• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

FWSAR (CC130H, Buffalo, C27J, V22): Status & Possibilities

• Thread starter Thread starter aesop081
  • Start date Start date
jmt18325 said:
The C-2235M met the requirements for less money.  End of story.

If you haven't, take 5-10 minutes and read the article.  I think you'll find it time not wasted, if you already haven't. 

No arguing that the process is the issue, and the end result of the entire process is the 235.

Eye In The Sky said:
If you haven't, take 5-10 minutes and read the article.  I think you'll find it time not wasted, if you already haven't. 

No arguing that the process is the issue, and the end result of the entire process is the 235.

295 - I hit the wrong button.

It would be nice if budgets and needs aligned.  In a world where budgets matter, netting requirements is seen as good enough - Leonardo doesn't have a leg to stand on IMO.

jmt18325 said:
295 - I hit the wrong button.

I was thinking the CASA.  My bad!

It would be nice if budgets and needs aligned.  In a world where budgets matter, netting requirements is seen as good enough - Leonardo doesn't have a leg to stand on IMO.

*Tweaking requirements to meet budgets*.  The wrong way to buy military aircraft that perform or are on the line for real world operational missions 365/24/7. 

Time will tell I guess!

Eye In The Sky said:
Read the article from some SAR SMEs.  The 3 main actual requirements when you scrape away the fat, are similar to ours for LRP (SAR is a secondary task for us as well). 

- ability to get to LKP ASAP.  *Time to get from runway to place I need to be*.
- ONSTA time.  *once I am there, how long can I remain there to conduct the task*
- payload. *what can I take, and how much of it, to do the job*

Generally speaking, the more I take, and the faster I go to get there, then I will reduce my ONSTA (on station) time.  Its a balancing act to get to the right place, at the right time, with the right things.  I am not a pilot, but I do fly for a living and have done practice and *real* SAR and my somewhat informed opinion is this airframe will fall short.  If/when it does, it may cost lives.

You can put more weight in stupid studies and stuff from folks who don't do the job, or you can put more weight in the articles linked above from people who actually do / have done SAR for a living, coast to coast to coast.  Pretty simple choice to me. 

Article:  FWSAR: Analysis of the C295W Airbus Acquisition

not to rehash this whole thread but didn't the characteristics that made the C-27J a good C-130H replacement make it a poor Buffalo replacement ie stall speed, soft field performance?

As you say above its a matter of trade-offs and how they were weighted in the decision process. Faulty assumptions and faulty weighting of attributes combined with faulty scoring will lead to poor acquisition every time, not just this once. To me these acquisitions are political and should remain so-that's why I elect politicians, not to shirk their responsibilities.

This process will be repeated for all other procurement's as both the Liberals and Conservatives seem to have bought in

Well, that's another issue.  *1 type to replace 2 types*.  You end up with 1 platform that is possibly not suited to really replace either airframe.

I recall the mention too about the difference in SHP, with concerns noted about the lesser with the 295.

C295W Power Concerns

One other important issue with the Airbus C295 that raises concerns with former SAR Buffalo pilot Scott Goebel is the aircraft’s power plant. The plane uses two Pratt & Whitney Canada PW 127G turboprop engines with a stated Engine Power (each) of 1972 kW / 2645 SHP. He believes that the aircraft may be under-powered for safe and effective flight in mountainous terrain. Moreover, he worries that the seemingly under-powered aircraft will not allow crews to use published air routes during instrument meteorological conditions that require it to maintain high minimum obstruction clearance altitudes, common for the Victoria region, in the event of the loss of an engine. In these situations crews must plan alternate routes that often lead to extended periods of time before reaching an area to deliver necessary aid.

For comparison, the C27J’s Maximum Engine Power is 4637 SHP per engine and the Buffalo uses a General Electric CT64-820-4 turboprop, generating 3,133 hp (2,336 kW) per engine.

The Buff - good for mountain SAR.  Not good on the east coast when the Capt in the article was flying out of CFB S'side (that was a while ago). 

The article says both the researchers AND military thought 300+ knots cruise was the right speed to go for.  244 is fairly far short of that, IMO.  Getting to the datum/LKP quicker is pretty important to me.

jmt18325 said:
Chile uses the C-295.  I'm pretty sure they have mountains in Chile.

Do they do contour flying to drop SAR Techs in Chile?

Not being facetious, but that is what the Buffs do in the west coast.

Dimsum said:
Do they do contour flying to drop SAR Techs in Chile?

Not being facetious, but that is what the Buffs do in the west coast.

I just can't imagine Airbus selling us a product that would be unsafe for the mission profile.  In the long run, it would probably be bad for them, being as their aircraft will be competing at some point in the near future to replace the CC-150.

jmt18325 said:
I just can't imagine Airbus selling us a product that would be unsafe for the mission profile.  In the long run, it would probably be bad for them, being as their aircraft will be competing at some point in the near future to replace the CC-150.

Yeah.

You have clearly never spent a day around an arms manufacturer. Or used one of their products.

This is how the defence industry works: it is truly "buyer beware". Kit that does not do the job is never, ever, ever the fault of the manufacturer. Each manufacturer has battalions of lawyers that make sure they never get blamed. Ever.

jmt18325 said:

I just can't imagine a used car dealer selling me a product that would have more flaws than he knows. In the long run, it would probably be bad for him, as he will be competing at some point in the near future to replace other people's cars.

