• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Technician - Unskilled, Semi-skilled, Skilled Application

I suppose you also crunched the numbers on:

Dental Care;
Medical;
Chances to travel in your employment;
Real Estate Fees, and Movement Costs;
Different Allowances;
Continuous upgrading of your specialized skills;
Tax Free Wages while Deployed; and
Pension Plan.

Sorry, i meant to say 3rd year private wage; i have had many people at the recruitng centre just say P3, so i just sort of ran with it out of habbit.

I would like to mention that there are so many more perks like Gearge listed that have me interested, and wasn't trying to come off money hungry, but for some of us, regardless of how awesome things sound, we simply can't make a starting pay grade of $30,000 work. I have an ex wife and 3 kids, so this is something i have to strongly consider.

Parmedics who think the job owes them something more than they owe to it are seldom happy. 
I suspect it is likewise in the CF.
Here is the story of one of ours who is making his last trip today:
http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2009/01/18/8060636-sun.html

mariomike said:
Parmedics who think the job owes them something more than they owe to it are seldom happy. 
I suspect it is likewise in the CF.

I suspect you are correct...regardless of the type or place of employment.

Very true, I make great money right now but I am more than happy to take a pay cut and do some time in the CF.

Civvymedic said:
Very true, I make great money right now <snip>

The Public Sector Salary Disclosure showed one of our ( Toronto EMS ) guys ( not me by a long shot ) made over $208,000 in 2007. The Mayor made $160,000.
This is a matter of public record:
http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/english/publications/salarydisclosure/2008/munic08.html
The 2008 list is not yet out.
It should go without saying that job satisfaction, and the employer you work for, is more important than financial reward. I have no regrets, but the job isn't for everyone.

Unglunk said:
    If your are a PCP, applying semi skilled, from a CMA accredited course on the CF list of accepted schools, you will recieve the following: A $10,000 signing bonus, $5000 on completion of BMQ, and another $5000 at the end of your first year. You will start out as a Private 3rd class on completion of BMQ and will receive back pay for your previous BMQ time. You will receive promotion to CPL in a year, or on completion of QL3, which ever comes first.

Is this, which I have quoted still accurate today for a semi-skilled med tech applicant?

Rafterman1 said:
Is this, which I have quoted still accurate today for a semi-skilled med tech applicant?

You'd probably have to check at a recruiting centre as these things change constantly.  From what I understand, the Med Tech trade is closed right now.

It may still be accurate, however it is still debatable whether it is good for the CF and for the individual. If you are already qualified as a PCP in your province it would be wise to also consider a reservist position and "get your feet wet" with the CF. Being a Med.Tech is not emergent care, and those who have experience with that sort of job often find the pace and scope to be slow and limiting. The reserve route allows for familiarity and eventually the potential to deploy without interfering with your current employment and allowing you to stay current with your skills.

Could one work casual or on call shifts for EMS while employed as a Reg Force Med Tech?  Would this be frowned upon?

Rafterman1 said:
Could one work casual or on call shifts for EMS while employed as a Reg Force Med Tech?  Would this be frowned upon?

There are, for the record some bases that have MCSP (maintenance of clinical skills) programs set up with their local EMS providers to enable practicing medical technicians to stay current with their protocols.

It wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility to work as a casual EMS worker granted that the EMS service doesn't have any expectations of availability. You must remember that serving in the CF is the priority and realistically one should be prepared to deploy at any given time. It would also depend on wether your CO would allow and if the operational tempo of the unit that you are attached to could facilitate your desire to work a PT job.

From experience, it seems very difficult to work a PT job, however I can't say that it cant be done. It would just be alot simpler to do this the other way around. ie. EMS full-time + MedTech Pt.

Great White Hype said:
There are, for the record some bases that have MCSP (maintenance of clinical skills) programs set up with their local EMS providers to enable practicing medical technicians to stay current with their protocols.

Does the Reg Force member have to get registered under the Provincial body in that province where he is posted to be eligible for the MCSP?  I'm licensed under 2 Provinces; BC & AB.  With that being said, in regards to license maintenance for the 2 im registered in, how would this work so they do not expire while in the Reg Force?

Great White Hype said:
It wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility to work as a casual EMS worker granted that the EMS service doesn't have any expectations of availability.

<snip>

It would just be alot simpler to do this the other way around. ie. EMS full-time + MedTech Pt.

There is the question of Labour Mobility: "While most Canadians can now benefit from full labour mobility, there are a small number of professions for which additional requirements are needed when moving to another province and/or territory.":
http://news.gc.ca/web/article-eng.do?nid=511429

Assuming you are qualified to work in that province, does your local EMS hire part-timers? The city I worked for has never hired, or used, part-timers or casuals. Certainly not since 1933. Everyone is full-time permanent.

