• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Commissioning Procedures

ARMY_101

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Alright, I've searched the CFAO's and forums and I seriously can't find any policies on how reserve force NCM's commission. Everything I've found relates to Reg Force members.

Do reservists just submit a memo requesting they be considered for DEO, ROTP, SCP, etc?

It would depend on the rank of the NCM.  CFR is for Sgts and above (CFAO 49-10).  There isn't a difference between Reg F and PRes.  The Army Reserve Special Requirements Commissioning Plan (ARSRCP, LFCO 29-26) is only for CWOs and in rare instances MWOs.  Both of these are not applied for but nominated by the Chain of Command.  I have not dealt with an In-Service Commissioning which is for any NCM.

I can't speak for the Army, but in the Naval Reserve they announce the annual competition via NAVRESGEN. Perhaps there's a similar process for the Militia.

ARMY_101 said:
Alright, I've searched the CFAO's and forums and I seriously can't find any policies on how reserve force NCM's commission. Everything I've found relates to Reg Force members.

Do reservists just submit a memo requesting they be considered for DEO, ROTP, SCP, etc?
When you mention DEO or ROTP it makes me think you want to go from PRes to RegF.  If you're wanting to remain in the reserves then the first start is a memo through your chain of comd.  If you're wanting to go RegF then it's a component transfer with a request to go Officer.

Canadian.Trucker said:
When you mention DEO or ROTP it makes me think you want to go from PRes to RegF.  If you're wanting to remain in the reserves then the first start is a memo through your chain of comd.  If you're wanting to go RegF then it's a component transfer with a request to go Officer.

My request to CT is already in, however I figure it would be to my advantage if I were able to commission and complete BMOQ and the trades training before the CT (it would make me a skilled applicant rather than unskilled).

ARMY_101 said:
My request to CT is already in, however I figure it would be to my advantage if I were able to commission and complete BMOQ and the trades training before the CT (it would make me a skilled applicant rather than unskilled).
I'll go out on a limb and assume you're a Pte/Cpl.  That means you have BMOQ, BMOQ-Land and IODP 1.1 to complete.  Now I'm not up 100% on the durations of each course anymore, but when I did it both BMOQ-Land (CAP when I went through) and IODP 1.1 were each 11 weeks in length.  Even if magically all dates lined up and you were able to accomplish them within a 1 year period (highly unlikely), you still have the waiting game of your chain of comd and all associated other destinations your paperwork has to go.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just giving a heads up that becoming trades trained as an Officer is not a short road.

Canadian.Trucker said:
I'll go out on a limb and assume you're a Pte/Cpl.  That means you have BMOQ, BMOQ-Land and IODP 1.1 to complete.  Now I'm not up 100% on the durations of each course anymore, but when I did it both BMOQ-Land (CAP when I went through) and IODP 1.1 were each 11 weeks in length.  Even if magically all dates lined up and you were able to accomplish them within a 1 year period (highly unlikely), you still have the waiting game of your chain of comd and all associated other destinations your paperwork has to go.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just giving a heads up that becoming trades trained as an Officer is not a short road.

Understood. I've heard of CT's taking anywhere from one month to 5 years, so my reasoning was that I could at least be getting the qualifications out of the way, then when a CT did come through the previous courses would be PLAR'd and I'd be considered a skilled applicant.

Back