• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Media Bias [Merged]

Nobody has ever accused Greens of all stripes with being anything other than capitalists.  The more sensational the story, the louder the cash register rings.  I think the true volunteers are scarce.

Ah, the good old G & M. Not a liberal message in their organization.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/sun-burns-cbc-in-bid-to-hype-tabloid-tv/article1970923/

Sun burns CBC in bid to hype tabloid TV

From Tuesday's Globe and Mail - updated Apr. 05, 2011- Simon Houpt

Executives at the right-wing news chain Sun Media may not want to hear this, but they have a lot in common with Michael Ignatieff. Like the Liberal Leader, they’re throwing mud and schoolyard taunts at a dominant player, using the platform of the federal election to whip up enthusiasm for their message – and their new medium.

Since the writ was dropped 10 days ago, the Sun chain of newspapers has run more than half a dozen articles accusing the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation of political bias, effectively running parallel commercial and ideological campaigns.

The attacks are helping to fuel the chain’s ongoing marketing campaign for the April 18 launch of Sun TV, which is promising “Hard News and Straight Talk.”

Last Wednesday, Sun papers across the country proclaimed on their cover: “CBC Full of Grit,” pointing to an inside story that attacked an online election engagement tool sponsored by CBC, saying it improperly told some people their political leanings made them natural Liberal voters. Two days later, the Sun reported that Peter Loewen, a professor who helped develop the tool, had worked on Michael Ignatieff’s first Liberal leadership campaign. Each news report was accompanied by an editorial or op-ed decrying the corporation’s perceived bias. Then on Monday, the Sun hit the CBC again, running a story about the criminal prosecution filed against the broadcaster by the fashion designer Peter Nygard.

The attacks are evidently unprecedented in Canadian election history. “I’ve been looking at media coverage of elections since the sixties, and I don’t remember anything like this,” said Fred Fletcher, a professor emeritus of communication studies and political science at York University.

As a public broadcaster, the CBC says it goes to extraordinary lengths to ensure its journalism is free of bias, hiring the Toronto media analysis company Cormex Research to review its broadcasts and Internet offerings, and submit regular reports to network executives.

As a private enterprise, Sun Media has no such restrictions: Indeed, its biases are a part of its appeal.

Now the CBC is claiming those biases may be getting the better of the story. On Monday afternoon, the CBC released a letter it had sent the Sun to complain about its coverage over the Vote Compass issue. “The Sun had information that Peter Loewen also worked for Tom Flanagan during Stephen Harper’s 2004 leadership campaign and later for Nova Scotia Progressive Conservative leadership candidate Bill Black, but chose not to share that information with its readers,” read the letter. “In fact, Mr. Flanagan is on record noting that assistant professor Loewen is an outstanding researcher without an ounce of partisan in him.”

On Monday afternoon I reached out to the Toronto Sun to discuss the strategy behind its editorial policy. I explained in an e-mail to editor-in-chief James Wallace that, while the Sun has often made sport of kicking the CBC, “with the imminent launch of Sun TV and the current election campaign, there seems to be a new spring in your step.”

Though it is a subsidiary of the multi-billion-dollar Quebecor Inc., the Sun cultivates an image of blue-collar scrapper, eager to drop the gloves at a moment’s notice. Mr. Wallace promised that someone would get back to me shortly. Ninety minutes later, after I prodded him again, he’d apparently had a change of heart: “Hi Simon,” he said. “We're happy to let our stories speak for themselves. Cheers.”

I am proud to present an ideal format for  unbiased political reporting

The ideal political taking heads Nibu and Tibu ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svq8yd99AzE

And here is an example of very biased reporting - just for comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3n466POrIE&NR=1

This, reproduced under the fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from the Ottawa Citizen, might be relevant:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Vaderization+Harper/4572593/story.html
The Vaderization of Harper

BY KATE HEARTFIELD, OTTAWA CITIZEN

APRIL 7, 2011 

4574516.bin

At the outset of the campaign Liberal Ralph Goodale went as far as to call Conservative leader Stephen Harper Darth Vader.
Photograph by: Supplied Photo, The Ottawa Citizen

The day the government fell, the demonization of Stephen Harper began in earnest. Again. On March 25, in a radio interview with CBC's As It Happens, Liberal Ralph Goodale blamed the government for not giving Parliament the information it needed to make decisions "on the basis of fact, rather than just political rhetoric." He went on to say, "The prime minister is very much the solitary Darth Vader who works in the dark in the middle of the night and doesn't allow people to get close to him."

