• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves and Co-op: Why?

forsyth

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking into joining the reserves as an Mechanical engineering officer while simultaneously commencing a MEng degree. I've taken an interest in the co-op programs for this degree carried out in the civilian workforce... But for people like me who would be in the reserve they'd just end up spending most of our summers in the military, with the best case scenario of doing co-op segments through the base.

I can understand doing co-op through the military if you're ALREADY in the degree and are stuck on your chosen path, but for those not yet enrolled in co-op... Why bother doing it at all if you're just going to end up working for them over the summer anyways?

Thus, I'm looking to ask persons who've actually done co-op/reserve (or anyone who knows someone) why they did it. Is there something to be gained that I'm missing? Or is it, as I assume, just extra paper work all around.

I'm not sure what your meaning by co-op for your degree if your joining the reserves. Reserves is on a part time basis. You would work 1 night a week and 1 weekend a month. Yes, majority of training happens in the summer but you do not have to work the whole summer. You must also consider if there are any trades close to you that have reserve units that have Mechanical engineering officers.

AFAIK there is no requirement for you to do a co-op while being in the reserves.

You're right Teager. For some strange reason I thought that the reserves were equivalent to the regular forces in this matter (i.e., expecting you to serve every summer when school's out). Now that I think about it though, after your training is complete then there's nothing saying you can't just serve the minimum over the summer months. Thanks for pointing that out!

forsyth said:
Hi, I'm looking into joining the reserves as an Mechanical engineering officer while simultaneously commencing a MEng degree. I've taken an interest in the co-op programs for this degree carried out in the civilian workforce... But for people like me who would be in the reserve they'd just end up spending most of our summers in the military, with the best case scenario of doing co-op segments through the base.

I can understand doing co-op through the military if you're ALREADY in the degree and are stuck on your chosen path, but for those not yet enrolled in co-op... Why bother doing it at all if you're just going to end up working for them over the summer anyways?

Thus, I'm looking to ask persons who've actually done co-op/reserve (or anyone who knows someone) why they did it. Is there something to be gained that I'm missing? Or is it, as I assume, just extra paper work all around.

The co op program is only available for high school students. It is a course that proves 2-4 credits depending on the unit. If you are not enrolled in a secondary school, you are disqualified from this program.

Back