• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

replacing kit...

Petra

Inactive
Reaction score
hey guys, I got a silly question....

I just got my kit a couple days ago, and I guess on the trip home, what used to be my round washing basin has now turned into this dented, egg-shaped aluminum bowl...I guess just because they are aluminum this happens very easily...but my concern is mainly this: I haven't done BMQ yet...I'm leaving for it in a few weeks. Will I get shit for the condition of the washing basin, or is it generally understood that stuff like this is bound to happen.

I haven't yet tried to see if the logistics guys that give out the kit will replace my washing basin, I'm going to find out mid-next week I guess when I go in to see if the rest of my kit is in.

Is it really a big deal?

Those wash basins are an aluminum-titanium blend and cost around $500 each.

What the hell were you doing to damage it?  Those things are meant to serve as supplementary body armour.

Petra said:

I just got my kit a couple days ago, and I guess on the trip home, what used to be my round washing basin has now turned into this dented, egg-shaped aluminum bowl

WTF did you do with it.....? Tie it to a rope and dragged it behind your car ?

Petra said:

I just got my kit a couple days ago, and I guess on the trip home, what used to be my round washing basin has now turned into this dented, egg-shaped aluminum bowl...I guess just because they are aluminum this happens very easily...but my concern is mainly this: I haven't done BMQ yet...I'm leaving for it in a few weeks. Will I get crap for the condition of the washing basin, or is it generally understood that stuff like this is bound to happen.

I haven't yet tried to see if the logistics guys that give out the kit will replace my washing basin, I'm going to find out mid-next week I guess when I go in to see if the rest of my kit is in.

Is it really a big deal?

- Will it still hold water when you shave?  No, it is not a big deal.  Many wash basins ago, my wash basin had several military parachute descents to it's credit.  It looked it.  But, it still held water, and I would just put it on the ground and bootfrack it until it looked like a washbasin again.  Dented, it just takes longer to clean.  I used SOS pads.

- What you SHOULD be doing is:
1. Trying on all of your kit, making sure it fits.
2. Checking all pockets/buttons/zippers/hoods, making sure they are all serviceable and complete.
3. If all is well, blot out the last three/name/initials of the last user and black felt pen in your own (but NOT on the outside of clothing or LBE) .
4. Make a list of the kit you were issued (use the terminology on the labels) and record the sizes.

CDN Aviator said:
WTF did you do with it.....? Tie it to a rope and dragged it behind your car ?

- He probably got issued one of my old ones.

;D

Petra said:

I just got my kit a couple days ago, and I guess on the trip home, what used to be my round washing basin has now turned into this dented, egg-shaped aluminum bowl...I guess just because they are aluminum this happens very easily...but my concern is mainly this: I haven't done BMQ yet...I'm leaving for it in a few weeks. Will I get shit for the condition of the washing basin, or is it generally understood that stuff like this is bound to happen.

Is it really a big deal?

WTF did you do with it??!!  ;D

Wash Basins are not accountable items, despite their costing 500 bucks each and being of aluminum/titanium blend.

Take it back into the QM and exchange it - it happens a lot.

*thinking of time we ran over one with truck ...  ;)

Vern, you're not saying that a supply tech would willing damage kit.  Then again, when I was young and stupid I dropped the ramp of my Queen Mary on one. :-[ Down side was, it was still in my Ruck.

LOL...good one Old and Tired.

If it still hold water take the dents out. Ball peen hammer and a block of wood works well and won't punch through if you take your time.

I've had mine for a while and have done this procedure repeatedly in the field and it's still serviceable.

Regards

Old and Tired said:
Vern, you're not saying that a supply tech would willing damage kit.  Then again, when I was young and stupid I dropped the ramp of my Queen Mary on one. :-[ Down side was, it was still in my Ruck.

Couldn't be any worse than the time forklift went over edge of ramp .. with someone still in it.  ;)

After mine got reduced to a frisbie, one of the uys turned it into a hood ornament on Snoopy.  I still use it, but I have to patch the hole about once every 6 months with a new layer of un tape.

Maybe we should start a separate thread on all the stupid thins we've done on the road to where we are today.

Old and Tired said:
Maybe we should start a separate thread on all the stupid thins we've done on the road to where we are today.

Uhhmmmm - VETO!!

"I strenuosly object."

;D

Alli was saying is that i had the same wash basin for 11 years.....it looked like RBD's but still.......

This guy just took it from the unit to his home and its destroyed ?

::)

Well,

I remember when I had to exchange my nice green plastic basin for that shiny metal one - talk about tactical.
I think I sneezed too close to it and it was obliterated.

CDN Aviator said:
Alli was saying is that i had the same wash basin for 11 years.....it looked like RBD's but still.......

This guy just took it from the unit to his home and its destroyed ?

::)

Perhaps he too ran over it with truck?? That's how mine managed to get ruined beyond repair.

Not on purpose of course.  :)

(I really am interested to hear WTF he did with it to ruin it already ... )

ArmyVern said:
Perhaps he too ran over it with truck?? That's how mine managed to get ruined beyond repair.

Not on purpose of course.  :)

(I really am interested to hear WTF he did with it to ruin it already ... )

From initial issue to destroyed in less than a trip home.....without having been on a single minute of training........destroyed. Must be some sort of record.

CDN Aviator said:
From initial issue to destroyed in less than a trip home.....without having been on a single minute of training........destroyed. Must be some sort of record.

I've seen some crushed by a pallet jack before they even made it onto the shelf to be issued out to  a troop to use for training.

He's probably pulling a very close second place though.

I had a pallet jack -- I'm wondering what his story is. He may be worthy yet. 8)

Gawd... I remember when we had to use the steel shell of our old GI style helmet for washbasins.....

Or was that the aluminium mess tins.... which would sweat lead.... which was another problem  :)

Well, after tracing what I was doing that day, I came to the conclusion that it had to have happened at one particular moment. After I received my kit, I went to the room where all the recruits were hanging out. One of our authorities came in and ordered us to sit down... I sat on one of the duffel bags that was issued to me...but some other guy sat on the bottom of my ruck, where the washing basin was. When I thought about it, the dents are consistent to someone sitting on it, cause there are two edges directly across from each other that are dented in.

I'll talk to my unit and see if its necessary for me to return it. I just got to make sure none of the dents are actually punctured through.

But seriously, $500? ouch

Ahhh the old washbasin... had one guy on a course with me use it to shave one morning, cleaned and dried it... and subsequently got his breakfast in it! The funny thing is he acused the cooks of shedding hair into the food....  :brickwall:

This was of course due to the fact that he sat on his webbing (old style), and turned his melmac into 2 seperate useless morcells. In my 12 years...I've had 3 washbasins, the most recent still holds water despite of the abuse, still use it now and then but bought one of those fabric collapsable bowls.

Back