• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NDP MP introduces bill to create "Defence of Canada Medal (1946-1989)"

GnyHwy said:
With the amount of money coupled with the amount of time to hand these suckers out, perhaps we could spread it out over the next 50 yrs.  We will have to get them to the old fellas first though, as they will not be around to see the last one issued.

Gee, thanks. I needed that.  :sarcasm:

LOL. Sorry, it has been awhile since I've attended a sensitivty seminar.

milnews.ca said:
This (via Hansard), from Carol Hughes (Algoma—Manitoulin—Kapuskasing, NDP), as she introduced Private Member's Bill C-354, An Act respecting the establishment and award of a Defence of Canada Medal (1946-1989) (summary of bill and where it's at in the process):Caveat:  most Private Member's Bills don't end up making it all the way through the legislative sausage machine to become law unless there's significant government support for the idea.
On a "glass 1/2 full" note - it is an NDP Bill "in support" of the CF.

Even if successful, the huge majority of the RCL will still not have any CF service ribbons.

GnyHwy said:
I can't even imagine the costs associated with this.  (# of medals) x (cost) + (# of parades) x (cost) + (# of dignitaries to issue) x (salary) + (sticky buns) x (a lot). 

I seriously doubt any realistic cost analysis has been done.  The word colossal is probably pretty accurate though.  I can't even begin to count the number of people that would qualify for this.  -1 for me though, I missed it by a couple years.

With the amount of money coupled with the amount of time to hand these suckers out, perhaps we could spread it out over the next 50 yrs.  We will have to get them to the old fellas first though, as they will not be around to see the last one issued.

My CD and SSM (NATO) showed up in my mailbox, from Ottawa. The cost was postage :nod:

GnyHwy said:
I can't even begin to count the number of people that would qualify for this.

Neither can I. To get an idea, I looked up "Categories qualifying for the Defence Medal 1939 - 1945":
http://www.arrse.co.uk/military-history-militaria/132336-ww2-medals-civilians.html#post3165148

I wonder when I get one for being in the Militia during the "Decade of Darkness", defending the JR's with militia rounds (BANG!  BANG!)... ;D

CDN Aviator said:
A working one ?

There is no sign saying that it doesn't work.  I suppose that there is really only one way to find out... >:D

SeaKingTacco said:
There is no sign saying that it doesn't work.  I suppose that there is really only one way to find out... >:D

...and I'm pretty sure nobody will notice a small nuclear detonation in the middle of Saskatchewan :nod:

medicineman said:
...and I'm pretty sure nobody will notice a small nuclear detonation in the middle of Saskatchewan :nod:

Might even make Debert liveable.  ;D

Pssst - think you meant Dumbdune Dundurn...Debert is in Nova Scotia  ;).  Mind you if the explosion were big enough...

MM

oops :-[  Hey basically they're the same places you don't want to be sent to.

medicineman said:
*pulls out lawn chair and opens a beer* And I thought Monday's were boring....

Danjanou said:
oops :-[  Hey basically they're the same places you don't want to be sent to.

Debert has a Tim hortons. Last time Iwas in Dundurn the didn't. I'll take coastal hills with a Tims over flat lands with out any day

Hi all. Was wondering if anyone heard of this "cold war medal". And if so ,,, where I can apply.
Thank's. Scoty B

Scotty: If you served in Europe you may be eligible for the Special Service Medal with the NATO bar.

That's the only one I know of that's currently official; I did hear years ago of a group trying to get a Cold War medal created; no idea where that effort stands today.

There 3 I know of, the US Military Medal issued to US Military Personnel and NATO personnel on exchange to the US Military during the Cold War, not authorized for wear in Canada by Canadian Military personnel in uniform.  The other 2 are issued by private companies in Canada and the UK and not authorized for wear as well.  I still think we should have one but issued by NATO.

While we're at it, lets strike a medal for those who had to listen to "when we were in Germany...." stories.....

Or the Alert crowd bragging about their SSM!  Heck, I did 90 days on Resolute Island on Op Sov Viking 82 and all I got was frostbite!

Back