• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Except that prior to the war, he wasn't exactly popular either.
I understand he was especially unpopular with the meritocrats of the governing class. About as popular as Johnson, Trump, Beppe Grillo and the le Pens are with their governing classes.

Trudeau lectures CAF troops in Latvia about climate change, disinformation

Extract:

The Centre of Excellence for Climate Security in Montreal = add to the -2%
Is there another source that he actually “lectured” our troops about this stuff? I wouldn’t put it past him, but if “tnc.news” said the sky was blue, I’d be looking outside to double check.

Is there another source that he actually “lectured” our troops about this stuff? I wouldn’t put it past him, but if “tnc.news” said the sky was blue, I’d be looking outside to double check.
I doubt he "lectured" the troops about anything, but I have zero doubt the climate change talking points were rolled out as part of his speech.

As much as climate change has become politicized, it is a factor in the stability of civilizations. Many ancient civilizations fell because of changes in the local climate, that caused drought, crop failures, or flooding.

The Climate Change Centre of Excellence is a worthwhile endeavor, as it will help facilitate the sharing of climate data, and analysis among NATO allies. It's part of a broader push for better geospatial intelligence sharing in NATO. Related to all of this, Portugal has established a Meteorology and Oceanography Centre of Excellence in Lisbon, and Germany has established a Multi-National Meteorological Support Group to provide forecasts for NATO missions/theatres.

I doubt he "lectured" the troops about anything, but I have zero doubt the climate change talking points were rolled out as part of his speech.

As much as climate change has become politicized, it is a factor in the stability of civilizations. Many ancient civilizations fell because of changes in the local climate, that caused drought, crop failures, or flooding.

The Climate Change Centre of Excellence is a worthwhile endeavor, as it will help facilitate the sharing of climate data, and analysis among NATO allies. It's part of a broader push for better geospatial intelligence sharing in NATO. Related to all of this, Portugal has established a Meteorology and Oceanography Centre of Excellence in Lisbon, and Germany has established a Multi-National Meteorological Support Group to provide forecasts for NATO missions/theatres.

Failure to adapt is a death sentence. Pretending that you can change the inevitable is just sticking your head in the sand and failing to adapt. It is trying to wish a problem away.

Climate Change Is. The correct response is "Get Over It".

Learn how to live with what is available to you where you are.
Or move.

Strangely enough the solution to climate change is Energy. Lots and lots of energy. And Carbon yields lots and lots of energy. And we know how to close the Carbon cycle and reuse it.

But we digress.

One point in Trudeau's favour on the 2% mark.

For the European's that entire 2% can be spent in the domestic economy. No foreign exchange is necessary. Even the blood spilled will be spilled on home turf. And if it wasn't spilled in an organized fashion then it would be spilled in a disorganized fashion.

For the Americans, spending 4% of their GDP on defence, a lot of that too is cycled through their internal economy and while they spend some blood over seas they recover a lot of treasure in exchange from the goods they sell.

Canada is in a different boat.

But now both the Europeans and the Americans agree that the Canadian Arctic is important then any expenditures on the Arctic are likely to be considered as legitimate contributions to the 2% target. Money spent on Rangers, Arctic Response Company Groups, Cambridge Bay, Nanisivik, Iqaluit, Rankin, Yellowknife, Inuvik, Goose Bay, GM Silverados, Roshel Senators, Vancouver UUVs, Ballard Fuel Cells, Radios, RadarSat systems, AOPSs, Coast Guard vessels of all sorts, Mirabel produced helicopters, LAVs, Twotters .... ad infinitum ad nauseam.

And meshing Continental Defence, with Homeland Security, with Emergency Preparedness, with the National Guard opens up a whole other range of possibilities where credit towards the 2% can be given for goods and services that lean more towards election-friendly civilian-useful services than towards expeditionary forces. Bringing the Reserves up to the standards of the National Guard would be a lot cheaper than bringing the Regs up to the standards of the 101st Airborne or the 1st Armored.

