• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jetstream - The Series

Don't get me wrong, I have only the utmost respect for what they are doing , and I certainly don't think I could do better than each of them given the chance. Was only pointing out what the show seemed to have been foreshadowing.

Max, that certainly is interesting information, and I can see how the show would obviously put a spin on every little thing making it look huge.

Kat Stevens said:
Holy crap, lighten up, Francis.... He's talking about a TV show.  Ever yell at a hockey ref on tv?  I'd like to see you do better....eeeesh. 

Totally agree.

23007 said:
I know who fails off but I'm NOT saying! It's definitely NOT Shamus. For all the twitching that guy does, he is an amazing pilot.

First let me say I have nothing but respect for these people, I understand the demands and stress they are under and admire anyone who can perform at that level.
But...my guess for the student who doesn't make it is Capt. Riel Erickson. She is having trouble with her landings... Smart, very smart, sharp individual but.....

Another SPOILER - well not really, but an issue of MAPLE LEAF last year featured the folks who completed the course.

You can always check the address book on the DIN too.

SF2 said:
Another SPOILER - well not really, but an issue of MAPLE LEAF last year featured the folks who completed the course.

DO NOT
read this if you DO NOT want to know.

Your choice :eek:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/community/mapleleaf/article_e.asp?id=3382

Haletown said:

DO NOT
read this if you DO NOT want to know.

Your choice :eek:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/community/mapleleaf/article_e.asp?id=3382

Thanks, personally I think I will find each show more interesting now that I know who does and does not make it.

From tonight's episode, I remember seeing Lt. "Shamus" Allen put up a handwritten sign on paper "SHAMUS, FOCUS" during their long flight to LAX.

Then he is seen taking a dip at a beach in LA where a sign clearly says "DO NOT SWIM". Then when they're back in Cold Lake, he questions a veteran flight instructor, who has the patch that confirms he's flown 2000 hours on Hornets, on some manuevers that involve simple geometry; earning an instructor's ire is not something Shamus would want to do.

Oh well...  ;D

CougarDaddy said:
a veteran flight instructor who has the patch that confirms he's flown 2000 hours

I noticed the patch said "F/A-18." But he seemed to have CF flight epaulets and flight suit. A pilot who has been on exchange with the USN/USMC?

SupersonicMax said:
There is no CF-18 1000 hrs patch or 2000 hrs patch.  Just F/A-18.

Max

https://www.dbembroidery.com/product_info.php?products_id=15093&sid=1f5201f77a9fd16f297f80fed61f46f1

Amazing what an embroidery shop can make isn't it?

Last nights program was greeeeat.  ;D
For a poor old ground crew who never got to see this side of flying I'm lovin' it.

Inch said:
https://www.dbembroidery.com/product_info.php?products_id=15093&sid=1f5201f77a9fd16f297f80fed61f46f1

Amazing what an embroidery shop can make isn't it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they can't wear this  one can they?  I always thought the F/A-18 XXXX hours patches were giveng by Boeing.

Max

benny88 said:
   I noticed the patch said "F/A-18." But he seemed to have CF flight epaulets and flight suit. A pilot who has been on exchange with the USN/USMC?

Or Australia.  Notice one of the IP's is an Aussie and we have exchange programs across the Forces with Australia.

Also when we downsized the Air Force in the mid nineties, a bunch or our 18 jockies checked out of the CF and enrolled directly in the RAAF at the same rank etc.

Had a very good party in a North Sydney bar on Canada Day/July 1st with a bunch of them  a few years back. 

Baden  Guy said:
First let me say I have nothing but respect for these people, I understand the demands and stress they are under and admire anyone who can perform at that level.
But...my guess for the student who doesn't make it is Capt. Riel Erickson. She is having trouble with her landings... Smart, very smart, sharp individual but.....

I agree.

I mean maybe it is just the producers trying to make the show more interesting, but some of the mistakes she has made seem to be extremely bad.  Like as in why is she still there?

I am paraphrasing, but they did say something on the show to the affect of she almost killed 3 people.  Any job where I have worked before, if I almost killed 3 people, I probably would have my ass canned so fast that it would be unreal.

And from the standpoint of a taxpayer, I don't care if you have spent millions of my dollars training a pilot, if they can't hack it then remove them.

Same goes for Capt. Mike Lewis, if you faint 3 times in a row, then something is going on.  Whether it be physiological or physical.  Something is going wrong. So just cut the taxpayers losses and put him somewhere else.  However, from what the show was saying he was given a chance to do the centrifuge again, but would have to pass it multiple times.  I'm sorry, but that is a waste of the taxpayers money.

This is one of the hardest jobs in the world and there is a lot expected.  If you are not up to par, then cut the losses and try somebody new.

Again, as much as a rant this is, just like to point out it is my unexperienced opinion. For what that's worth.

I think they made the right call on Capt. Lewis.

I personally liked the pre-centrifuge 4 layer burger and smoke shot of Capt. Lewis. They say that helps the Pilot for the test, but those combined with nerves, I think I would be in the can not the centrifuge.

Steel Horse said:
I mean maybe it is just the producers trying to make the show more interesting, but some of the mistakes she has made seem to be extremely bad.  Like as in why is she still there?

I am paraphrasing, but they did say something on the show to the affect of she almost killed 3 people.  Any job where I have worked before, if I almost killed 3 people, I probably would have my ass canned so fast that it would be unreal.

::)

Another Microsoft pilot has spoken

Steel Horse said:
I agree.

As opposed to overtemp-ing an engine during a practice engine failure or taking your aircraft up on your first solo after repeatedly having warnings about the integrity of the flight control systems?

Same goes for Capt. Mike Lewis, if you faint 3 times in a row, then something is going on.  Whether it be physiological or physical.  Something is going wrong. So just cut the taxpayers losses and put him somewhere else.  However, from what the show was saying he was given a chance to do the centrifuge again, but would have to pass it multiple times.  I'm sorry, but that is a waste of the taxpayers money.

This is one of the hardest jobs in the world and there is a lot expected.  If you are not up to par, then cut the losses and try somebody new.

Over at least 2 million has been put into training a student up to this point (am including schooling in this).  What's an extra $1500 in travel costs to send someone of to the centrifuge?  A helluva lot less than throwing that couple of mill out the window and spending the same amount on someone new.

Again, as much as a rant this is, just like to point out it is my unexperienced opinion. For what that's worth.

Just remember that there are many more experienced people kicking around here (and in Cold Lake).  I'm sure the instructors didn't keep these people on course simply because they liked them.  The government and CF trust them to instruct these students and make the right decisions about who stays and who goes.  So should you.  After all, they ARE the experienced ones.  (I can't believe I just said something nice about fighter guys.  Something must seriously be freezing over right now.  ;D)

Steel Horse said:
I agree.

I am paraphrasing, but they did say something on the show to the affect of she almost killed 3 people.  Any job where I have worked before, if I almost killed 3 people, I probably would have my *** canned so fast that it would be unreal.

And from the standpoint of a taxpayer, I don't care if you have spent millions of my dollars training a pilot, if they can't hack it then remove them.

Same goes for Capt. Mike Lewis, if you faint 3 times in a row, then something is going on.  Whether it be physiological or physical.  Something is going wrong. So just cut the taxpayers losses and put him somewhere else.  However, from what the show was saying he was given a chance to do the centrifuge again, but would have to pass it multiple times.  I'm sorry, but that is a waste of the taxpayers money.

This is one of the hardest jobs in the world and there is a lot expected.  If you are not up to par, then cut the losses and try somebody new.

If you check back in the thread you will notice I have since gained more info about who graduates.
You  might want to look into that.  :)

Back