 Osprey, plan to enter into the competition the tilt-rotor aircraft that can fly like a plane, but also hover like a helicopter.

In an unusually candid statement, company officials expressed concern that the revolutionary aircraft's suitability for search-and-rescue might not be appreciated under the government's approach to the program.

Robert Dompka, a senior executive at Bell Helicopter, says the firm would like to see "extra criteria" added to the planned $3.1-billion procurement.

"We believe the full value of the V-22 would not be ascertained with the way the requirement is currently structured," he said in an interview.

He says the plan is weighted toward replacing legacy aircraft, the 50-year-old C-115 Buffalos and nearly four decade-old C-130 Hercules, rather than looking to the future.

Dompka says Bell would like to see defence planners take a "broader perspective" and consider alternative ways of conducting missions, such as using an aircraft that can search, arrive at a scene, hover and conduct a rescue.

Right now, the Canadian air force uses a fixed-wing plane to search and then has to call in a CH-149 Cormorant helicopter to carry out the rescue.

Kathy Anthony, a senior executive at Boeing, says the V-22 brings a whole new look at search-and-rescue and would be invaluable in saving lives.

"It reduces the time for survivors to reach safety and their (hospital) treatment," she said.

The program, which ambled along in fits and starts for a decade, is still a long way from delivering aircraft because the government has conducted two rounds of consultations with industry.

Last year, the government told contractors a tender call had been delayed until spring of 2013.

Government officials were reluctant to comment on the latest suggestions ....
The Canadian Press, 7 Jan 13

I am waaaayyy out of my lane but I find the idea exciting. The operational history of the V-22 leaves me lukewarm but the idea seems to have merit. Edit: I don't know what I am talking about.

Who wants to dampen my enthusiasm with some cold hard reality?

operationally in Iraq the V-22 kicks ass -- fast in and out.

NinerSix said:
Who wants to dampen my enthusiasm with some cold hard reality?

Its too new and cutting edge, we're not allowed to have those things. We get second hand or 30 year old designs.

KevinB said:
operationally in Iraq the V-22 kicks *** -- fast in and out.

I stand corrected. This sounds promising!

Its too new and cutting edge, we're not allowed to have those things. We get second hand or 30 year old designs.

Oh. Well.  Hum. Yeah. Now I have a sad.  :'(

Sign me UP!!

Real-life CPL (fixed-wing), Multi-IFR, recently applied for DEO pilot...  we'll see.

BUT, if selected/accepted, I'd be honored to strap my butt into that beast and blast off into the always-friendly weather where rescues occur! Too new? Relatively untested? Dubious record? HUMBUG!  lol

For SAR, that thing would rock! I can't imagine a better platform to replace the Buffalos.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but right now I understand Buff's only in use outta Comox?  **IF** we acquired the Osprey, or whichever fixed-wing SAR a/c, is it planned to replace more than just Buff's?  And thus be operated out of more than just Comox?

'Greg.

This from MERX:
.... The purpose of this Letter of Interest (LOI) is to continue to share information as part of the Industry Engagement Strategy in the context of the Fixed Wing Search and Rescue Aircraft Replacement (FWSAR) Project. By sharing additional information, the intent from the FWSAR Secretariat is to seek industry
feedback to allow the Government of Canada to better understand what industry has to offer and to help the FWSAR project team progress the definition work.

Feedback from Industry may be used to support Canada's decision-making process such as finalizing its requirements in an effort to assist in improving project documentation prior to official release as part of any eventual Request for Proposal (RFP).

FWSAR WEBSITE
http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/app-acq/stamgp-lamsmp/svtvn-rscfw-eng.html

(....)
Not much more detail in the bid package attachment here (Google Docs).

Back