• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Non-Citizen Recruiting

Ex-SHAD

Inactive
Reaction score
Up until at least 2002, foreign nationals who held landed immigrant cards(permanent residents in the country) were allowed to join the Reserves, and in some cases if they held specialty skills, along with a waiver and a battery of other paperwork could potentially join the Reg Force.

Now I know that the Post 9/11 CF has done away with the program due to security concerns, though recently when I spoke with one of the e-recruiters(from the CF's recruiting website), he informed me that though the rule is fairly hard and fast, certain MOC's would allow for foreign nationals on the basis that they both did not require a security clearance and that they also could not be actively filled by Canadian Nationals. With that being said, my immediate assumption is that this would only apply to Reserve occupations and that they would be limited to things such as MSE OP, Cook etc.

Now I wholly may be well off base, or potentially the recruiter had no idea as to what he was talking about(I've met my share of those), however could someone clarify if this is even an active policy or was the recruiter referring to foreign nationals who have military experience, who can fill shortage MOC's etc.

If someone could direct me to the current policy or a CFAO or something that references this, it would be much appreciated.

Ex-SHAD said:
Now I wholly may be well off base, or potentially the recruiter had no idea as to what he was talking about(I've met my share of those), however could someone clarify if this is even an active policy or was the recruiter referring to foreign nationals who have military experience, who can fill shortage MOC's etc.

The link in the previous post pretty much covers the detail. I think more often than not it's like you say above, foreign nationals with previous mil experience. I enrolled as a Permanent Resident last year, so the policy was still being implemented up until fairly recently at least.

2 years ago, I (non-citizen) walked in to RC to join the forces. He told me I have to be a Canadian Citizen first and at least have 5 year experience residency in Canada.

CF will only grant an exception for non-citizens if they have previous military experience and must be signed/debated/agreed by the higher ranks of DND.

just my 2 cents in

The only non-citizens we currently hire are for trades that are indemand and typically have a large training delta.  (Pilot is the most common one), AND they already have military experience and training equivalent to our own, for the occupation they applied for. 

Back