• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy doing trials on new clothing???

The Librarian said:
That's explained by the fact that the grey items listed on Logistik are PT kit items (they should show on all enviornments -they do on my Army one) and are a one time initial issue.

The white t-shirts are a naval only item, not DEU, and Logistik is not the supplier.

Perhaps its time that white T shirts are added to the site, as well as green and for a cheap price and while we are at it get a new supplier. I find the quality of clothing available from clothing online to be of inferior quality.

Well, no use putting the clothing on the web-site then...it's Logistik's site not the DND/CFs.

That is, BTW, the first time I've heard that complaint regarding inferior quality clothing from Logistik. It does meet the Mil-specs.

The Librarian said:
Well, no use putting the clothing on the web-site then...it's Logistik's site not the DND/CFs.

That is, BTW, the first time I've heard that complaint regarding inferior quality clothing from Logistik. It does meet the Mil-specs.

Well thats only my opinion. I find the clothing doesn't last as long as what we had before. To tell you the truth I don't really like the web site either.

You're not alone. I'm quite sure we could all find something to complain about re the site.

Ex-Dragoon said:
No coveralls in the Navy's future at all, at least that what the FCPO told us awhile ago. The new NCDs we will eventually get will be the two piece similiar to the ones you are currently issued.

Use of coveralls on ships been bantered around for ever since I can remember. There are advantages of wearing coveralls and there have been plans over the last number of years to trial them. What I have seen there are some people in the chain of command that do not like coveralls and have blocked their adoption. I think they are a good idea.

Stoker said:
Use of coveralls on ships been bantered around for ever since I can remember. There are advantages of wearing coveralls and there have been plans over the last number of years to trial them. What I have seen there are some people in the chain of command that do not like coveralls and have blocked their adoption. I think they are a good idea.

We had an Aussie visitor this week at our office and he was showing us pictures from shipboard life in the RAN. they are all in coveralls and look very comfy and professional. I think this is something that has been blocked by those who don't like them....a select few in the upper echelon.

Concur, the Aussie/Kiwi's coveralls are a great idea, they are more comfortable....  Not to mention they have reflective stripes which would be handy in the event of a power failure/fire.

Some day those dinosaurs will be retired and the new ideas will be entertained..... Just like the CRTC!

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Concur, the Aussie/Kiwi's coveralls are a great idea, they are more comfortable....  Not to mention they have reflective stripes which would be handy in the event of a power failure/fire.

Some day those dinosaurs will be retired and the new ideas will be entertained..... Just like the CRTC!

I so hear you. I was having a conversation about this with a salty old Chief of my vintage today (30 years before the mast...arrrrrrr) and we were both bemoaning the 50's attitudes of some of our brain trust with respect to a lot of things including "buttons and bows."
The women are not as comfy with coveralls but having said that we had a woman RAN exchange officer when I sailed with Huron and she loved them...so go figure.

Coveralls are the way to go.  It will really have a positive impact on close up times as you won't be fighting with buttons and the like.  I did hear that it was the "Dress Committee" who put the brakes on the idea in the past.  Some of the Mahogony Admirals did not like the idea of zippers, they wanted to see shirts and buttons.  It would not come of a surprise if some of these people are charter members of the Flat Earth Society as well.

White is a stupid colour to have on a ship, especially on the Tankers.  Black or Navy Blue would be a better choice.  At the very least they would look cleaner longer than several hours.

Right now I am in KAF.  I am using the Army's two sock system daily.  It is great and very comfortable, I do hope they adopt this for us as well.

jollyjacktar said:
Coveralls are the way to go.  It will really have a positive impact on close up times as you won't be fighting with buttons and the like.  I did hear that it was the "Dress Committee" who put the brakes on the idea in the past.  Some of the Mahogony Admirals did not like the idea of zippers, they wanted to see shirts and buttons.  It would not come of a surprise if some of these people are charter members of the Flat Earth Society as well.

White is a stupid colour to have on a ship, especially on the Tankers.  Black or Navy Blue would be a better choice.  At the very least they would look cleaner longer than several hours.

Right now I am in KAF.  I am using the Army's two sock system daily.   It is great and very comfortable, I do hope they adopt this for us as well.

