• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Yeah maybe we'll get a young forward thinking energized minister who will pull out all the stops to ensure the CAF is well staffed and equipped.....

Or more like ;)

Office Boss GIF

There is not much talent in the current Liberal pool who can actually handle the demands of being the MND. As an outsider looking in, I found Ms. Annand to be a disciplined and pragmatic minister who took her job seriously with respect to: (1) development of a new defence white paper (yet to be published) to guide the CAF for near, intermediate future and far future; (2) clean up the sexual harassment mess; (3) resolve major capital projects procurement tangle; and (4) recruiting and retention. It is a shame that she was not given more time in the job.

With the focus of the Liberals to be towards the economy it will mean the Defence budget, the largest discretionary spending allocation in the federal budget, will be come under immense pressure by the other federal ministers. Even with the current international (Ukraine, China, Russia) and domestic (forest fires) crises and demand for a rapid military response (easy red button) there will incessant demands from the other departments for allocation from defence funding to support their individual department goals as part of the holistic government approach.

What gives me hope is that PM Trudeau is looking for international validation from world leaders, and to be frank, I think that most of them think of him as a light weight and he knows it. I'm assuming that he got a closed door smack down from the US, UK, and the other NATO Allies at the recent NATO conference. Appointing a talented MP to be the MND, with PM support, to resolve the underlying malaise within DND and to quickly revitalize the CAF will help PM Trudeau's legacy.

As for submarine replacement, who knows?
MBT replacement, who knows?
Arty replacement, who knows?
Res F revitalization , who knows?
Griffon helicopter replacement, who knows?
Change in CAF org to better reflect future threats, who knows?
More funding for Log, Admin, Med, Engr, Sigs, who knows?
Reduce bureaucracy in NDHQ, who knows?
CAF infrastructure revitalization, who knows?

Power and politics just speculated that She may land at Treasury and Bill Boyle goes to Defence. Who T #$%@ is Bill Boyle
I'm pretty sure you heard that wrong. Likely Bill Blair.

Back