• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ok, I have some questions. (Please dont just tell me to read the FAQ)

I.see.fish

Inactive
Reaction score
Allright, I read the FAQ and clicked on anything that might be of help but nothing is really answering my questions directly so I decided to ask them.
Allright, I still have a ways to go before I can join the Reserves but I am just curious as to how it would work. ( I am 14, I plan to put in my paperwork when I am 16 and have the recruiter slow it down till I complete grade 10 and have him/her evaulate it then, This was suggested to me on a forum on facebook by a soldier)
I have been thinking about joining the Army for along time but when I became a Cadet, I became almost certain that I wanted to join the Army. I want to be in the Reserves until i complete highschool at which point, I want to go into the Regular Force as an Armoured Soldier, so what Trades would be the best bets to do in the Reserves?
The ones I am thinking about are MES Op (Mobile Support Equipment Operator) and VEH Tech.

Also, I have seen alot of stories about the recruiting process taking forever and I dont want to be waiting for it to go through after highschool so if I joined the Reserves as soon as I completed grade 10 and then did all the training blah blah blah and did it for like a year or two and then switched to the Regular Force after Highschool, would it better to have to wait for it to go through in Grade 11?

Also, How long and when would the training be if I joined during Grade 11?

I know that it may seem annoying and stubborn that I am asking, But none of the forum topics in the FAQ helped.
Thanks.

If you want to go Armoured in the future, why not do it in the Reserves, if you have a unit near you, that way you might be able to get some courses written off when you do transfer over.

Armd Recce (P.RES) and Armd (Reg Force) are two very different beasts.

Rowshambow said:
If you want to go Armoured in the future, why not do it in the Reserves, if you have a unit near you, that way you might be able to get some courses written off when you do transfer over.
I guess but I was told that Armoured Reserve Unit dont actually use tanks etc. so I should just do another vehicular trade.

NFLD Sapper said:
Armd Recce (P.RES) and Armd (Reg Force) are two very different beasts.
Im not sure I follow...

Why don't you calm down, think about getting to grade 10 and finishing grade 10?

The P.RES units are Armd Recce, they do not have tanks or armoured vehicles even though some may still have Grizzley/Cougar qualifications. They go around in G-Wagons.

The Regular Units (LdSH, RCD, 12 RBC) have troops capable of using tanks and armoured vehicles.

See the difference now?

But that being said, it may be much easier if you later want to Reg Force Armd to first go Armd P.Res and then do a Component Transfer rather than a Component Transfer and Occupational Transfer (change trades).

My 2 cents worth, your mileage will vary.

NFLD Sapper said:
But that being said, it may be much easier if you later want to Reg Force Armd to first go Armd P.Res and then do a Component Transfer rather than a Component Transfer and Occupational Transfer (change trades).

My 2 cents worth, your mileage will vary.

Ok, thank you. But if i wanted to do get into the Reg Force as soon as I could when I turned 18 (after highschool etc.) and I had already been Recruited in the Reserves, would the paperwork for the Component transfer take less time than being recruited, theoretically?

I.see.fish said:
Ok, thank you. But if i wanted to do get into the Reg Force as soon as I could when I turned 18 (after highschool etc.) and I had already been Recruited in the Reserves, would the paperwork for the Component transfer take less time than being recruited, theoretically?

That would be one to ask the CFRC ......

I.see.fish said:
( I am 14, I plan to put in my paperwork when I am 16 and have the recruiter slow it down till I complete grade 10 and have him/her evaulate it then, This was suggested to me on a forum on facebook by a soldier)
First things first, you have at least two years to go, don't get all hyped up on it now, its great you are showing interest but focus on having a good time and doing well in school first.
I want to be in the Reserves until i complete highschool at which point, I want to go into the Regular Force as an Armoured Soldier, so what Trades would be the best bets to do in the Reserves?
The ones I am thinking about are MES Op (Mobile Support Equipment Operator) and VEH Tech.
Both are good trades and you will learn some valuable skill sets, my personal opinion is to join infantry, while you may not learn vehicle related stuff (there are driver wheel courses available for infantry) you are learning how to be on the pointy end.