As far as working full-time EMS and the Reserves, because of the shift-work, you may not be available for a lot of evening parades and week-end excercises. Even if you are off, the department frequently calls for "voluntary" overtime. Especially on weekends. 

Great White Hype said:
Being a Med.Tech is not emergent care, and those who have experience with that sort of job often find the pace and scope to be slow and limiting.

Good point. 9-1-1 types may feel more at home working the street.
I had to look up the word "emergent". We just say "emergency" ( as in Emergency Medical Service ):
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/emergent.html

Rafterman1 said:
Does the Reg Force member have to get registered under the Provincial body in that province where he is posted to be eligible for the MCSP?  I'm licensed under 2 Provinces; BC & AB.  With that being said, in regards to license maintenance for the 2 im registered in, how would this work so they do not expire while in the Reg Force?

I saw this today. It seems to be recent.
There is mention of MCSP at the 03:55 mark:
http://www.forces.ca/en/job/medicaltechnician-70

This is from the Province of British Columbia. As you are certified in that province, you may find it of interest:
"Canadian Paramedic Regulators Working Group: Statement of Intent Regarding Labour Mobility for Paramedics":
http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/ema/intent.html

"Currently more than 20 regulatory designations for paramedics exist over the 10 jurisdictions, involving different regulatory approaches and entry-to-practice requirements."

"Regulators confirmed that they would continue to require recent, active practice as a condition of registration."

Rafterman1 said:

If posted to Ontario ( and if authorized by the CF ), "I am a qualified paramedic in another Province or Territory of Canada. What steps must I take before I can be employed as a paramedic in Ontario?":
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/program/ehs/edu/equiv_qa.html#3

A point to remember is that there is a lot of mandated overtime in EMS. That is, you never know for sure when you will be going off duty, because of last minute calls. They can ( and do ) routinely force end-of-shift overtime on Paramedics. You do not have the right to refuse. ( No problem, we knew that when we hired on. That situation has improved greatly in recent years. )
Under municipal law ( at least in Toronto ), Police, Fire and Paramedics are not considered to be civilians.
Which is one of the reasons they do not hire part-timers, as this could lead to a potential conflict if you have a commitment to another employer.

From what I understand, finding employment in Ontario is very difficult. Some find work with the private non-emergency transfer companies. Some look for work in remote areas up north, or other parts of Canada:
August 27, 2010
"Ont. paramedics recruited to N.L.":
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2010/08/27/nl-paramedic-hires-827.html?ref=rss

( Interesting comments. )

Toronto EMS ( from Wikipedia ):
"The 'Baby Boom' generation is aging. As it does so, all of those 'boomers' become net consumers of health care, driving up demand for services. Simultaneously, all of those 'boomers' employed by the service in the early 1970s are reaching the end of their careers and retiring. Since subsequent generations are typically much smaller, the service is experiencing difficulty in recruiting suitably trained replacement staff, just as demand for services is increasing."

Rafterman1 said:

I can't speak for other provinces, but in AB you are required to keep your registration up to date. In fact, in order to do on-car MCSP in AB, you have to be registered in AB. The CF puts a great deal of energy, time, and resources into ensuring that RegF MedTechs in AB have the best chance of success at the AB exams. In AB, you can count all of your "green" time towards your patient contact hours, so you'll have well over the requirement. You'll also have to do your the College of Paramedics CME modules, and keep any other qualifications up to date.

Thank you for the replies MM, Modlr and Mario.  My registration within BC and AB will knowingly expire due to myself attending BMQ in January.  I will have to re-apply and spend yet more money to get renewed if stationed in either Province.  :(  Or does the Forces cover the cost of PCP/EMT licensing for MCSP (if required to be licensed) in the Province which you are posted to?

Rafterman1 said:
Or does the Forces cover the cost of PCP/EMT licensing for MCSP (if required to be licensed) in the Province which you are posted to?

The last time I did it, yes. Things change however, and it's best to check when you arrive at your posting and have obtained your registration.

Rafterman1 said:
Thank you for the replies MM, Modlr and Mario.  My registration within BC and AB will knowingly expire due to myself attending BMQ in January.  I will have to re-apply and spend yet more money to get renewed if stationed in either Province.  :(  Or does the Forces cover the cost of PCP/EMT licensing for MCSP (if required to be licensed) in the Province which you are posted to?

Rafterman, you may find this of interest.

"Maintenance of Clinical Skills Program (MCSP)":
http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pub/pdf/mcsp-pmcc/man-eng.pdf
http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pub/mcsp-pmcc/AnnA-eng.asp
http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pub/mcsp-pmcc/AnnB-eng.asp

Back