• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP 2009 (Summer)

jmhfighterpilot

Inactive
Reaction score
I was just wondering about the schedule of events for ROTP applicants for the summer of 2009.
I have passed all my tests and  am just awaiting acceptance.  If I do get accepted to ROTP for a Civilian University I plan to Backpack around Europe throughout the summer.  I am just trying to find out when I need to be back in Canada.  Is it the first day of class or is there some sort of orientation to the military or swearing in ceremony in the middle of the summer that I need to be back for.

Thank you in advanced for any help.

Depending on whether or not you have basic training this summer, you may not have a summer to go back packing in Europe.

As for swearing in, it will most likely be in the spring (may or june) if you're doing basic training. If not, it could be anytime between your acceptance and your first day of class.

Cheers

jmhfighterpilot said:
I was just wondering about the schedule of events for ROTP applicants for the summer of 2009.
I have passed all my tests and  am just awaiting acceptance.  If I do get accepted to ROTP for a Civilian University I plan to Backpack around Europe throughout the summer.  I am just trying to find out when I need to be back in Canada.  Is it the first day of class or is there some sort of orientation to the military or swearing in ceremony in the middle of the summer that I need to be back for.

Thank you in advanced for any help.

Ask at the CFRC once you get accepted.

I know it's not a definitive answer, but...

In my case, (last summer) I had to report to my ULO in the last week of August, to do in-routine and other administration.  Incidentally, I also had my COS date pushed back to the end of August as well, leaving my summer free of (that) military commitment.

Your best approach, as Piper put it concisely:
Piper said:
Ask at the CFRC once you get accepted.

They're the ones who can best answer these questions.

Yeah I'm with you jmhfighterpilot; still waiting for a call from CFRC. Every time I call the officer in charge of my file I just keep getting the answering machine. =\ Does anyone know the general dates for the rounds of selection and when the last one is?

Barts said:
In my case, (last summer) I had to report to my ULO in the last week of August, to do in-routine and other administration.  Incidentally, I also had my COS date pushed back to the end of August as well, leaving my summer free of (that) military commitment.

It will be different this year for those headed to Civi U. Your CFRC will tell you when it knows.

So would this all be explained in the paper work I was told was on the way?

RMC_Cadet said:
It will be different this year for those headed to Civi U...

How so?  I'm curious.  Is there a plan to have an indoc course, like with RMC?  I can't see much else to be done with untrained OCdts other than put them on LWOP like was done last year.

CEEBEE501 said:
So would this all be explained in the paper work I was told was on the way?

It's a definite maybe.  It really depends on what they send you.  The most useful information I received (after finding out my enrolment date) was the ETP Instruction (posting message) I received the morning I was sworn in.  That was the first time I saw hard info on where/when/who.  Maybe someone has a better answer than that, all I can offer is my experience.  Nobody has completed this new first year ROTP process yet (or likely will before July.)

Lumber said:
Depending on whether or not you have basic training this summer, you may not have a summer to go back packing in Europe.

As for swearing in, it will most likely be in the spring (may or june) if you're doing basic training. If not, it could be anytime between your acceptance and your first day of class.

Cheers

They won't be getting on course this summer, I can damn near promise that. There's no IAP/BOTP anymore, you have to do the 15 weeks straight through, and those courses are beginning in May, and there's only 3 starting dates. Later on there's going to be some BOTPs but that's for people that did IAP, this will be the last year for that (until of course they change it again).

You can probably count on going backpacking this summer, however, I wouldn't if I were you. Money ain't as plentiful in ROTP as it seems, well, I guess if you're going to live at home it is. Is that the case?

According to RMCSJ website, there will be a 2 week indoc for ROTP Civi U people.
http://www.cmrsj-rmcsj.forces.gc.ca/deo-ocd/na-nc/na-nc-eng.asp

Barts said:
How so?  I'm curious.  Is there a plan to have an indoc course, like with RMC?  I can't see much else to be done with untrained OCdts other than put them on LWOP like was done last year.

As mentioned, all Civi U people will partake in the same indoctrination that the RMC Officer Cadets took last year. It looks like they will be split among RMC Kingston and RMC St Jean.

Seen.  I have to say that makes a lot of sense.  Thanks for the link.

Ah right forgot that. Either way, the date is there, Aug 9. You'll still have a s**tload of time this summer.

Thanks for the link and the info! Its nice to know, because I still have a chance at ROTP this year....Good luck to all!

Greg H

yoman said:
According to RMCSJ website, there will be a 2 week indoc for ROTP Civi U people.
http://www.cmrsj-rmcsj.forces.gc.ca/deo-ocd/na-nc/na-nc-eng.asp

Interesting. Not a bad idea, although I question the usefulness of a 2 week course. Hard for me to judge though, as I did IAP before my first year. Anyone who went to Civvy-U with no prior training care to comment on this? I'm curious as to what people think.

The information above regarding the 2 week indoctrination period is also the information I've received from CFRC Edmonton. I myself have completed IAP before and most of BOTP so I'm quite interested on what will be done for those two weeks because it is a VERY short amount of time...

Guessing it amounts to paperwork, a crash course on military procedures and way of life, PT and some limited kit issue?

I got accepted into ROTP around May of 2006 for civilian university.  I did not do IAP that summer, I got put on LWOP and then I just went to school in September.  I did not have a two-week indoc.

Sareon said:
I got accepted into ROTP around May of 2006 for civilian university.  I did not do IAP that summer, I got put on LWOP and then I just went to school in September.  I did not have a two-week indoc.
So what do you think? Would you rather have had the 2 week indoc?

Has anyone accepted for Civi U this year had the two week course confirmed either way? I have an offer, but I am still waiting on Civi U acceptances, so I have not heard any news other than enrollment on the 18th of July here.

On a side note, how is the CAM program treating you, benny88? I got my application in last Friday (there are reasons for the late app.) and the MOS people are being extremely helpful in pushing it through. I'll know either way by the end of the month.

benny88 said:
Interesting. Not a bad idea, although I question the usefulness of a 2 week course. Hard for me to judge though, as I did IAP before my first year. Anyone who went to Civvy-U with no prior training care to comment on this? I'm curious as to what people think.

I started ROTP this year, and I think this is a great idea.  I think the introduction to how the CF operates is extremely important for those who have no experience, especially the basics such as dealing with claims etc.  I have some experience and at times I found it difficult to adjust. I don't really know what is covered in two weeks, but some exposure to drill, PT etc. would probably be helpful to give people a taste of what the military is like before they have a year of subsidized education under their belt.

Back