Edit - I am going to go further on a limb and suggest that any domestic Air Defence systems are likely to be managed out of North Bay by the RCAF for NORAD while the Navy, possibly getting subs before the CSCs, with the AOPSs coming on line and Vard offering an OPV as a replacement for the MCDVs is also in keeping with politically and diplomatically acceptable expenditures focused on Canada.

I suppose you could say that both the Europeans and the Americans now agree that Canada is under threat and therefore money needs to be spent on it. During the Cold War nobody believed that so Canada was expected to send blood and treasure to Europe and got no credit for National Defence.

Further to this thought -

While Sweden is fielding Leopards and CV90s, Bandvagons and CB90s and fielding two or three more battalions of Archers this is what it is also buying to equip the Main Body.

LSVW II from IVECO.

IDV Light Multi-Purpose Vehicles for Swedish Armed Forces​

The vehicles will guarantee high levels of mobility, compatibility with military and NATO fuels, and adaptability to diverse climatic ranges from -32°C to +49°CBy Defense Advancement / 21 Jun 2023
IDV-Light-Multi-Purpose-Vehicle-1024x644.jpg

Follow DA
Share this
Iveco Defence Vehicles (IDV), a brand of Iveco Group specialized in defense and civil protection equipment, has signed a framework agreement with the Swedish Defence Materiel Administration for delivery of military vehicles.
The agreement will see IDV provide up to 3,000 light vehicles to the Swedish Armed Forces, with an initial order for 400 vehicles worth 850 million SEK.
IDV is tasked, under an agreement of up to nine years, to supply Light Multi-Purpose Vehicles (LMPV) in Military Utility Vehicle (MUV) 4×4 configuration.
The vehicles will guarantee high levels of mobility, compatibility with military and NATO fuels, and adaptability to diverse climatic ranges from -32°C to +49°C. Additionally, the fleet will be covered for reliability and servicing for up to 12 years via dedicated Customer Logistic Support.
The MUV is available in 12 different variants including troop transport, medical, communications and logistics, compliant with NATO standards.
In order to respond to the set of specific technical requirements for the LMPV Project, IDV designed on-purpose solutions and vehicle adaptations. These customization requirements include an Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) performance upgrade in terms of both vehicle and superstructures, thus reaching full military levels of compliance, in-cab predispositions for the integration of communication and military equipment as well as tailor-made superstructures for different roles and applications. These include the possibility to transport the Medical 2 variant within the C-130 airplane while at the same time guaranteeing the functionality of the medical systems and intensive care equipment.
According to IDV, this significant order is a further step forward in its strategic business plan in delivering class-leading defense solutions in a complex international scenario.
Manufacturers and suppliers of light armored vehicles, light tactical vehicles and combat vehicles for military, defense and security operations >>

1689205181210.png

They also contribute to the effective defence of the nation, and that nation is a Front Line State that is used to fending for itself.

Which main body will be equipped with these ? I didn’t see anything related to how they’d be employed. I imagine similar to a g wagon.

Largely not relevant to Trudeau and his spending policy.

Given how much time we spending on Op Lentus tasks I think those troops would probably be interested in his plans to handle what will only be an increase in disasters.

Further to this thought -

While Sweden is fielding Leopards and CV90s, Bandvagons and CB90s and fielding two or three more battalions of Archers this is what it is also buying to equip the Main Body.

LSVW II from IVECO.

View attachment 78801

They also contribute to the effective defence of the nation, and that nation is a Front Line State that is used to fending for itself.
I will come up from the States and bludgeon anyone who suggests another IVECO piece of crap.

Looks like Turkey and Sweden have buried the battle axes.

Spoke too soon....

