• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Police Officers doing good things

I'm under explicit orders from a senior commissioned officer in my chain to "identify yourself as a member in any interaction with Police off duty"

I've never had to deal with this, but it sits uneasy with me. My plan, should the need arise, is to state "I am required by my line officer to inform you I am a member of the RCMP" and leave it there with no further explanation beyond specific questioning.

EDIT: this is not specifically me, I was given this direction in a group setting.

I'm under explicit orders from a senior commissioned officer in my chain to "identify yourself as a member in any interaction with Police off duty"

I've never had to deal with this, but it sits uneasy with me. My plan, should the need arise, is to state "I am required by my line officer to inform you I am a member of the RCMP" and leave it there with no further explanation beyond specific questioning.

EDIT: this is not specifically me, I was given this direction in a group setting.
That’s super weird Red. And a smart cop isn’t going to lower their guard when someone tells them they are a friendly.

Is this so it’s reported? Like what is the purpose of this?

Wow, there’s gotta be a story behind that?

Super common. Laterals. And more than a few who want anything other than policing almost immediately.

Do we still have the retirements board? They stopped for a while- but the reg numbers were very high

Edit- I just looked at it- they are only listing people that hit retirement service now instead of including resignations like they used to.

I have handled some very junior discharges lately. Often enough that it’s regular to me.

The general sentiment is it’s not what they thought it would be.
I just hired a 15 year Municipal Police Officer vet to work for me. Didn't talk much about why they left, simply mentioned that the job had taken a turn for the worse the past 5 years, there is no support from the CoC and the drug problem on the streets is impossible to manage any more.

For the 99.9% of off-duty LEOs that might get stopped for some reason and not immediately go into a patter to get leniency from the stop LEO, wouldn’t it be something the stopping LEO would get a sense of through the initial communication, and if there’s understanding/appreciation of the stoppee being a brother/sister and also not a dick dialing the ‘spare a bro’ pitch up to 11, that the stop might include some consideration? ie. Be quiet/low key and let the discussing unfold, not pitch/work the ‘acquittal angel’ right as the LEO approaches the drivers door.

For the 99.9% of off-duty LEOs that might get stopped for some reason and not immediately go into a patter to get leniency from the stop LEO, wouldn’t it be something the stopping LEO would get a sense of through the initial communication, and if there’s understanding/appreciation of the stoppee being a brother/sister and also not a dick dialing the ‘spare a bro’ pitch up to 11, that the stop might include some consideration? ie. Be quiet/low key and let the discussing unfold, not pitch/work the ‘acquittal angel’ right as the LEO approaches the drivers door.
I've gotten off with like 4 warnings in the past few years and never once got a ticket, just by not being an asshole to the Cop when they talk to me.

My most recent was a few months ago when I did a rolling "stop" at a stop sign in my work truck....whoops 😄

The young female police officer, who was quite cute 😉, approached my window and I apologized like a true gentleman and expressed my deepest regrets 😁

I am usually in a rush in my work truck because time is money and every minute counts so I zip around on the cusp of barely legal 😄

Does a police chain of command get pinged when one of their members gets queried/updated in CPIC?

There is a line between something passive, like a window sticker, licence plate frame or tossing your hat in the back window, and something active, like tinning, but it is very narrow and very grey.

Permanently identifying your car with emergency services stickers, window decals, and licence plates, and plate frames, can turn it, and you, into a public grief magnet.

Handle the situation wrong, or not at all, they can nail you with "Professional conduct outside of profession."

One reason I never wore my work clothes to / from work. Especially in the subway.

Does a police chain of command get pinged when one of their members gets queried/updated in CPIC?
No. You would be surprised at how simple and old CPIC is. It does what it’s supposed to but it very unimpressive when people see it
maybe. I get one or two traffic tickets a year- I drive ALOT. Generally speaking, most officers will start to pick it up off the plates or the licence or the checks that they are dealing with a cop. Some places they need a class four, after a few years they are probably scored as a victim on an assault PO etc

But it really doesn’t matter. City speed traps are set up for volume- the cops are punching people through, Mounties don’t particularly care (and they shouldn’t.)

Contrary to popular belief- cops houses and licences aren’t identified in databases where if they call 911 etc that they get better service or faster service or special service.

One place there was an exception where all the police houses were in their database.

I ve also been places where judges and other folks are scored in case they are targeted for their status. But very specific cases.

as is the usual- I ve found the USA a way different experience.

This works for everybody. I worked with a guy* a long time ago who played the 'dick card' with a Sheriff's Deputy just across the border and it went less than well for him.

*Edit to Clarify - He was a cop.

It said, "It is Courtesy, and does not exempt members from following Parking Rules."

Only authorized for use within City limits.

Leave on your dashboard, or in your locker.

You hand your parking placard in when you retire, and they stamp your wallet ID card "RETIRED".

So it was intended to be a courtesy from what, then? Of course it would be for use within the city - surrounding areas would have no clue (nor likely care) what it was.

Last edited:
So it was intended to be a courtesy from what, then?

My guess would be because sometimes, some stations, did not have enough parking for all members.

Especially at shift change.

And, taking involuntary and mandated End of Shift OT into consideration.

Sometimes, members had to park on the street. If they could find a parking spot.

Maybe move their car into a station parking spot, if and when, one became available. If they had time during the shift to do so.

One reason I often preferred public transit.

Of course it would be for use within the city - surrounding areas would have no clue (nor likely care) what it was.

Of course.

In surrounding areas, it would only identify the vehicle owner as a member of the emergency services.

I have a couple of service related window stickers, mainly so my vehicle can be identified when I'm parked at work. I generally don't drive in a way that I would get pulled over.

As a fire inspector I've dealt with two police officers, that I'm aware of. One was great and only gave me his business card after the inspection was over, it was the easiest way to get a hold of him. He never asked for any special treatment. The other one was very quick to pull out his retired police badge. That never changed how I conducted myself, in fact in my mind you should know better then to do some of what this guy was doing.

My guess would be because sometimes, some stations, did not have enough parking for all members.

Especially at shift change.

And, taking involuntary and mandated End of Shift OT into consideration.

Sometimes, members had to park on the street. If they could find a parking spot.

Maybe move their car into a station parking spot, if and when, one became available. If they had time during the shift to do so.

One reason I often preferred public transit.

Of course.

In surrounding areas, it would only identify the vehicle owner as a member of the emergency services.
Ya, that makes more sense. Some of the older downtown TPS divisions had pretty grim parking (even the 'new' 52 Division has them parking on the sidewalk because the parking garage has been under repairs for the past decade or something). Even the Old City Hall court was pretty brutal. I was a a detachment that had parking problems and it was just a given that the outgoing shift picked the incoming one up at home, but not a very viable solution in the city.

Wow, there’s gotta be a story behind that?
That’s super weird Red. And a smart cop isn’t going to lower their guard when someone tells them they are a friendly.

Is this so it’s reported? Like what is the purpose of this?

No specific reason I know of, probably the misinformed rumour I hear all the time that the RCMP Act requires it, or perhaps a personal taste thing for that officer.

Hasn't been an issue for me yet, and I plan to try and keep that record going.

Back