• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

GTA Infantry Regiments

Status
Not open for further replies.

9Tiger9

Inactive
Reaction score
       I am currently a student at RMC in my third year.   I am planning on buying a house in the GTA due to my desire to do private flight training for my second carrear after my regular force commitment, with Toronto Airways.  The two locations of the flight training are at the Oshawa municipal airport and the Buttonville airport.   I am wondering which reserve regiments meet the following criteria:   
        I) Closest in proximity by car to either Oshawa or Markham Ontario (I have a very limited knowledge of the GTA and its traffic and commuting possibility).
        2) The regiment with the best internal structure; for example, least manning shortages, turnout on parade nights, best leadership both at the Officer and NCO level.
Lastly, if anyone has any information on the opportunities and any information (selection, availability, etc) on RSS postings.

As this is long term planning any information or insight would be helpfull before I commite to both the flight school and house hunting pursuits.  Other backround information that may help I hope to serve with the 3rd battalion of eather the RCR or PPCLI for my remaining mandatory service and would like to transfer to the reserves after.

Moderator please move if necessary

The Lorne Scots
Regimental Headquarters &  B Coy
Brampton

A Company Armouries
Oakville

C Company Armouries
Georgetown

When If you finish your phase training, when if your unit has deemed that you're sufficiently

Not a matter of IF, I have done very well in my phase training to date. A simple answer will do.

Thank you

9Tiger9 said:
Not a matter of IF, I have done very well in my phase training to date. A simple answer will do.

Thank you

People wash-out at all levels of training, CSA was just being realistic in what he was writing.

9Tiger9, just to broaden your scope a little bit, have you considered other flight schools as well. Not to turn you away from Toronto Airways in anyway, I've never had an experience with them positive or negative, however I did my Private Pilot License at the Waterloo-Wellington Flight Centre at the K-W International airport, a great flight school and also the airport and airspace in the area isn't to busy yet either which helps during the course of your flight training.

Kitchener also isn't a bad city good size and growing not far from the GTA either and for your question regarding infantry regiments they have the Royal Highland Fusiliers of Canada. I'd be way out of my lane commenting on how they are internally, but have worked attached to them on exercises and are a great bunch to work with every time. Sorry for the slight hijack as well

As a side I do not work for the Waterloo-Wellington Flight Centre or city of Kitchener, just thought I'd pass on some possibly helpful knowledge.

9Tiger9 said:

Thank you

The line between confidence and overconfidence can be hard to see.  CSA was just alluding to that while he was being kind enough to offer you advice on your plan and there is no need to get all snippy.

Anyhoo, Merry Christmas.

Tango2Bravo said:
The line between confidence and overconfidence can be hard to see.  CSA was just alluding to that while he was being kind enough to offer you advice on your plan and there is no need to get all snippy.

If I may, I have had a rather poor experience on this forum with people trying to impart their "wisdom" by rather rude or unnecessary comments.  I realise this forum's constant desire for professionalism, and therefore wish only to have a simple and clearly phrased question answered, without badgering etc. I do not wish to be snippy, but I think  to be fair, questioning my ability to pass or complete my phase training is rather unnecessary. By the very nature of my question, very drastic changes to my plan would have to occur if I failed to  become qualified. Therefore I felt it unnecessary to even bring up my success in training.  If this is an oversight, then would a moderator please move this comment from the recruiting section as indicated.

9Tiger9 said:
  If I may, I have had a rather poor experience on this forum with people trying to impart their "wisdom" by rather rude or unnecessary comments.  I realise this forum's constant desire for professionalism, and therefore wish only to have a simple and clearly phrased question answered, without badgering etc. I do not wish to be snippy, but I think  to be fair, questioning my ability to pass or complete my phase training is rather unnecessary. By the very nature of my question, very drastic changes to my plan would have to occur if I failed to  become qualified. Therefore I felt it unnecessary to even bring up my success in training.  If this is an oversight, then would a moderator please move this comment from the recruiting section as indicated.

You may not have wished to be snippy - but you accomplished just that.

I didn't see anyone questioning your success in training - just pointing out the real world possibilities.

