• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Posting Policy-Restricted (IR) & Prohibited moves [MERGED]

Can you do a non IRP move when you reach career status? I just got a prohibited posting to Kingston but I am at career status.

Am I still going to be entitled to IR and seperation allowance?

meni0n said:
Can you do a non IRP move when you reach career status? I just got a prohibited posting to Kingston but I am at career status.

Am I still going to be entitled to IR and seperation allowance?

No.  The biggest difference between IRP and non-IRP moves is who does the paperwork.  There are no significant differences in benefits and those differences that do exist are being identified and will likely be eliminated in the long run. 

The fact that your move is "prohibited" should not change whether you are on an IRP or non-IRP move.  All "prohibited" means is that the CF is not going to move your family at public expense.  They still have to move you though and IRP should be the ones doing that.  And yes, you should still get IR benefits (which includes Separation Expense)

Okay thanks that clears it up a bit although how is it determined when it's a prohibited or not posting. The first one I received was restricted then they cancelled that one and did a prohibited although I am at career status and it's not my first posting. Brookfield also told me to talk to the BOR since they won't have anything to do with the move.

I'm guessing that you are being posted for training.  If this is the case, whether the move is "prohibited" is up to the Training Authority and they usually do it because they intend to move you again relatively soon.  Brookfield probably doesn't want to talk to you because they are assuming you are like all the other trainees.  Talk to you IRP Coordinator (usually a senior NCO or warrant officer in the OR) to get it straightened out.  The IRP Coordinator should also raise this issue with DRBM and ask them to talk to Brookfield (again) to clarify the policy.

Thanks for the reply Pusser. I called the BOR but the problem is that I got attach posted back here on my COS date and

I was told not to do anything.

The BOR told me to come back and talk to them when the attach posting is finished because I wanted to know how will the

travel claim work as well as the IR application along with the allowances.

If I gather correctly, you are now attach posted to the location FROM which you are posted (i.e. you are physically now at the same location as your dependants, household goods and effects -DHG&E).  If that is the case, what the BOR is telling you makes sense - you cannot be on IR and drawing SE while residing in the same location as your DHG&E (posting/attach posting aside).

However, you should still be able to discuss this with the IRP Coord to answer your questions.  I always like to know things well in advance and save the last minute for real problems.

Oh yea I know I am not entitled to anything here. I am just trying to find out information on what will happen once the attach posting ceases and

I have to proceed to Kingston. I will need the claim, apply for IR and seperation allowance along with SCA I believe. I was trying to find out

how I would go about doing all of that and if even the BOR here would be taking care of that since my new unit is the one taking care of all of my

administration although I am not sure they know I exist since I haven`t cleared out of here and cleared in at the new unit. You can see

how it can be a little bit confusing as I haven`t technically arrived at my new unit on the COS date, I still have to do the initial move there.

Why do we do this to people?

Unfortunately, we can't fix this on an on-line forum.  You need to enlist your chain of command to get involved and sort this out.  Your concerns are legitimate and you deserve answers in a timely manner.  You should be applauded for trying to sort this our early so there are no last minute fires to put out.

as you have never cleared and you were att-post back then the OR you are at should still be doing your administration.

How long is the att-post?  If it is a year then they most likely won't discuss matters until you are in your last 6 months.  This helps cut down on the "he told me this and now you are telling me something different" rampages due to policy changes.

If it is a matter that you really need to talk to the coord then call and book an appointment.  If they will not book one then do take it through your chain.  No reason they can not take 5 minutes to calm your nerves and give you a brief outline of how things work there. Never worked anywhere that wouldn't do it.

My husband and I had the same problem.  CFHA said we only qualified for a 2 bedroom since we had no children.  Yet if you look at their rules we qualify for a 2-3 bedroom of course it is up to the Housing manager if you get a 3 bedroom.  The problem with Petawawa is that they have way TO MANY civilians living in PMQ`s there.  When we as posted CF members with a position number are suppose to be priority 1`s.  Worse case you could always contact CMP in Ottawa and complain.  Or even tell your CSM to tell your career manager if you cant get a 3 bedroom to cancell your posting to Pet.  Complain about quality of life.  (it works I know this since a good friend of mine did that and the very next day they were offered a 3 bedroom from CFHA)  Are you currently living in a 3 bedroom home

FastNFurious said:
Or even tell your CSM to tell your career manager if you cant get a 3 bedroom to cancell your posting to Pet. 