Yes I too used the two sock system when I was in Gagetown and the fleece is great too. I've seen some of the other Navies using fleece....I think when the Danes were here last year they had fleece. It was dark blue and you can put Velcro on it to attach name tags etc...very warm and comfy.
I'm not sure who is the culprit on dress committee but it seems like good practical ideas don't get very far sometimes.
When I joined officers had to wear shoes, DEU shirt and peaked caps on the bridge or when closed up for entering/leaving harbour. Because the old man didn't like me he assigned me as permanent Focsle officer (so he could keep an eye on me). I'll tell you it was a little chilly up there on the focsle even in Esquimalt! He would often order "negative weather jackets" because he didn't like the fact that there was no rank on the jackets (those were the old green ones not the current mustang type). I remember how grateful we were when they finally issued the "new" green sweater and let us wear sea boots....some folks haven't progressed much further than these old days when style outweighed practicality.
there are a lot of retirements coming in the next 5 years...let's cross our fingers that some of the dinosaurs swallow the anchor!!  ;D

My only concern with Fleece, t shirt and the Army two sock system would be if they are fire and heat retardent. In previous conversations in other forums it was mentioned that this was the one of the most important things in consideration of new clothing for the NAVY

CTD said:
My only concern with Fleece, t shirt and the Army two sock system would be if they are fire and heat retardent. In previous conversations in other forums it was mentioned that this was the one of the most important things in consideration of new clothing for the NAVY

I'm not sure if they are or not, but the Air Force is wearing the 2 sock system now and they are big on the same factors. Hmmm, I'll have to check the specs out when I get back to work on Wednesday.

I doubt the fleece would be for shipboard wear.  Our NCDs are fine.

Back to the coveralls, can someone tell me why the Firefighters and Hull techs are permitted to wear coveralls, while the rest of the crew gets NCD's.  Not that its important because I only have 1 more month in the Navy. 

Zippers in boots?  No I will take my laces please!!

Firefighters wear coveralls as part of their normal dress when employed in firehall/crash rescue duties.  HT's are cross trained in crash rescue and on 280's and CPF take up several positions as HT/FF in the hangar/flightdeck as part of the FF crew.  Therefore they are filling the position and dress accordingly.

I agree, but we are all trained to be Ship Firefighters. I know am grasping at straws here but most Army clerks wear Cadpat as their dress of the day but they have to wear NCD's while on ship, so why not get all sailors in coveralls!!

I am just a bitter sailor who likes coveralls! 

NCD's are ok, but I know that I can throw on coveralls and get zipped up twice as fast as I would in NCD's!  In my simple mind I think Maritime Command would attempt to make the jump to coveralls if the RN did it first! 

jollyjacktar said:
Firefighters wear coveralls as part of their normal dress when employed in firehall/crash rescue duties.  HT's are cross trained in crash rescue and on 280's and CPF take up several positions as HT/FF in the hangar/flightdeck as part of the FF crew.   Therefore they are filling the position and dress accordingly.

On ship I am rapid response and have to respond to any emergency. The wearing of coveralls will improve close up times and thus improve combat efficiency. I would say a pair of coveralls probally doesn't cost anymore than what we wear now. The problem is that some people at the top of the chain of command think coveralls are lazy because they are easy to get in or out of. So far they have been sucessful,but the time will come that these dinosaurs will be gone.

I was to understand that the Airforce issued the new blue T shirt that is 100% cotton to flight line personalle for the fact that is as flame retardent as you can get with out getting into Nomex.
The Rain jackets and IECS issued to them is all anti static and or static dissapaiting.
Hence the reason for not suppose to wear the fleece and or older wool shirts. They also issued the white 100% cotton long under wear and/or the unlabeled Helly Hanson flame retardent blue long under wear for the the flight line personalle.

IF they could issue a good decent winter glove and winter boot then all would be great for them on the flight line. The coices now are winter mitts, flight gloves, anti contact gloves, muklucks or your good old issued steel toed line boots/new style ones.

Which at -30 as good as the muklucks are, walking on the lex of a F18 is not in your best interest due to the clumseyness of the boots. Nor is wearing the work boots, due to the fact they do not insulate very well.

As for a good pair of gloves, that one is hard to deciede. The mittins are impossible to work in. The flight line gloves are good but provide no cold protection, Getting a screw or a bolt stuck to your finger sucks at that temperature.

The NAvy and the Airforce are in the same boat right now. What is the best over all clothing that we can provide that will suit the actual needs, but more so our image that we want to portray. And at the least costly figure.

Dolphin Hunter, yes we are all Shipboard FF trained I agree.  But the Helo/Crash Rescue is a different kettle of fish.  Related in that there is fire involved but completely diffferent ROE etc.  But again, the HT wearing the gear is because they are involved in that line of work.

I agree with you on the bitterness of not being able to wear coveralls, it is a sore point in many fronts.  As Stoker mentioned, he too is rapid response and this form of dress does indeed cut down the close up times greatly.  And yes, the cost of  these coveralls is similar or cheaper than the full NCD suite.  Some higher ups don't like the look of coveralls and feel that they are a sloppy form of dress.  Hopefully these old timers will at last retire and some more foreward thinking individuals come into the decision making process.

Back