• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officer Board

NSDreamer

Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
      Hi there,

I've been lurking the forums for a while getting ready for my BMQ and Rotp, but I haven't found much information on the officer selection board. I just got called up tomorrow, and they've set my board meeting to tomorrow night at 8pm. Which shocked me, because up till now a call from them meant months of waiting heh. That being said, I said yessir, cleared my work sched and have someone cover my shift and I'm ready to go, however I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I should do anything to prepare?
The gentleman on the phone didn't explain much about the board, he said it's basically an interview process, but I'm not sure what that entails. Either way though! Hurrah!

Thanks Sincerely,
                NSDreamer

P.S.- I'm an ROTP applicant for Logistics officer position with the 33rd service battalion if that matters for above information any!

You should go into there with a rather clear undertstanding of what a logistics officer does. At least what is on the recruiting website, you might want to read some of the sub-forums on here as well.

Ok, also, I'm confused. Isn't 33 Service Battalion under the Reserve Force? The Regular Officer Training Program is an entry program for people to get into the Regular Force. You'll be rather unlikely to get posted to 33 Service Battalion, and even if you do, I wouldn't count on staying there all that long.

Or are you attempting to join the reserves, and just confused about which entry plan you might be joining under?

Having been a member of a few officer selection boards, let me offer some advice:

a. first, it is like a job interview. The board probably has reviewed your file, or at least briefed on your background.

b. show up early, neatly dressed in clean, professional clothing. No jeans, t shirts, sandals or whatever.

c. answer the questions logically. Think before you speak, and if you have doubts, ask for a clarification.

d. tell the truth, warts and all. We all have a bit of baggage.

e. if the board asks you to join them for a drink, watch yourself. That is part of the selection process, and I have seen a board's opinion of a candidate change after seeing him in a social setting.

f. last, the board is looking for a reason to pass you. It is not designed to weed people out, that is the function of the training system.

gcclarke said:
You should go into there with a rather clear undertstanding of what a logistics officer does. At least what is on the recruiting website, you might want to read some of the sub-forums on here as well.

Ok, also, I'm confused. Isn't 33 Service Battalion under the Reserve Force? The Regular Officer Training Program is an entry program for people to get into the Regular Force. You'll be rather unlikely to get posted to 33 Service Battalion, and even if you do, I wouldn't count on staying there all that long.

Or are you attempting to join the reserves, and just confused about which entry plan you might be joining under?

Sorry I have my acronyms mixed up apparently, I was under the impression that ROTP stood for reserve officer entry plan, not regular officer entry plan. Yes I am joining the reserves until I finish my university degree, and then I am going to switch over to reg force.

To Old Sweat:

Thank you, I will do exactly that!

Thank you for being so helpful!
              E.S.- NSDreamer

just confused about which entry plan you might be joining under?

I don't think it is ROTP. As you said thats not a reserve entry plan, and being accepted into ROTP  I can say I had a 1 on 1 interview but never went in front of an Officer Board.

NSDreamer!! You get an in person board interview? You are very lucky! I am getting a telephone interview and tho a telephone interview has its perks (notes with me, able to make the the wtf face, etc) I would much rather they interviewed me in person but I cannot complain. The only board to interview me is in Ottawa and I am in a different province so it seems the most logical.

Haha, yes it is in person and shockingly soon! When they move, they move!

Just ironing my togs for it right now! Good luck with your phone interview!

Thanks NSDreamer! this time tomorrow morning I will be waiting for my phone to ring for my interview. I am going to be an ineffective employee today because I am focusing more on making sure I know my stuff for this interview because I know I am going to get asked some challenging questions. It always happens with social work interviews!

I hope yours went as well Gunnars, I passed! I'm finally getting sworn in on tuesday! I'm quite excited! I'm hoping to get into the june bmq, but it will probably not be till the july. In which case anyone looking for a pair of stanfest tickets in N.S.  :P

My interview went well, in my opinion, but it turns out competition is quite stiff and it is preferred that the applicant already have a master's degree but will be considered if they are accepted to a master's. I am very nervous. I have unconditional acceptance to the master's but what if I am still too wet behind the ears compared to the other applicants. I have a long wait ahead. My file isn't going to board till June 17. Might as well just forget about and enjoy the nice weather in the meantime. i might take you up on those tickets, might being the operative word. I am moving back to Halifax in July.

Mr. St-Cyr said:
What trade did you request that needs a masters?  Personnel selection officer?

Hi Mr. St-Cyr,

FYI... this is the trade gunnar applied for in the CF:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/94222.0.html

Alea

I am stunned at how tuned into the forums some people are! I found out a lot of information regarding my trade from my board interview and from an administrative point of view, I am going to have so much work to do to coordinate things if they pick me! but until then, I will simply wait, like a puppy at the pound waiting to be picked.

I have to say, the worst part about the wait is my family. Jumpins they won't stop asking me when I will find out. Right when I let it leave my mind, I get "So when will you know?". I told them to leave the pound puppy alone right now!

Back