• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Interview advice (merged)

"you may or may not be required to use a firearm to defend this country and you may or may not be required to harm or kill an enemy human being"
Yes, In my interviewer said the above phrase and then asked if I had any problems with the possibility of killing someone (I forget his exact words).

I found this a hard question to answer because I was nervous about saying the wrong thing, and that would look bad. 'Yea, let me at em' or 'I want to blow shyte up' kind of thing.

I said  "If I find myself in that situation I am sure I will have all the proper training, and I will respond appropriately"

But interviewer did not like that answer and asked me more directly if I was capable of killing if required, to which I said "Yes"
He seemed more satisfied with that answer.

Drinking lots of water before is a great idea.

I have to drop in at the recruiting offices again today for a retake of my urine test.  As long as I am dressed casual it should be okay right?  I guess what I  mean is should I wear a suit again for the five minutes that I will be there?

If it's just, as you said, a retake of a urine test, then dressing casual should suffice.

Why did you fail the first time, if you don't mine me asking?

Cheers

Hope your not going infantry if you couldn't hit the pee bottle with Mapeeing gun  ;) Maybe he's going engineer and has a head start on the old three fingers trick  ;D

small amount of blood in my urine test...failed again today..now have to go to family doc and see what is going on...sucks.

Can anyone tell me what kind of questions they ask you at the interview?

Also, when do they tell you whether or not you have the job?

Fill in and review the Preparation for the Interview sheet.  Know about the CF and the occupations you are applying for.  They will only tell you if you are competitive for the CF.

In my interview we talked alot about my former and previous jobs and alot about my highschool days such as: what teams or clubs were I on, my marks...
We then talked about why I want to join the military, and why the infantry in particular.

My interview was very relaxed, and the Cpt who interviewd me was a cool guy.

I didnt get asked any of those bullshit questions you get when normally applying for a job like: "Describe to me an instance where youre integrity was questioned and in what manner did you handle it?"

I have my interview and testing May 4 in Regina. The only thing I'm worried about is the physical test. I am on a swim team, but I've never really been good with push-ups. How many exactly are required? I can do at most 20 in the position described in the papers you get in the application folder. How strict are they with these?

you need to be able to do 20, feet together, hands shoulder-width apart, nose to the floor and up again, keeping the body straight the whole time. if you have time, practice on the stairs, doing as many as you can, then resting for a few minutes, then getting back at it for a few more times. take a day off every 3 days or so, and take the day before your test off too. that's what i did and i built up enough to pass the test.. i'm still going strong and i'm now at 38. try moving a step down to increase the resistance.

SaskCiv said:
I have my interview and testing May 4 in Regina. The only thing I'm worried about is the physical test. I am on a swim team, but I've never really been good with push-ups. How many exactly are required? I can do at most 20 in the position described in the papers you get in the application folder. How strict are they with these?

Actually the minimum requirement for (under 35) men is 19 and 9 for women, as found on the recruiting website: http://www.recruiting.forces.ca/media/pdf/physical_fitness_en.pdf

"Evil Russian Pushups" are supposed to be THE hardcore way to get your numbers up (page 2): http://www.specialtactics.com/MILFIT4.pdf
sport23.gif

My very first question as "So, Ross, tell me...why do you want to join the Canadian Forces?" The Captain who interviewed me covered education (experiences in school, etc.), previous work places, sports/clubs involvement, personal life, etc.

They cover enough for you to go *PHEW!* at the end anyways..at least I did, he told me to, lol... But yea, it was really relaxed and not like stupid job interviews where they ask you pointless questons...

I have been booked for an interview on May 11. It is on the same day as a medical.

I want to know, do you have any tips for the interview?

What types of questions should I ask or not ask?

You've been around long enough to know about the search button.  Enter "interview" and you will get a lot of hits.

Make sure you know and understand the past 5 years of your life, and the next 5.

Other than that it's your own personality that will make or break it.

I just had my interview last week. Here's how you should prepare:

1. Know as much as you can about your trade and the CF.

2. Be honest. They are trained to spot liars.

3. Show up looking presentable (I wore a dress shirt and dress pants).

Basically, prepare for this interview like you would for any other.

Back