• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I'm ski-rewed!

The Gues-|-

Inactive
Reaction score
Well, I start basic in two weeks my knee wants to take coffee breaks when I run due to an old injury.  The thing is, I've been training for a couple months in preperation and the pain just started.  I'm on those new "extra strength advil" and codine but it hardly dulls the pain.  I've been icing it as well after runs.  I'm afraid if I stay off it until basic then I'm in trouble and I have to keep my cardio up!  It will take at least 2 weeks to see a doctor so I'm thinking on going balls to the wall through basic with advil and codine.  Should I bother telling my instructors or just not say a word?  I'll pull through, but it is going to be painfull!

Lieing about injuries to staff would be bad, especially at the start of basic. Instructers aren't dumb an will notice if you are having problems moving around and are taking medication. An they will find the pills when they search your kit.  I'd call CFRC an talk to them about it, maybe a medic can check out you, etc. If you are unfit to start right now, no big deal you get put onto another BMQ course later on when you heal.

stay off the knee for the next week to 10 days... use cycling or swimming to maintain cardio... I am just getting over the same thing myself.

Taking two weeks off of running is not going to seriously set back your cardio fitness. What little ground you lose you should gain back quickly, it's much easier to regain stamina than build it in the first place. Keep in mind, if the pain is bad enough that you need codeine for it, you can pretty much guarantee that continuing to run is going to result in serious knee damage that will sideline you much longer than 2 weeks. Pain is a warning sign, pay attention to it. I'm speaking from experience here... I ended up sidelined for 6 months because I kept aggravating a minor knee injury, and yours sounds more serious than mine.

I agree with everyone saying that you should lay off the injury for the next couple of weeks until you start your training.  While BMQ can be physically demanding, you generally run to the pace of the slowest runner (team work means that you all stick together).  Speaking as a runner, if you can comfortably do 10km's sub 1 hour you're not going to have trouble with the pace.  You may not even run as far as 10km for your pt runs.  I know we never did. 

and just so you know,

they won't find the pills if they are on your person. 

:)

Oh, you bad, bad people dishing out medical advice like that.....you all bad.

Go see your doctor. If he thinks you should be off you knee for more then 14 day, then go see your CFRC and see what they think.

If you just rest it by not running until your BMQ starts, you may get by until your pt sessions increase in intensity during week 2.

The military give out Ibuprofen and other NSAIDs like candy as muscloskeletal injuries are common. Don't bring your own. If you need them, they will give it to you.

WOW!!! just dope up and do it??? Definatly get that checked out...I hurt my knee overtraining last summer. I just rode through the pain until I couldnt cycle more then a few KM's(usualy do 150-200). I have been in and out of phisio, and chiropractors since last October....Still gives me trouble sometimes.

Listen to your body, it gives you certain pains for a reason....Joint pains shouldnt be messed around with.

I echo Armymedics advice to not listen to everyone else(no offense intended), just there is not anywere near enough info for a properly qualified to even begin giving advice.

I would also suggest buying brand new runners, GOOD ONE'S with shock absorbing ability...

I was having a problem this past summer with shin splints (they are the punishment of God for those of you who are religious!) and I had to keep running on pavement and hard-packed roads etc.... Good ole Meaford!

I bough Nike's newest runner which maximizes shock absorbency, my problem was fixed within a couple days. Pain was still there but it was healing and wasn't chronic like before.  The shoes cost me about $220 with tax, it's worth it, trust me! The one's that look like they have little "springs" in the hell, yeah, those one's! Get the one's that have at least 6 springs in the back... Those are what I have and haven't had a problem since. Running is considered "high impact" on your joints, and every time your foot hits the pavement your exerting about 3-4 times your body weight on that point on the ground, so imagine what your knees must be going through.

Take time off, relax, swim or bike, I wouldn't even do that, do like Armymedic says, he's the one who is a medic!!!

Joe
Goodluck

With regards to running shoes(I go through about 3 pairs a year). Go to a proper running store. They will find the proper shoe for your foot/legs/hips. All these things affect the way your foot strikes the ground. Shoe companies all make their shoes different.

Not advertising specifically, but check out Running Room. They are usualy very knowlegable, plus you get a 15% discount with milID

To add to the above:

Never buy running shoes from a store that won't let you run around the block with them on.Also, bring your last pair of shoes with you to the fitting because a good running shop has staff that can tell alot from the wear patterns of your previous shoes.

I, too, go through 3-4 pairs of shoes per year.  I get fitted regularly by either the Running Room or Aerobics First (a great halifax running store). 

Hey all,  I just seen the doc and he did his thing.  Hyperextension and loose joints he said.  He told me to stay off it for a week, give myself a break and gave me some anti-inflammatory.  Appreciate the advice! :cdn:

Yep definitely stay off it for the time you have...I'm BMQ/SQ/ATCIS qualified and I know of a few MIR commandoes who pissed the hell out of our platoon...Better rest up and fall out trying then gettin written off of PT for an injury that could have been prevented...Take er easy...M sittin on a borderline stress fracture in the ankle so i'll do the proper thing until my unit can get some money (Broke from Cougar Salvo and Caustic Shock (Artillery) till April) HAH!

:threat:

Back