• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruits these days

"A RMS Clerk in Cold Lake, does not require the upper body strength of a Sapper in Petawawa"

That same clerk in Afghanistan should have a high physical standard cuz what if the Al Queda grew a pair and decided to take on our base in Kabul or something, I'm sure he wouldn't remain behind his desk and continue typing, hell no, he'd grab a freakin' weapon, go out and suddenly he's a rifleman with needs for physical fitness.  PT is required by all in the CF, I admit some more than others but it should be over and above the average citizen.  The "YOUR ARE A RIFLEMAN FIRST" is really being driven into us on BMQ with good reason.

By the way, how badly does a recruit need to screw up to be kicked off?

marshmanguy said:
By the way, how badly does a recruit need to screw up to be kicked off?

One guy in my section got pissed off at an instructor one day and threw his bayonet shealth at him. LOL oh was he grilled.

But he's still on the course right now.

They don't try to fail you purposely. remember that.

Your probably one my course cuz there was a guy who did the same thing.  Did the same guy cause the entire platoon to be woken up cuz he thought he lost a mag then found it?

Marshmanguy

" The "YOUR ARE A RIFLEMAN FIRST" is really being driven into us on BMQ with good reason."

The context that you decribe is quite true and has been debated in other threads.   After BMQ,
members continue on with elemental trade training and career path.

I am not in complete disagreement with you, but you may need to get more experience in the
wider Forces before judging or generalizing other members, their capabilities, and the support
of elemental "pointy ends".

The army, air force, and navy tailor training in their own ways.   The air force and navy do not
provide an SQ and members of these elements do not get the same level of combat
readiness training, tactical instruction, or weapon(s) familiarity as army, and especially the combat
arms.   Day to day activities differ as well.  Pre-deployment and in-theatre training may
give air/navy personnel more land familiarization.

Equating the personal combat capabilities of an air RMS clerk, a navy NET and an infantry soldier
(premier rifleman) as examples is silly.   However, all members need and are at least provided with
the basic readiness skills and continuing training to defend their respective elemental locations.    

marshmanguy said:
Your probably one my course cuz there was a guy who did the same thing.   Did the same guy cause the entire platoon to be woken up cuz he thought he lost a mag then found it?

Yo lol yeah I think so. That guy was in my section.

I'm section 2, what section are you?

PM.

3 section. 

"I am not in complete disagreement with you, but you may need to get more experience in the
wider Forces before judging or generalizing other members, their capabilities, and the support
of elemental "pointy ends"."

I understand, I'm just trying to point out that military persons are held and should hold themselves to higher standards.  Being a clerk isn't really an excuse.  Also, my being a reservist, myself and other come into contact with the public more often than most and we must present ourselves well.  One way of presenting outselves well is with physical fitness, another is uniform, another is conduct, etc but PT is part of it.  Otherwise ya, there's really no need for a clerk to be in the same shape as a JTF assaulter, it's just not effiecient but they should not be out of shape either. 

The Afghanistan scenario I mentioned is really bizarre and probably wouldn't happen, just using it to enfore a point.

I understand.  Maybe the clarification should be made between physical fitness (PT) and
combat fitness (relative personal combat readiness and conditioning).  The air force is
ramping up PT with emphasis on what we call "land training" and collective unit training.
Its not bad, great for unit cohesion, but still nothing like combat arms perform.  Personally,
I'd love to go on an SQ.  Unfortunately, being air force, I'd never get to use most of
the knowledge in my regular day to day job.  Combat readiness as the combat arms perform
takes knowledge and the continual practice of that knowledge to perfect the skills.  Air force
and navy generally focus skills and training in other areas and wouldn't match the personal combat
readiness of the army.

Its not just them being out of shape, im a new recruit myself(half way done my BMQ)  doing my but when i'm working i work my @$$ off...however theres alot of recruits in my group that just dont give a $|-|1+. while im running my @$$ from my cot to the bathroom to clean it. the only time they care is when course senior responsibility is given to them. at A coy 1RNBR we were named the laziest class ever...and its a shame cuz of a few morons cant clean their rifle and stuff before going to bed or after breakfast

Wow that's tough.  It seems like it might be taking the fun out of for you.  I hope not because from what I have read here it should be a very hard but enjoyable time.  Hope things turn around for you :salute:

Back