I think you're getting some fairly good suggestions here.

Folks - let's keep the thing on track.

Roy Harding
Milnet.ca Staff

9Tiger9, while I don't question your desire to execute your overall action plan (Reg force service in the infantry, followed by a second, independent career in commercial aviation) I have to say that you have picked a secondary career that will require significant "time in rank" (i.e. working lower level jobs in and around a flying club, airways) before you get on a machine and start the long haul to the air lines.  Is infantry something you really want to do, or would you consider attempting to conduct an occupational transfer to pilot now and getting an experience base for your second career? 

G2G

9Tiger9,

If I understand you correctly, you're planning on doing commercial aviation with Toronto Airways?  As it's been noted before, if you're just looking to start flight training after your time in the military, you have a long way to go.  Getting to the point of flying for a company takes years.  Lastly, the airline industry is ridiculous in its volatility; when I finished univ and looked around for flying jobs in '04, we couldn't find anything within hundreds of kms from a decently-sized city.  Now, jobs are coming left, right and centre...mind you, not many of those jobs are in the Toronto area.

Despite what I must sound like, I'm not trying to discourage you.  Do your time and look at the situation when your time's up...I'm confident that the industry will be completely different by then.

Just my $0.02

Ahhh #4 ... saw him two weeks ago -- still kicking , yet going nowhere.

What a waste of talent one's attitude can wreak upon himself.

Once again,
  This forum has let me down CSA 105 by virtue of your statement you show a complete lack of respect for my question, accomplishments, and goals. Yet, you expect a level of respect from me when I take your constructive criticism into account.  Maybe you should have asked am I answering the simple question, which the answer was no. Ref: distance between Oshawa or Markham and the regiments, Regimental structure, and although you did attempt to answer my third question it was tainted with a question of my training experience. It is truly regretable that this forum has allowed such a clique status to occur within its moderation and senior membership. If this is an indication that my question is unwelcome I will withdraw my account and leave.

Moderator please lock

9Tiger9 said:
If this is an indication that my question is unwelcome I will withdraw my account and leave.

Moderator please lock

Locked pending member's request to have account deleted.  9Tiger9, please contact the site owner (see the Cunduct Guidelines) to confirm your wish for account deletion.  If you make any further posts I will assume you did not state this in earnest and I will unlock this thread for further responses.

Milnet.ca Staff

CSA 105 has brought up many good points to which you basically told him to take a flying leap.

He's told you and given you instances where troops going through phase training had either failed and punted, or had a major incident and punted.

Armyvern has backed up that fact by one such individual (#4) is still in limbo probably until his contract is done.

You have a secondary career goal and that's great. At least you have a plan.

That being said, however, your primary job is to serve and to see to the welfare of the troops....not to your own endevours. At least not before you release.

Another point is you cannot get an RSS position without any Bn/ Sqn time under your belt in the Regs. Can't let someone support a unit if they don't know what the blazes they're doing themselves.

On another note, membership.

There are no cliques here. All members are just that, members. Be they regular members, such as yourself, or Subscribers. Some members decide that they are "above" the rest with their posts and snide comments and draw fire then start complaining.

Respect is a two way street and these means are a poor way to communicate body language. I suggest you suck back and rethink your response to CSA 105. Take a boo at his profile, it's pretty well cut and dry. He fires from the hip and says it the way it is, whether you like it or not.

The Army.ca Staff

For the record, 9Tiger9, before you go broad-brushing the "moderation and senior membership" of the site, you should perhaps take a moment to consider the number of members who attempted to provide information in earnest, and in fact point out additional factors (such as my points to you in "non-DS mode" re: flight training options) that you might want to consider as you pursue your military career. 

Oh, you're welcome.

G2G

I can see it now ...

"Works well under stress ...."

Apparently ... "Not".

Cripes, you think this place is bad, just wait until you're out of school and have to work all year long!! I can see it's going to be a very long few years for you until you work off that mandatory service. Why bother? Go now.

*"It is truly regretable that this forum has allowed such a clique status to occur within its moderation and senior membership."*

Yeah, because elitist attitudes in any organization are just plain wrong.... RMC, was it...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back