• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I have a question and need advice please.

Raeden

Inactive
Reaction score
This is my first post on this forum but I've been reading the forums for awhile.
I'm really stuck in life at the moment and I could use some answers/advice/guidance. I'll need to explain my whole situation so please bear with me.

My name is Raeden Trost, I'm currently 25 and want to be a pilot (or at least have an officer position).
I have an honours bachelor of arts degree, an international studies certificate and can speak three languages. I went to Queens University in Kingston.
When I was in school I had no motivation and I had a lot of growing up to do. I have always been interested in the military. After school I discovered that I really wanted to be a pilot in the RCAF so I applied and was offered a date for the aptitude test in 2013. I looked at the practice test and I was a bit over-confident I guess you could say since the practice test was so easy. I wrote the test and qualified for officer but I wasn't competitive enough so they eventually closed my file. Since then I haven't given up and I've actually grown a lot as a person. In the past 2 years I've matured and grown more than I have in my whole life. I've been exposed to the stagnant life in the working world with school being done.
I wanted to re-write the aptitude test to improve my score and competitiveness. The recruitment centre had sent in a waiver to request a re-write and finally I was contacted just before Christmas 2014. I was told that after Christmas I would be contacted about scheduling the re-write. I had bought books and studied non-stop. I was so determined. I worked so hard.

I had wrote the test on the 4th of February and I was told that I did "very well" on my aptitude test. By my aptitude test alone I had met the requirements for all occupations. But I was told that I didn't qualify for officer because of my Self-descriptive/personality test from 2013. The required score for all officers had also been raised starting this year. So had I written it in December when they first contacted me, I would have made it. I was only off by a couple points. It makes me so frustrated that my dream is damaged because of something like this and the circumstances. My personality test must have been abysmal or something, who knows, but as I've said, I have changed SO much, I have matured, found myself, my dreams, been motivated, worked hard. etc etc.

Basically I improved my aptitude test score and I went from qualified to not even qualified. It's frustrating though because I know my potential, my leadership skills and what I'm capable of. In all of my jobs and amongst my friends, in sports etc I've always shown natural leadership ability. I've changed so much and I know for a fact that I would answer things differently about myself now in 2015. It's frustrating because I was judged by a piece of paper two years ago and I never got any sort of interview or had a person to talk to who could see who I am and what my motivations are, my determination, what I can offer etc.

They said that the military is in the midst of talking about lowering the weight of the personality test because they are losing many good candidates. But if it happened it could take 1 to 2 years.

I know I want to be in the military and I know I can't get through life with my current job.
I am trying to find out if I can appeal to re-write the personality test.
A couple pilot friends of mine think I have a case because of what I already stated, that I had qualified with the personality test before but the recent rule change took me out of qualification, even though my aptitude test score was improved.

If I can't then basically my options are:
1. Wait a couple years until I can re-write my personality test and make a gamble.
2. Join as an NCM and wait five years before trying again even though it's highly competitive.
3. Wait and see if they lower the weight of the personality test, which could take 1 to 2 years if it's even done.

I am not putting down the NCM occupations whatsoever. But as I have said, I have an honours bachelor's degree with an international studies certificate and I can speak three languages. I want to at least put my degree to some use. I also know my potential and what I want. I've pushed so hard for an officer job. I'd like to be able to start a career as an officer as young as possible and get things going so being an NCM for 5 years is a little unsettling. I'm already 25.

On the other hand I absolutely need a job and I know that I undisputedly want a job in the military. I can't continue doing what I am currently doing to get by in life happily. My dream is to be an air-force pilot or at least an officer in the military.

What do you think? Can you give me any answers, or advice/suggestions?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this, I'm so grateful & I appreciate it.

Kind regards,
Raeden

Good day Raeden,

Thank you for your interest in the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF).  There are many opportunities in the CAF.

Service in the CAF offers valuable job skills, exciting challenges and unlimited career possibilities.  With more than 100 occupations the CAF invests in its personnel by giving them the training & education required to do their demanding jobs to the best of their abilities.  As a result, Canadian soldiers, sailors & air personnel are world-famous for their professionalism and expertise.

The CAF has more than 20 entry programs, some of which include subsidized education.  Candidates with education levels ranging from Grade 10 or Secondary IV to a university degree are encouraged to apply.

A great place to start looking into a career in the CAF is by looking at our website; you will find the answers to many questions.  You may wish to first consider whether you want to work full (Regular Force) or part-time (Reserves).

http://www.forces.ca/

Another way to start is by thinking about which element (Army, Navy or Air Force) you see yourself working in.  Once you have decided which element suits you then start looking at the available occupations in that element.

Job List –

http://forces.ca/en/jobexplorer/browsejobs-70

Perhaps you’d rather work part-time with the CAF.  We have many part-time jobs available in the Reserves.  You can view a list of Reserve units in your area at:

http://forces.ca/en/centres/findarecruitmentcentre-110

If you wish to join you can visit your local CAF recruiting centre or you can apply online at:
http://forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100

Sincerely,

MCpl Steven

Back