Oh no, the Liberals would never stoop to political rhetoric.

Darth Vader? That's so far past ridiculous it's crossing the border into parody; at this rate, soon the Liberals will be using the phrase "reptilian kitten-eater" and they'll be serious.

Apparently, the Liberals didn't learn much from losing the 2006 election, after they warned Canadians that Conservatives wanted "soldiers with guns in our cities." The temptation, when you're running second in the polls, is to scream ever louder and say nastier things. But hyperbole probably won't help and can backfire.

The current Liberal catchphrase "Harper regime" is, in part, a response to the rebranding of the government as the "Harper government." And, unlike "Liberal-led coalition," "Harper regime" has the benefit of being, strictly speaking, accurate. But its connotations of dictatorship are not accidental. The idea is to make Canadians think Stephen Harper is a dangerous, power-mad tyrant. He's not.

The caricature of Harper does bear some similarity to the flesh and-blood original, of course. Yes, Harper and his party have centralized control, favoured ideology over evidence, manipulated the democratic process, bullied civil servants, exhibited mistrust and disrespect for Parliament, the media and even, sometimes, the public -as shown by the party's strict vetting of participants at rallies and willingness to eject anyone whose partisan allegiance is in doubt.

Yes, this government has real flaws, flaws that should concern conservatives and liberals alike. But the Harper-as-dictator caricature is so over-the-top silly that it risks, paradoxically, obscuring those flaws and preventing any substantive discussion of them. The hapless Canadian left is creating a straw man for the right to bat aside effortlessly. Again.

In case you were starting to fear that Canada really is flirting with authoritarianism, I offer myself as a comforting example. I've written critically about the Harper government many times, both under my own byline and as one writer of the Citizen's unsigned editorials. We see it as part of our job to hold the government of the day to account, whatever its partisan stripe. I am not in jail. I have never been threatened with jail, or with any other punishment, for anything I've written. MPs from all parties, including the Conservatives, even return my calls.

We do not live in a dictatorship, and using that language in an election campaign -note the irony, please -does a disservice to all the human beings who do live under authoritarian regimes.

The hyperbole isn't limited to politicians. A few Toronto Star columnists have compared Canada's current government to dictatorships, or described Harper as dictatorial. The Star's Heather Mallick has warned of a nearapocalypse: "Guns on the street, gated communities, rampant drug use, unlimited anonymous corporate political donations, no government safety standards for food and medicine, classrooms that resemble holding pens more than civilized safe rooms for the young to learn. If Harper got his majority, these things would hit us like an avalanche."

Ah yes. Guns on the street. Where have I heard that before?

Of course, the right has its excesses. The Conservative MP for Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke, Cheryl Gallant, had to apologize recently for calling Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff "Igaffi" on Twitter -apparently a clumsy attempt to compare him with Moammar Gadhafi. And the Conservative attack ads about Ignatieff are tacky and misleading.

But while the Conservatives have a maddening cat-in-thecream grin that shows they know they're full of it whenever they say "coalition," some of their counterparts on the left seem to believe their own fearmongering. Ryan Dolby, who recently stepped down as the NDP candidate in Elgin-Middlesex-London and endorsed his Liberal rival, said he did it because he was "really worried" about what Stephen Harper would do to the country if he got a majority.

We Canadian fans of Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart watched smugly as they organized the "Rally to Restore Sanity And/Or Fear" last year, the point of which was to encourage reasonable, civil debate in the United States. One of the slogans was "I disagree with you but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler."

Maybe Canada will need its own rally for sanity before this campaign is over. I wouldn't mind seeing a few protesters carrying signs that read, "I disagree with Stephen Harper but I'm pretty sure he's not a dictator."

Kate Heartfield is the Citizen's deputy editorial pages editor. Follow her at Twitter.com/ kateheartfield.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

It is often said that much of the media is pro-Liberal. Some of it is, some of it is pro-NDP and some is actually pro-Conservative (I’m ignoring the French language media and its, more complex, biases.) But I think that, since the 1960s, most journalists and most ‘journals’ – including TV news programmes – have, consciously and even proudly self identified as anti-conservative. Most of those journalists would call themselves liberals – using the bastardized, incorrect meaning of that world invented by stupid and lazy right wing commentators and journalists (like conservative “hero” William F Buckley) back in the 1960s.

The problem isn’t bias, in my view, it is a herd mentality and intellectual shallowness.

An update from a earlier post: Sun burns CBC in bid to hype tabloid TV

The Blog has links embedded. See link. Interesting info on the CBC near the end.