Turkey won’t clear Sweden’s way into NATO for 3 months, Erdogan says

Though the delay does not fundamentally threaten Sweden’s membership, it could raise concerns among NATO partners that Turkey will use it as a bargaining chip to elicit new political or military concessions.​

By TIM MARTINon July 12, 2023 at 1:31 PM

VILNIUS — Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said today that the country’s parliament will not be able to ratify Sweden’s NATO membership application until October, a delay likely to disappoint Stockholm and NATO nations just days after the way appeared clear for the alliance’s would-be 32nd member.

Erdogan agreed to pass an accession protocol for Sweden to Turkey’s Grand National Assembly on Monday, but he told media at the NATO Summit here that there is a “two-month-long recess for parliament” ending in October and it wouldn’t be possible to take up the matter before that.

Though the delay does not fundamentally threaten Sweden’s membership, it could raise concerns among NATO partners that Ankara will use it as a bargaining chip to elicit new political or military concessions.

For instance, the sale by the US of F-16 fourth generation fighter jets to Turkey,
which has been complicated by strong opposition from Congress, remains one such item. In the wake of Erdogan’s agreement on Sweden’s accession — itself a reversal from an earlier hardline Turkish position — both sides stressed newfound optimism that a deal could be completed soon.

Erdogan said today that he was “more hopeful than ever” about the acquisition going ahead. Earlier in the day, Jake Sullivan, US national security adviser, said that President Joe Biden is “eager” to close the deal and “continues to consult closely” with Congress to make it happen.
“The president tells us that the US Congress is binding on F-16s, and he told us that he would do everything at his disposal to pass the deal,” added Erdogan. “We need to ratify the NATO deal, they need to get through Congress.”

Reuters reported in January that the Biden administration had notified Congress of a deal worth $20 billion for 40 new F-16s, later further described [PDF] as Block 70/72 Viper standard (F-16Vs) and Viper upgrade packages for 79 existing aircraft, in addition to 900 air-to-air missiles and 800 bombs.

Washington previously denied Turkey purchase of up to 100 F-35 fifth generation fighter jets and removed it from the Joint Strike Fighter program altogether in response to Ankara’s acquisition of Russian S-400 air defense systems.

Erdogan downplayed any suggestion that the US Congress might look to apply conditions to the F-16 deal however, such as restricting Turkey using the aircraft against Greece, as a dispute over the Aegean Sea lingers.

“Regarding Greece, and Northern Cyprus, we met [Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos] Mitsotakis today,” Erdogan said. “We don’t have a cause to gain more enemies. At today’s meeting, we discussed the ways to deepen our friendship. Our meeting today was a re-foundation of our relationship. To this date our F-16s weren’t used in that way, and from now on they won’t be used in that way [against Greece].”

Turkey still can't build a modern Fighter on its own despite being able to build "drones", ships and trucks with some innovative ideas.

Spoke too soon....

Turkey won’t clear Sweden’s way into NATO for 3 months, Erdogan says

Though the delay does not fundamentally threaten Sweden’s membership, it could raise concerns among NATO partners that Turkey will use it as a bargaining chip to elicit new political or military concessions.​

By TIM MARTINon July 12, 2023 at 1:31 PM

Turkey still can't build a modern Fighter on its own despite being able to build "drones", ships and trucks with some innovative ideas.
He’s angling for more.
He better watch out his hand doesn’t get bitten. As the rest of NATO may decide that a degraded/defunct Russia no longer needs Turkey especially if Ukraine is onboard…

Like I thought. Cook the books until that 2% comes to fruition
There's a lot of jiggery-pokery that'll be needed to reach 2% according to the Parliamentary Budget Officer - here's how much more'll need to be spent over time to get to 2% (source - full report from last summer also attached)
Screenshot 2023-07-13 120140.jpg

Attachments

• RP-2223-010-S--canada-military-expenditure-nato-2-spending-target--depenses-militaires-canada-...pdf
    391.1 KB · Views: 2
Interesting that the plan, both in dollars and as a percentage of target, is trending towards 2%, not decreasing.

Back