There's a sucker born every minute.

Birth interval for Liberals is probably about the same.

This is the thing though - this plane is regularly used as an MPA with great effect.  It's used by countries with mountains, like India and Chile, and it's used by some of our NATO allies.  What we're doing with it is more similar to that than it is different.  It has also gained far more orders than the C-27j.  I see this as more of the kind of argument that Matthew Fisher is (repeatedly) making about the Super Hornet.  I also see this as a bit of sour grapes over not getting the plane that the air force wanted - that the air force doctored requirements to make sure that they got. 

As far as I can tell, the C-27j never had a chance no matter who was in power, as the Liberals used a process and fairness monitor that was set up by the previous government. 

jmt18325 said:
This is the thing though - this plane is regularly used as an MPA with great effect.  It's used by countries with mountains, like India and Chile, and it's used by some of our NATO allies.  What we're doing with it is more similar to that than it is different.  It has also gained far more orders than the C-27j.  I see this as more of the kind of argument that Matthew Fisher is (repeatedly) making about the Super Hornet.  I also see this as a bit of sour grapes over not getting the plane that the air force wanted - that the air force doctored requirements to make sure that they got. 

As far as I can tell, the C-27j never had a chance no matter who was in power, as the Liberals used a process and fairness monitor that was set up by the previous government.

Well, you are the expert.

jmt18325 said:
This is the thing though - this plane is regularly used as an MPA with great effect.  It's used by countries with mountains, like India and Chile, and it's used by some of our NATO allies.  What we're doing with it is more similar to that than it is different.  It has also gained far more orders than the C-27j.

Using the platform as a Maritime Patrol Aircraft is not the same as using it as a Search and Rescue aircraft, where SAR Techs will be moving around in the back with all their gear and parachuting off the back. 

jmt18325 said:
I get that a lot of people aren't happy with the decision - that kind of thinking is why the NRC got to make the requirements.  The C-27j is almost certainly better.  The C-225M met the requirements for less money.  End of story.

I worked with our SAR Techs seen the way they load up an aircraft, they may be flying SAR on the west coast with a search, drop a pump and or liferaft, finish that mission , fuel in Sandspit, then be tasked from there to the Yukon and be asked to parachute into a forest. The plane is going to be loaded to the max all the time. There is almost no headroom in it, except for a narrow strip down the centre. Yes Airbus will be better than the Italian company for support, but the C-27J is still the far, far better aircraft and far more versatile.

Dimsum said:
Using the platform as a Maritime Patrol Aircraft is not the same as using it as a Search and Rescue aircraft, where SAR Techs will be moving around in the back with all their gear and parachuting off the back.

Dimsum, please. You are arguing with an expert. Stop it.

jmt18325 said:
This is the thing though - this plane is regularly used as an MPA with great effect blah blah blah ...

You have, of course, discussed this directly with personnel who have operated it in the countries mentioned, and not just based this on magazine/internet articles, right?

You do not seem to have much success with reading comprehension, analytical thought, or ability to differentiate between good sources and not-so-good ones.

Loachman said:
You have, of course, discussed this directly with personnel who have operated it in the countries mentioned, and not just based this on magazine/internet articles, right?

You do not seem to have much success with reading comprehension, analytical thought, or ability to differentiate between good sources and not-so-good ones.

Loach- you are wasting electrons. JMT is an expert in this field. You are not. I mean with nearly 40 years of military aviation under your belt, what could you possibly know about aircraft, in comparison to him?

jmt18325 said:
This is the thing though - this plane is regularly used as an MPA with great effect.

Source please?  What are the criteria to classify 'great effect' for a MPA?  I'm genuinely curious what this is in your mind. 

I also see this as a bit of sour grapes over not getting the plane that the air force wanted - that the air force doctored requirements to make sure that they got.

So, the Air Force can't determine what is the best platform for the lines of taskings they are going to be using a platform for?  ???  What better SMEs are there for SAR FW aircraft than people who use the current one and know its caps and lims?? 

Would that be what you would say if you were talking to the family of a loved one who was lost, but could have been saved if the SAR Techs had reached them an hour sooner? 

Summary from the article...
Maybe the bean counters and politicians should pay more attention to the recommendations of the people risking their lives.

Years ago, my department wanted to sell our 4x4 truck to buy a fuel efficient crossover, since one of the decision makers was out on the coast, I sent them off with an officer to do a site inspection, after having a few cavities knocked out on the old roads we have to use, they agreed we needed a real 4x4. I suspect part of our problem is that the committees make their decisions in the comfort of warm offices and not being bounced around in the back of a buff twisting through mountains and being hammered by downdrafts, nor droning for hours in a herc on a mid ocean search. Forcing these creatures out of their environment and spending some quality time with the folks doing the job and also having their lives at risk will focus their minds to the task. 

Sometimes its hard to picture something in your head...specs on height, size and all that stuff.  When talking about how small the interior of the CASAs are (235, 295...whichever), I mean they are small.

So, here's a video of the inside of a C295.  Its the MPA version, but you still get an idea of how small the interior of this aircraft is.  295 part starts at 2:04.  Note the dude in the grey suit around 3:01. 

And in comparison, here is video of the RAAF first C27J.  There's 30 seconds of  good video of the backend starting at 7:00.

Back