Also, I have seen alot of stories about the recruiting process taking forever and I dont want to be waiting for it to go through after highschool so if I joined the Reserves as soon as I completed grade 10 and then did all the training blah blah blah and did it for like a year or two and then switched to the Regular Force after Highschool, would it better to have to wait for it to go through in Grade 11?
Whew, take a breath, the general gist of what you are saying is "which is faster: joining reg force in grade 11, or joining reserve force in grade 10 then transfering to Armoured after high school?", going on the assumption that that is what you meant, neither is faster, it all depends on you, if something slows down your recruiting process (medical issue or what have you) then it would be the same reg or reserve. Your safest bet is to go reserve in grade 10, see if you like it, graduate high school (*important*), decide on post secondary, decide on reg force.

Also, How long and when would the training be if I joined during Grade 11?
Training in the reserve world is some weekends, parading one night a week, and during the summer if you so choose. Reg force is year round.

Good luck, finish school first.
-J

Slack and Idle said:
First things first, you have at least two years to go, don't get all hyped up on it now, its great you are showing interest but focus on having a good time and doing well in school first.Both are good trades and you will learn some valuable skill sets, my personal opinion is to join infantry, while you may not learn vehicle related stuff (there are driver wheel courses available for infantry) you are learning how to be on the pointy end.
Whew, take a breath, the general gist of what you are saying is "which is faster: joining reg force in grade 11, or joining reserve force in grade 10 then transfering to Armoured after high school?", going on the assumption that that is what you meant, neither is faster, it all depends on you, if something slows down your recruiting process (medical issue or what have you) then it would be the same reg or reserve. Your safest bet is to go reserve in grade 10, see if you like it, graduate high school (*important*), decide on post secondary, decide on reg force.
Training in the reserve world is some weekends, parading one night a week, and during the summer if you so choose. Reg force is year round.

Good luck, finish school first.
-J

Yeah, I always planned to finish school but I want to join the Reserves in grade 11.

Enjoy being a teenager and chasing tail.  The Army isn't going anywhere....

I have been duped, my last 14 years in the Armoured Corps, I also I thought I was at the pointy end....along with my friends in the CER, and the other Combat Arms, and anyone attached to said units!

OK, I'll bite....
How have you been duped ???

Sapper, the reserves no longer use the Cougar/Grizzly.  As for having a G-wagon qualification, that is a wonderful thing when you join the regular forces as you are current on at least one vehicle and can even be put to use if you are in a waiting platoon. 

I personally recommend that you join the reserves as soon as you are old enough to get mommy to sign for you (as I did) and then finish high school and join once that is complete.  It will occupy your summers and you will learn lots from the experience.  Nothing guarantees what the reg force will or will not accept once you transfer over and no one here can confirm it either.

Good luck with your decisions, keep studying hard, no drugs, and keep the fark out of trouble!!

Armd Res and Reg may be different, but the experience you gain in the Res would help you in the Regs should you decide to cross over.  Many former reservists find their way into the Regs and the Armour School also has a list of Class B types as well (for you that means full time reservist).  There are lots of opportunities.  If you do join the reserves as Armd it would sure open doors.  If you plan on University there is also a plan that pays some of your tuition if you are Res. 

See if you have any Reservists or Former Reg For members in your CIC Cadre.  If they had time in, you may get some help from their experience.  Most Cadet Corps have a rep from a local unit that helps with their operations. 

Good luck.

If you fill out your profile, we might even be able to help you find such a unit.

Bzzliteyr said:
Sapper, the reserves no longer use the Cougar/Grizzly.  As for having a G-wagon qualification, that is a wonderful thing when you join the regular forces as you are current on at least one vehicle and can even be put to use if you are in a waiting platoon. 

Bzzliteyr I know that but I have come across people that still hold that qual. Just like I still hold the CUCV Crash AMB QUAL.

Back