:rofl:

Pusser said:
No.  The biggest difference between IRP and non-IRP moves is who does the paperwork.  There are no significant differences in benefits and those differences that do exist are being identified and will likely be eliminated in the long run. 

I have found a lot of differences and it caused me to sell my place instead of keeping it because IRP has real estate incentive and non-IRP does not. No marketing incentive, no allowance for paying rent and mortgage at the same time.. etc etc. I wish they were the same benefits...

FastNFurious said:
My husband and I had the same problem.  CFHA said we only qualified for a 2 bedroom since we had no children.  Yet if you look at their rules we qualify for a 2-3 bedroom of course it is up to the Housing manager if you get a 3 bedroom.  The problem with Petawawa is that they have way TO MANY civilians living in PMQ`s there.  When we as posted CF members with a position number are suppose to be priority 1`s.  Worse case you could always contact CMP in Ottawa and complain.  Or even tell your CSM to tell your career manager if you cant get a 3 bedroom to cancell your posting to Pet.  Complain about quality of life.  (it works I know this since a good friend of mine did that and the very next day they were offered a 3 bedroom from CFHA)  Are you currently living in a 3 bedroom home

If you were to have children and then require a larger house, which is not avaiable because it is occupied by a civilian, then the civilian would be given 30 days notice to vacate and you would get your larger house.  The system reacts to needs, but only considers desires.  They will not uproot someone who has moved into a PMQ in accordance with established policy and who has done nothing wrong, just becasue you would like something better.  That's not how the priority system works.

FastNFurious said:
of course it is up to the Housing manager if you get a 3 bedroom.

Somehow, I would think that availability would have far more to do with it.  ::)

My husband and I (no children) got a three bedroom when he was posted back to Pet.  Of course, his posting was in January......  ;D

Be comforted by the fact that if you have a 2 bedroom PMQ and are now expecting your first child, housing in Pet would do its best to get you into a bigger Q, based upon availability of course.

I am currently in the process of applying for ROTP at RMC.  I've been to the CFRC twice already, and I'm scheduled to go back with transcripts as soon as they are made available to me for a preliminary shakedown.  I'm 28, my highschool marks were pretty good, but I was a fat, lazy git in my early-mid 20's and twice messed up university opportunities.  I've made huge strides in the past two years, dropped from 265lbs to 175lbs, got in wicked shape, got married, completed a post-grad one-year certificate at college (graduated with honours too!).  I know I've always had the ability to perform and perform well in the military, and now I've got the confidence, drive, and motivation (ten wasted years will do that to you!) to do what I wanted to do out of highschool and go to RMC.

Anyway, regardless of that, I had a question that the CFRC couldn't answer; Should I be accepted into RMC, where does my wife fit in?  Specifically, where does she live?  The answer I was provided was, "We're not sure what policy is", and subsequent calls to RMC have netted nothing but voicemails.  I've read online (yeah, how reliable!) everything from, "You can live off campus with your spouse", to "You live in barracks until Thanksgiving weekend, then you can live with your spouse, maybe on campus, maybe not", and so on and so forth.

While I'm waiting for the registrar to call back, does anyone have any insight?

Thanks!

Disregard...I wasn't using the right terms to search, and found a thread on the next page that was pretty recent and had the same, "Maybe this, maybe that" answers I've come to expect! :)  I'll just have to wait to talk to RMC, I guess!

Good luck to everyone applying...hope to see you there next September!

Hi,
I hope I will be able to shed a little light onto your situation.  As I am an RMC grad (as my screen name subtly suggests  ;D ), it is my experience that if you are married you both live off campus.  I had friends at RMC in this position and the only time they were expected to live in dorms was for the 'that-which-we-will-not-call-hazing' period of first year.  If my memory serves me, they still had to maintain a dorm room for inspection and other purposes, but i believe this is subsidized because it is considered a second dwelling.  I'm not a rude person, therefore, I never asked about money, so I cannot speak on the subject of how pay differs, but I imagine it does. Hope this was of some help!  And FYI, not all ring knockers are bad guys (or gals in my case)  :salute:
:yellow:

Hello,,,

Just to add to this and pose another question.

I decided to move and spouse to our final place of residence approx 1600km from my posting in Ottawa in 2009. In 2010 I got posted to the West coast and decided not to go on IR for several reasons. Anyway, has anyone heard of going on IR after the fact? It was not actually offered to me in the first place (not on posting message) so not officially declined. Just wondering if I can go on IR now or would I have to wait until the next posting?
Thanks

Back