All tied in: background of  Vote Compass, SUN News TV, the "neutral" Hill media, Stephen Staples @ $1000 per appearance, etc.

As someone wrote, as a letter to the Editor of the Halifax Chronicle:

“When Liberal- friendly columnists posing as reporters base their stories  on what fellow Liberal- friendly commentators have to say on political TV  shows hosted by Liberal friendly TV talk show hosts pretending to be unbiased commentators, you have to know the fix is in."

http://blogs.canoe.ca/lilleyspad/

Andrew Potter doesn’t know squat

brian.lilley - April 6th, 2011

Andrew Potter, writer and thinker. Not a prostitute, intellectual or otherwise.

I am an intellectual prostitute. I know this because Andrew Potter told me so and if anyone knows intellectual prostitutes it’s Andrew Potter.

Andrew who?

For those of you unfamiliar with Potter he is, “a Canadian philosopher, author, and magazine columnist.” According to his Wikipedia entry, which he surely wrote himself, Potter has an academic background in “metaphysics and political philosophy, post-secondary educational policy, branding, consumerism and popular culture. He maintains an interest in technology and the future of the news media.”

Ring any bells?

You might have read him in your dentist’s office if you picked up Macleans where he supposedly has a column or in Canadian Business where he writes stuff but otherwise…..meh.

Oh, and he wrote a book called Authenticity Hoax, which remarkably is a book on our culture and not his autobiography.

Anyway, Potter is upset because I wrote an article that linked one of his friends to the CBC Vote Compass in a way he didn’t like. In the article I pointed out that Peter Loewen, a University of Toronto political science professor, is part of CBC’s Vote Compass.

Of course I didn’t point this out to promote CBC’s “tool.” The state broadcaster is doing plenty of promotion on their own. What was also of interest was part of Loewen’s past.

Loewen was a policy advisor on Michael Ignatieff’s failed 2006 Liberal leadership campaign.

Cue Potter’s outrage!

In addition to being upset that I wrote a story critical of one his pals, Potter claims that I engaged in a “deliberate withholding of facts.”

“As Peter Loewen himself told Lilley when Lilley interviewed him for his March 31 story, Loewen did the same sort of work for Harper in 2004 that he later did for Ignatieff. Loewen was also a staffer for a  Nova Scotia Progressive Conservative leadership candidate in 2005. And he once donated money to Pierre Poilievre’s nomination campaign.”

Sounds like I did something wrong here. Potter tells me I’ve been a bad, bad boy.

“This information was available to Brian Lilley, his editor, and to Ezra Levant. It is thoroughly despicable that it was not included in the stories that were published.”

Loewen never told me that he “did the same sort of work for Harper in 2004 that he later did for Ignatieff.” What he did say is that he “did some work” for Flanagan.

Well, we checked with Flanagan, actually he emailed us to defend Loewen ahead of us contacting him and here’s what he said.

“Peter didn’t work for me in the sense of being a paid employee, but I shared data and discussed things with him.  I have no doubts about his objectivity.  I’d hate to see a promising young guy like him become roadkill on the media highway.”

So while it could have been nice to include the line about Flanagan defending Loewen’s objectivity, to do so would have required me pointing out that Flanagan denied the young academic worked for him.

Just for the record, there were other emails about this. Flanagan denied Loewen worked for him or the Harper campaign. Here’s an email from Flanagan on April 5th, after The Globe chimed in on this.

“The story has gotten a little distorted, I think.  He was never on my payroll.  I think maybe five years ago I sent him some data when we were emailing back and forth about a research project of his.  I really can’t recall the details.”

And then again on April 6th after Macleans repeated the CBC claim that Loewen had worked on the Harper campaign.

“He was not a paid employee of the national campaign in 2004.  I don’t know what he may have done in a local campaign.  After the campaign, I had a lengthy email correspondence with him about some research he was doing, and I think we shared some data.”

I normally wouldn’t share private emails, especially ones that I wasn’t even a part of, but someone else has released some of this and is using it to claim I left out information.

Again, if I had included the claim that Loewen had worked for Flanagan, now exaggerated by CBC and his supporters to say he worked on the Harper campaign, I would have had to have included Flanagan’s denial and essentially called Loewen a liar.

So what about the other info?

Loewen did tell me he worked on Bill Black’s bid for the leadership of the Progressive Conservative Party in Nova Scotia. Really that’s not the point here. The story was about someone connected to a controversial voting guide that had links to one of the leaders in a federal election. In addition, provincial and federal parties don’t always match up, just look at Liberals in BC.

