• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Canadian Shipbuilding Strategy

Or pipe work, or anything else on the unsexy mechanical side.

We're playing catchup on 30 years of 'condition based' maintenance where we didnt want to poke at it too much for the conditioned based assessments, so now back to the old style 'refit' where we have to do a lot of just straight replacement.

The LOE is astounding though, and doesn't matter how much money you throw at it there is a limit of what work you can do at the same time, so that's why they are stretching out so long.

I can't help but wonder on the life cycle cost comparison if ships were built for a 15 year life expectancy rather than 30 to 40 years.

I can't help but wonder on the life cycle cost comparison if ships were built for a 15 year life expectancy rather than 30 to 40 years.
I keep saying that keeping a warship after 20-25 years is crazy. The maintenance bill will kill you.

year 0- commission

year 5- DWP

year 10- DWP plus combat systems upgrade

year 15- DWP

year 20- dispose or optional DWP/combat systems refresh to go to 25, if required by some national extingency.

Once you get into that cycle, everything falls into a routine. Budgeting becomes predictable.

I keep saying that keeping a warship after 20-25 years is crazy. The maintenance bill will kill you.

year 0- commission

year 5- DWP

year 15- DWP

year 20- dispose or optional DWP/combat systems refresh to go to 25, if required by some national extingency.

Once you get into that cycle, everything falls into a routine. Budgeting becomes predictable.
and you might find a market for your old hull outside of the breakers yard

Irving got a forgivable, interest free loan from the province, which pissed a lot of people off, but was technically in the rules, which was there was no federal funding for the upgrades.
Ah yes, the Bombardier method. Everyone rails against it when Quebec provides laundered federal funds to .BBD, but Irving is just getting internal provincial help?

Sure. 😂

year 0- commission

year 5- DWP

year 15- DWP

Been advocating that for 30 years. Nobody listens.

year 0- commission

year 5- DWP

year 15- DWP

That would work if we had a program to constantly produce.

Instead we use boom and bust and wonder why our boom sucks.

Ah yes, the Bombardier method. Everyone rails against it when Quebec provides laundered federal funds to .BBD, but Irving is just getting internal provincial help?

Sure. 😂

BBD after this current P8 little fit....you won't being hearing much from them. They are just a 5th of the size of few years ago.

Plus they only build the "rich kid" toys now. Plus just the super super rich...not even just regular rich stuff.

An interesting tell from them was you didn't even hear a pip out of them about new plane tax just added.

year 0- commission

year 5- DWP

year 15- DWP

Off to the farm with you!! You make too much sense!!

year 0- commission

year 5- DWP

year 15- DWP

So build in 5 ship flights on a commonish hull? Like the Perry's, the Burkes and the RN's Dukes?

That would work if we had a program to constantly produce.

Instead we use boom and bust and wonder why our boom sucks.
We've yet to see the full results but the cycle might be over for at least the next 20 years. It's going to take that long to recapitalize all the fleets, and by that time you'll need to do it all over again.

Now that the industries are porkbarrells we can almost be guaranteed that they are going to continue.

Been advocating that for 30 years. Nobody listens.

39087071-7743-4ffc-af7f-08f49da32cbf_text.gif

Challenge is getting them to do anything else during the summer season. We have very few dedicated Icebreakers, the rest are multipurpose ships that can do science work, buoy tending and SAR. What most of these ships lack is a good deep cargo hold. If you look at this picture you can see the open cargo hold and we could get about 6+ of those big buoys, plus chain, plus anchors and lot of other stuff down there. that's means your not going back to base to reload.
coastguard060.jpg

Back