• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

phase training and expectations

andrews13

Inactive
Reaction score
I am an Ocdt who just finished botp and a 7 week slt course meaning that next summer I will be off to Gagetown for CAP...Any advice on that course?
What comes next?
How many people will i have working under me as a new Lt?
When can I expect to be operationally deployed overseas?
Lots of questions I know but military bureaucracy  is too long and depressing to wait through for and answer.

Thanks in advance

andrews13,

I had the opportunity to instruct on the CAP.  The course is an introduction to army leadership in a field setting.  You will learn basic weapons handling, (very) basic tactics, battle procedure, (limited) physical education and or course leadership.

After CAP, you will need to complete the rest of your training (language and MOC).  This can take a year or two depending on when the courses are offered.  As a Lt, you will have 25-35 people working with (I hate the term "for you") you.  Don't worry, you will have a Platoon WO and Sgt(s) who will help you find your way and develop your leadership style.  Deployments overseas can happen soon after you arrive at an operational unit.

Cheers,
TFMO

As far as CAP goes:

1.  Get fit.  Extremely fit.  Spend all the time you can while you're waiting for the course increasing your strength and cardio.  Ruck a lot, and at a fast pace, I'd suggest trying to get your hands on GPS which will measure your pace, and then make sure you can do 6.5km/h with a ruck on for at least 8 kilometres.  Most of the ruck marches on CAP are no longer than that, except the Cowling Cup at the end, which is about 15, but you can do it at the BFT pace (5.33 km/h) easily in the alloted window of time.

2.  Try to get access to the CTP - study up on battle procedure, principles of war, offensive operations, and most importantly recce.  Navigation is critical to all parts of the course, too.

3.  Make sure you work as a team player, and don't try to be the boss when you're not - you will get hammered by the staff for that.  Set your means on receive unless you're in the breech, and check your attitude.  You cannot pass CAP as an individual, you must be an effective part of a team.

4.  Did I mention getting fit?

Back