It is also true that Loewen once gave $50, that’s what he told me, to Pierre Poilievre’s nomination race in 2004. The young would-be MP is an old roommate of Poilievre’s. My old roommate is a big Liberal who I have helped with campaigns, including helping to raise far in excess of $50. I was helping a friend back then and that’s what Loewen was doing.

I included the most pertinent connection to the Tories there was. Loewen told me he gave $100 to attend a fundraiser for Stephen Harper to hear the Conservative leader speak. I also included Loewen saying he had no role in the placement of the parties and that he was not biased.

It appears Potter, CBC and others would have preferred I remain silent on this issue but something tells me no one would have been silent if it was Ian Brodie, the academic turned Harper chief of staff, who was working on Vote Compass.

I’ve now written about twice as many words to explain my story as I did in telling it. I shouldn’t have to do this, other media outlets don’t attack the journalism of their competitors the way they attack Sun Media.

There are a couple of simple reasons for this.

First we are about to launch Sun News Network. Lots of people don’t like that. We promise to be different, to steal away part of their audience and they were quite comfy with the way things were before we came along.

Second, I’ve been pretty active in the pages of all our papers in writing about CBC and their dismal record in telling us where they spend the $1.1 billion tax dollars that they receive from us each year. Journalists, especially elite ones like Potter or those in the Press Gallery, LOVE CBC. And I mean LOVE.

In my experience, when a reporter on Parliament Hill says they saw something on the news or heard it on the radio they are inevitably talking about CBC. Peter Mansbridge may host the third most watched national newscast but for Hill people he’s still number one!

It is important to note that CBC probably has about one-third of the memberships in the Parliamentary Press Gallery. Then there are all the other reporters. When you see a reporter from another media outlet on CBC giving their analysis, just remember they are not there for free.

CBC pays anywhere from $200 an appearance for these extra reporters and analysts to close to $1,000 per appearance.

Your tax dollars buying up the gallery.

If you’ve ever wondered why there are not more stories on CBC and how they spend your money, you now know the answer. It wouldn’t do to bite the hand feeding you.

I’d stick up for Ezra Levant, my fellow intellectual prostitute, but Ezra’s already done pretty well himself.

Too bad the NP wasn't faster getting this out, will be interesting to see if it has built in bias:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/04/05/election-2011-help-your-favourite-party-seize-control-with-geopollster-and-the-national-post/

Election 2011: Help your favourite party seize control with GeoPollster and Foursquare

Chris Boutet  Apr 5, 2011 – 4:15 PM ET | Last Updated: Apr 6, 2011 6:55 PM ET

Introducing GeoPollster Canada: Part real-world election game, part mobile polling experiment.

If the election took place tomorrow, who would you vote for?

It’s the go-to question for pollsters come campaign time. But with most traditional polls conducted by cold-calling random Canadians on landline telephones, it’s also a question that only a very few of us will ever get a chance to answer. It got us at the National Post thinking: What would polling data look like if anyone with a smartphone could answer that same question, anytime they wanted?

That’s why today, the Post is pleased to announce that we have partnered with real-time location-based polling startup GeoPollster to offer Canadians a new way to have your say and support your party of choice: By checking in with your Foursquare account.

The result of this collaboration is GeoPollster Canada: Part real-world election game, part mobile polling experiment. Here’s how it works:

First, go to nationalpost.com/geopollster and sign into the service with your Foursquare account. (If you don’t have an account, you can sign up for one here.)

Next, select which political party you currently support: The Liberals, Conservatives, New Democrats, Green or Bloc Québecois. (This information is completely private will never be displayed.) Then, every time you check into a Foursquare venue anywhere in Canada, GeoPollster will count your checkin as a “vote” for that party. Votes are tallied in real-time to determine polling data for each venue and expressed on our live updating map.

Your checkin votes will help your favourite political party “seize control” of venues such as coffee shops and gyms, cities, provinces and perhaps even the country as a whole. As more checkin data comes in, a unique representation of Canada’s political landscape will begin to take shape on the explorable Geopollster map.

You can also keep up with the action on Twitter by following @geopollstercan, where you’ll find live updates like this one as political dynasties rise and fall across the country in real-time:
GeoPollster Canada@geopollstercan
GeoPollster Canada
New Democrats seize control of Canada. http://tinyurl.com/3rvo6bs #cdnpoli #elxn41
April 3, 2011 6:23 pm via GeoPollster CanadaReplyRetweetFavorite

Throughout the election campaign, the Post will be keeping a close eye on GeoPollster checkins and posting updates as the dataset evolves. We’re not sure what we’ll discover, but we’re excited to find out.

