• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Offer deferred 5 months due to unnecessary medical check

frankyboy1

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I don't really know the military system that well, but is there anything I can do here to start training in September? Details below..

After a 9 month wait, I got a pilot DEO offer to start BMOQ Sept 1, 2014. A few months back I saw a naturopathic doctor to improve my general wellbeing. She recommended a number of things: lowering trans fat, limiting gluten, taking fish oil, etc... Nothing bad happens if I don't do these things - it was merely preference to be a healthier person. After I got my offer, I asked my file manager about food options at basic and if it was possible to not eat gluten. This escalated to the point where someone on the medical side thought it was an intolerance and required medical checks to be done which would take 3-6 weeks, preventing me from starting BMOQ in September. The next BMOQ is end of January (a 5 month wait). I really can't wait until January and it is sad that me asking about food at BMOQ got blown completely out of proportion.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks guys.

Note: the medical person I dealt with at the Toronto recruiting centre is the most senior person in the medical section at the moment..

If not for intolerance (or Celiac disease), why go to a gluten-free diet at all?  This latest diet fad is right up there with eliminating carbs.

frankyboy1 said:
Hey guys,

I don't really know the military system that well, but is there anything I can do here to start training in September? Details below..

After a 9 month wait, I got a pilot DEO offer to start BMOQ Sept 1, 2014. A few months back I saw a naturopathic doctor to improve my general wellbeing. She recommended a number of things: lowering trans fat, limiting gluten, taking fish oil, etc... Nothing bad happens if I don't do these things - it was merely preference to be a healthier person. After I got my offer, I asked my file manager about food options at basic and if it was possible to not eat gluten. This escalated to the point where someone on the medical side thought it was an intolerance and required medical checks to be done which would take 3-6 weeks, preventing me from starting BMOQ in September. The next BMOQ is end of January (a 5 month wait). I really can't wait until January and it is sad that me asking about food at BMOQ got blown completely out of proportion.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks guys.

Probably not. Pilot applicants are scrutinized more closely than most others. If you left the impression that you were gluten intolerant then the CF has a duty to ensure it's not a problem. You might just have to wait.

As an aside, the Gluten Free Diet is only valuable to those folks who are truly gluten sensitive. The rest is just a fad. You don't want to hear my opinion on naturopathy.

ModlrMike said:
As an aside, the Gluten Free Diet is only valuable to those folks who are truly gluten sensitive. The rest is just a fad. You don't want to hear my opinion on naturopathy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdJFE1sp4Fw      :facepalm:

Back