• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

The 'Money Shot' is quickly approaching.

Somehow I think no one is going to walk away even remotely satisfied from this encounter.

We can debate who has better kit but the ability to utilize the US manufacturing and supply chain with commonality of parts is something the Euros can't even approach to being on par with.
Even the US is producing some Euro kit under license because, objectively, there is some Euro kit that is really impressive.

(Naval Strike Missile is a good example.)

Agreed tho. The US is our next door neighbour, closest friend & family member, and war is a full time gig of theirs. Not taking advantage of their supply chains & manufacturing is just silly.

"While announcing the launch of a review of Canada’s defence policy, the budget promised $6.1-billion over five years in direct new spending by the Defence Department to increase the capabilities of the Canadian Armed Forces, with an additional $1.4-billion in annual spending on the armed forces after that."

That works out to be 1.22$billion/yr or LESS than inflation - basically a 5%/yr increase - a giant F-you in other words.

Edit: I wish that the US and NATO calls us out on this and totally belittles and humiliates us for this.

"While announcing the launch of a review of Canada’s defence policy, the budget promised $6.1-billion over five years in direct new spending by the Defence Department to increase the capabilities of the Canadian Armed Forces, with an additional $1.4-billion in annual spending on the armed forces after that."

That works out to be 1.22$billion/yr or LESS than inflation - basically a 5%/yr increase - a giant F-you in other words.

Edit: I wish that the US and NATO calls us out on this and totally belittles and humiliates us for this.
That 1.22$ billion/yr will most likely be the total all in cost to cover the daily expenses necessary to address the shortfall of 6,500 in personnel.

It really is time for them to insist up or out for us.

Even the US is producing some Euro kit under license because, objectively, there is some Euro kit that is really impressive.

(Naval Strike Missile is a good example.)

Agreed tho. The US is our next door neighbour, closest friend & family member, and war is a full time gig of theirs. Not taking advantage of their supply chains & manufacturing is just silly.

Exactly. Their manufacturing and supply chain is so good they are building other people's kit too, for themselves.

That right there is a war winning ability.

I strongly suspect that out year funding is going to be announced recurrently over the next year at times that are politically opportune. This is Act one, Scene one.
Don't hold your breath or bet your life on that assumption.

You guys know better than I- it’s part of why I love reading on this forum.

Is this increase an actual increase or with the incremental cost of EVERYTHING going up- is it actually even a change?

If ten pairs of boots were a hundred bucks and now they are 130- if we can still only afford ten pairs…have we done anything?

I ran into this this year planning my money for the area I’m running. There were large increases across the board- to produce the same/similar service, not even beginning to improve.

Like substantial increases in some areas.

So not even to 2% despite the passed motion in government- how the F does Canada even think they are a democratic national let alone relevant?
To be fair, I am not sure we have the capacity to spend even the modest increase we just received…

So not even to 2% despite the passed motion in government- how the F does Canada even think they are a democratic national let alone relevant?
We are not democratic in the sense we all get a say. Toronto and Quebec get the big say and peasants like us west of Ontario can damn well stop complaining and be good Canadians.

I think this just reaffirmed to NATO and the U.S. that we are not only a bad faith partner, but a no faith partner. In true Canadian fashion, we lined our own pockets at the expense of our friends and allies.

Honestly, I would love to see us booted from NATO and NORAD just to prove a point. How quickly would we need to spend money to cover those shortfalls? Hell of a lot more than 20-25 Billion a year.

I think this just reaffirmed to NATO and the U.S. that we are not only a bad faith partner, but a no faith partner. In true Canadian fashion, we lined our own pockets at the expense of our friends and allies.

Honestly, I would love to see us booted from NATO and NORAD just to prove a point. How quickly would we need to spend money to cover those shortfalls? Hell of a lot more than 20-25 Billion a year.
I would be ashame to be in front on any allied military right now. That places Canada on borrowed time, that’s all.

I'd love it if Canada were called out very publicly by the US and major NATO nations - the UK, Germany etc. It would be worth the price of admission to see Justin scolded.

I wish that were the case but in all honesty we probably wouldn't spend another penny. We'd just trust that the US wouldn't allow anyone to touch our territory because it's a risk to them.

Back