Of course this is not a scientific poll and does not purport to truly reflect the broad views of Canadians. But with our GeoPollster Canada experiment, our hope is to not only provide our readers with a fun, casual way to support their party of choice, but also to learn more about the value of using location-based services to collect a wide range of mobile polling data.

So join us, won’t you? Head over to nationalpost.com/geopollster and get started by choosing your party today. (And say, while you’re at it, why not follow the National Post on Foursquare?)

Chris Boutet
Senior Producer, Digital Media
National Post
@chrisboutet

Of course this is not a scientific poll and does not purport to truly reflect the broad views of Canadians.
You think?  ::)

It doesn't "truly" reflect anything of value....except perhaps how many times NDP supporters go to Starbucks, or Bloc fans use Cafe Morgan.

If only we had a literate electorate, this, and the CBC's "Vote Liberal" spam survey, wouldn't get any coverage

The CBC is the biggest offender, and because they are funded by tax dollars this is totally unacceptable. If a private network or organization wants to display bias, at least I don't have to support them by purchasing their product or viewing their shows:

http://cruxofthematterinfo.wordpress.com/2011/04/25/biggest-loser-in-election-2011-media-coverage-will-be-truth/

Biggest loser in election 2011 media coverage will be “truth”
APRIL 25, 2011 BY SANDY  0 COMMENTS

There is a very well-known phrase – truth is the first casualty of war. Well, given what I have seen and heard during this Canadian federal election campaign, I would have to say that truth was the first casualty of mainstream media election coverage, particularly that provided by the state sponsored CBC, as well as the private CTV and, to a lesser extent, Global and CPAC.

Specifically, has there been equal coverage of all the political leaders? No, not even close. Have all the leaders been asked the same questions? No. In fact, I can recall few substantive questions being asked of Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff or NDP Leader Jack Layton, such as the total cost of their promises, or how they would change Canada’s role in Afghanistan or Libya.

The single exception would have been Peter Mansbridge’s interview with Michael Ignatieff, which was tougher than expected, likely because SunNewsNetwork had recently come on the scene. 

But, perhaps the worst example of media omission and untruth relates to a Conservative rally last week (H/T NewsWatchCanada.ca). The CBCs Terry Milewski asked Prime Minister Stephen Harper a three-part, very long four-minute question, that sounded more like a diatribe.

Did, in fact, the partisan crowd drown out either Milewski’s question or the PM’s answer — as was reported widely? No, it did not. I saw the event live and noted that the PM answered the entire question BEFORE the cheering started.

Why the cheering? Likely because the public, no matter what their political preferences, are fed up with the media’s lies, omissions, innuendo and daily faux scandals.

For instance, today’s news is a perfect example. On the one hand, we have a photo image of a volunteer working for Liberal MP Joe Volpe, actually removing Green Party campaign literature from a mail box within feet of Volpe, which, apart from blogosphere coverage, gets no media attention at all. Yet, sending an incorrect e-mail for a Conservative candidate is top of the news at SunNewsNetwork.  Why is this relevant? Because removing campaign literature is allegedly illegal according to Elections Canada rules, while sending a data base containing personal information to the wrong person via e-mail, while wrong and sloppy, is not illegal. 

Now, the questions are: (1) Why does the media have such blatant double standards? And, (2) Why is truth going to be the casuality of this election?

Well, here is an essay worth reading that might answer that question. It is by a well-respected investigative reporter by the name of John Pilger. It is not about the Canadian media per se but about how the Western media lies about war by omission and how that deliberate avoidance of the truth leads to a type of media corruption.

Thankfully, however, as the long list of Canadian journalists who are fair on my sidebar proves, there are many journalists who try to rise above the unprofessionalism — including most of those reporting for the new SunNewsNetwork.

The crux of the matter is then, is the media bias and censorship a type of self-censorship and individual bias or is it censorship by management, or a bit of both? Either way, once the dust settles after May 2nd, 2011, the biggest loser in this election will not be political candidates but “truth” in the Canadian media.

Listening to Dave Rutherford.....one caller commented on Robert Fife CTV commenting that "We're gonna get him" in one of his commentaries....not sure of what it was specifically in reference to about the CPC, but it's out there....

Perhaps This GAP  Scroll down to comment from Peterb.

So far unsubstantiated.

