• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Google-earth sightings....

NavyShooter

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
50°48'15.63"N    1° 5'48.14"W

What's that guy?

How about these two:

69°15'35.66"N  33°20'20.26"E

And check this shot out:

39° 7'35.86"N  121°25'58.00"W

How about a good old friend:

64°34'29.49"N  39°47'56.23"E

The first one is a United States trimaran.  Not sure the name, did not even know they were actually in service already...

The U2 shot is cool indeed... there is another one in the air to the north east as well.  That entire airfield is a nice one, with a few U2s, a SR-71, a couple A-10s.
Those little black fighter looking ones, excuse my ignorance, but does anyone know what they are?     Long nose, small thin wings, small tail surfaces.  they look black. (wings don't look long enough to be F-18s).

And as for the last shot... is that a Kirov?

I don't think that is a Typhoon.  at the Base of the mast of the Typhoon it flares out quite a bit, like a big hump, then it goes back into the hull, like this picture...

pl941ak1.jpg

How about this shot:

43° 6'46.01"N  5°53'41.80"E

I see another U2 on the ground, but not in the air...got the co-ords?

The wings on those aircraft could be folded?  F-18's fold?

Other than that, they're the wrong shape for F-104's, and seem too big for F-5's.

NS

Twin Ducted Props on the sub....Oscar?

Oh, and looking around that harbour a bit more, there's another Kirov, plus a Kiev...

COOL.

NS

Or how about a whole ruskie museum of aircraft:

56°55'32.01"N   23°58'49.52"E

I think there's a Backfire at the top, various fighters, including what appears to be an SU-25 frogfoot, some Mig 21's, and there's that HUGE HONKING HELICOPTER IN THE MIDDLE.

Wowzers.

Another Backfire...in Moscow:

55°59'6.65"N   37°26'37.26"E

And what do we have here:

38°56'28.84"N  121°38'40.07"E

NS

Koenigsegg  I think that submarine  picture is of a Russian  Akula.  I did a  search on google images and they look close to it but I am not sure on that .

Koenigsegg said:
The first one is a United States trimaran.  Not sure the name, did not even know they were actually in service already...
Ref: 50°48'15.63"N    1° 5'48.14"W

This is not a USN ship, rather RV Triton, an experimental trimaran never commissioned in the RN. 
http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/trimaran/ refers

Oh, well I feel like a fool.
I was not paying attention to the coordinates, and I was zoomed too far to see what country it was in...
I looked up the Trimaran and saw the RV Triton, but thinking the shot was from the States, I figured that the boat must have been a very similar design, but from the US.
...Feel like a knob...

I was thinking it was an Akula, but one feature I did not see from the shot was the bulbous thing on the tail (dont know what it is excactly...).  Since I could not see it, I did not want to jump to a conclusion.  But I think it is a Akula as well.

And I am using Google Maps, and I dont know how to get coordinates, so sorry NavyShooter but with my current knowledge of the program..I can't tell you exactly where the  second flying U2 is...

What Sub in Norfolk VA would this be at  36°49'9.19"N  76°17'38.06"W

Mike Rochefort  I believe that is a Virginia class submarines one of the new ones that the Americans are building . I used google images for a comparison

Looks like they have updated their maps in Norfolk. There used to be one of our CPFs there on the previous version. You could tell by the green flight deck and the unmistakable silhouette of the mast and funnel. Here is another interesting coordinate, not really a navy site but it is the Bone Yard in Tucson, Arizona.

32 09' 29"N  110 50' 07"W

Here is an other interesting link. It is from the Google Earth Communities and it is a placemark DL for all of the nuclear silos in the United States. Fun Stuff, eh?

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/187519/an/page/page/0/vc/1

~J

And while you are perusing the various silos, maybe check out the bright ideas from these folks...

http://www.silohome.com/

And just for fun, if anyone finds themselves in Austria any time soon, might be worth your time to take a drive down this road...

48 03'59.5"N 12 51'57.46"E

Now, don't get all ethnocentric on me here  ;D

68° 9'31.44"N  33°27'34.56"E

The heart of Soviet Naval Aviation?  I count 30+ Backfires....

NS

zipperhead_cop said:
And just for fun, if anyone finds themselves in Austria any time soon, might be worth your time to take a drive down this road...

48 03'59.5"N 12 51'57.46"E

Now, don't get all ethnocentric on me here  ;D

... Clever.

I know the location of a N Korean air base that has dozens of MiG-15s and MiG-21s but i was using maps.google, not google earth.. ill try to get the coordinates for the base on soon.  ;D

KC-135 refueling a C5 Galaxy in midair: http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2006/06/kc135_caught_re.html

Not necessarily on topic, but interesting none the less, to rival the "Face on Mars", behold the "Indian listening to an IPod"
Google Map Link

Back