• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Canadian Shipbuilding Strategy

• Thread starter Thread starter GAP
  • Start date Start date
Have a listen to what Emily has to say. The roots of the issues plaguing the warship design and production are very common.
I did, but I disagree.

The LCS were ships the USN never wanted - for a role they didn't want - it was a role foisted upon them from Congress. The USN has zero interest fighting in Littoral Areas - they want big ocean - and will ignore anything that isn't that. The USMC has also sorts of asks from the USN, and generally the USN has littler interest in supporting them, and foot drags and gnashes teeth when Congress forces them to be supporting of Littoral and Brown Water things - heck if the USN had its way the Amphibs would be toast too - as they view those sorts of things rob their budget and remove "Real" Surface Command positions.

Both LCS ship types, and the FREMM have issues, but I disagree on the causes -- the FREMM issues are because the USN wants it to be a Mini AB, the LCS because no one cared about them.

@NavyShooter I'd equate the Zumwalt to the Avro Arrow, the technology for a large part of the design just wasn't there.

The unfortunate aspect I see on the FREMM is the mandate that seems to exist from successive CNO's that every USN Surface Combatant be Aegis capable

I did, but I disagree.

The LCS were ships the USN never wanted - for a role they didn't want - it was a role foisted upon them from Congress. The USN has zero interest fighting in Littoral Areas - they want big ocean - and will ignore anything that isn't that. The USMC has also sorts of asks from the USN, and generally the USN has littler interest in supporting them, and foot drags and gnashes teeth when Congress forces them to be supporting of Littoral and Brown Water things - heck if the USN had its way the Amphibs would be toast too - as they view those sorts of things rob their budget and remove "Real" Surface Command positions.

Both LCS ship types, and the FREMM have issues, but I disagree on the causes -- the FREMM issues are because the USN wants it to be a Mini AB, the LCS because no one cared about them.

@NavyShooter I'd equate the Zumwalt to the Avro Arrow, the technology for a large part of the design just wasn't there.

The unfortunate aspect I see on the FREMM is the mandate that seems to exist from successive CNO's that every USN Surface Combatant be Aegis capable
The Zumwalts seemed to be sitting on the fence between being a pure R&D platform and an actual class.

Wasn't there a CNS who was rather keen on Littoral and the LCS?

Back