I don't want to be an alarmist, but inadvertently, there was something very disturbing, told Canadians on the CTV News Network Saturday morning, that should be of great concern about the neutrality, impartiality and the role of some members of the media in this election campaign.
In reporting about a Harper rally this morning, and the questioning of the Prime Minister, Robert Fife told Jackie Milczarek "We'll get him".
This conjures up a picture of some sort of conspiracy by some members of the media, to undermine or carry out some subversive attack in the dying days of Harper's campaign, to influence the results of this election or worse - certainly not the role of a supposedly impartial media.
I think it behooves Robert Fife and CTV, to make public who all constitites the "we", because otherwise, this is a suspicion and smear of other members of the media who are innocent , professional and not deserving of this accusation of unprofessional conduct.
Are Canadians , Elections Canada , CRTC and Harper's protective detail entitled to an explanation of this threat? Has the media watch dog been alerted?
At best Canadians should be warned of the objectivity and neutrality of some members of the media, in their coverage of this election campaign, and that some individual media types are not above distorting and misrepresenting their reports to Canadians.
The report that include that threat of "we'll get him" aired shortly after 11:00 A.M. CST, and I see any reference to it has been removed since in Fife's reports - for a cover up, and what I would say are obvious reasons. Does CTV brass think that Robert Fife should remain as a reporter on the campaign trail or are their viewers entitled to a more ethical and reputable coverage? Here is the opportunity for CTV to demonstrate to Canadians who have expressed concerns about biased coverage, that they will not countenance any hint of it, on their network coverage of the election campaign and that their integrity is more important than a reporter's personal vendetta.
I expect CTV will be issuing an apology to their Canadian viewers.

A further example of media bias, this time from canada.com. A clear attempt to make a positive story a negative.

Conservatives remain on defensive as polls slip into their favour
By Mark Kennedy, Andrew Mayeda, Althia Raj and Mike De Souza, Postmedia News April 21, 2011

Link

Read the article and tell me if you can reconcile the headline with the content. I sure can't. I can't see how a rise in the polls puts one on the defensive. Nor can I understand the context of the headline... it's contradictory to say the least.

IF Harper gets a substantial majority and IF the groundswell across the country is clearly in favour, how much trouble would it be to pull the plug on the CBC and privatize it?

We'd, of course, have all the artsy farsty types that make their living off bad movies and miniseries, supported by our tax dollars and the usual, 'Harper is evil' cabal.

Seriously though, how much trouble would it be to split them off from the radio section and sell them off?

recceguy said:
IF Harper gets a substantial majority and IF the groundswell across the country is clearly in favour, how much trouble would it be to pull the plug on the CBC and privatize it?

We'd, of course, have all the artsy farsty types that make their living off bad movies and miniseries, supported by our tax dollars and the usual, 'Harper is evil' cabal.

Seriously though, how much trouble would it be to split them off from the radio section and sell them off?

Not a HUGE problem if it is done very quickly and is done a part of a larger "sell off" of government 'stuff' that includes, just for the sake of argument, Defence Construction Ltd, Marine Atlantic and VIA Rail. Selling off the CBC, all by itself, would look churlish.

Someone has actually bothered to begin collecting various examples of biased media clips ... choose reporter of choice ...

http://wn.com/Robert_Fife

Another one: http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/04/19/liberal-volunteer-charged-in-connection-with-theft-of-tory-signs/

Liberal volunteer charged in connection with theft of Tory signs

Caught red handed (going through the red door).

I do not understand why the slashing on tires and scratching of an"L" is front page news in all the media. The thrust is that it is the evil Cons are doing this. Sound bite from Iggy (of course) stating that all party leaders should condemn these acts. Newsreader states the other two party leaders have done so.

It could be that it is just a bunch of vandals.

Anyway, the last I heard, the Toronto Police have twenty reported cases of slashed tires and "L"s. Front page news.

Of course we all know that every crime is reported don't we Iggy and Jack.

ModlrMike said:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/04/25/cv-election-volpe.html

Here's an article on the CBC about Joe Jolpe's volunteer.

Notice the article is closed to comments. I bet there would be several thousand if this was a Tory.

Indeed; I've just been skimming through the stories links and it would seem that any articles about the Tories are open for comments ... and let me tell you, there's some doozies of RTFOOer comments on them ...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadavotes2011/story/2011/04/25/cv-election-harper-042511.html#

Wonder why they would not even allow comments for articles looking bad about the Grits, while every other party, and it's candidates, seem to be fair game for comments on CBC when it's a "bad news for so and so" article.  ::)

Back