• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP 2010-2011

Cerulean_Sky said:
I was accepted to ROTP 2010-2011, and I'm wondering what happens financially if you fail BMOQ? (either through voluntary release or because you're found to be unqualified)

Granted, from what I've read so far, it seems that as long as you prepare physically, do your best, and stick out the hard parts you have a decent shot at passing BMOQ. However, I like to be prepared for the future, and the reality of the situation is that the Forces are making a significant financial contribution before I'm found to be qualified (or not). I'm a university student living on my own money though, and if I'm asked to repay everything immediately, it would cause major difficulties. For this reason, I'd appreciate knowing what might happen in the unfortunate case that BMOQ (or any other tests / exams) eliminate me from contention to continue being in the Forces.

If you VR during your first year of subsidization/training there is no obligation to pay back your tuition or wage. The day you cross into the second year of subsidization you must pay back both wage and tuition funds you have received.
If you fail BMOQ you usually get a second (sometimes third) chance depending on the reason for the failure (ex. Missed classes due to illness or injury). Your staff will do their best to counsel you if you are still a suitable candidate because, as you mentioned, a significant amount of time and funding has gone into recruiting, educating and training each student. In prior years IAP (BMOQ used to be in 2 phases, IAP was phase 1, just in case you are not familiar with the term) was done before the first year of subsidized education, in part to avoid spending money on school for students that would not be able to successfully complete the military training requirements.
BMOQ is still done (usually) before the start of the second year of subsidization so, even if failure is for other reasons (unsuitable for military employment type reasons), repaying wage and tuition would not be required.
If you fail a class during your subsidization (at civi U) I believe you are given the option of redoing that class at your own cost as long as it doesn’t significantly extend your graduation date but I’m not 100% sure on that, once you are sworn in and posted your education manager/ULO will be able to answer all of these questions with the most current information.
Good Luck!

Thank you very much tristismilitis and Heff18, your information was extremely helpful.  :)

After extensive deliberation, I decided to accept what I can get in the Forces, and try for a transfer later on. Here's hoping it works out!

Has anyone received joining instructions yet, or know when we are supposed to get them?

Slam87 said:
Has anyone received joining instructions yet, or know when we are supposed to get them?

Nothing for me yet, but to give you an approximate date I was told I'd hear something by the end of April after the second selection board sits.

Slam87 said:

You will not get joining instructions until you are sworn in.  However I bet if ya search a bit you will find the old joining instructions for both RMC and CiviU (orientation camp) dudes hanging around on the web.

Slam87 said:

Not sure if these are the exact versions you'll get in the mail/email but, they might be worth a look for the 'heads up' value.

http://www.cmrsj-rmcsj.forces.gc.ca/deo-ocd/ir-ji/ir-ji-eng.asp   
http://www.cmrsj-rmcsj.forces.gc.ca/deo-ocd/ir-ji/irc-jic-eng.asp

...oh if only I'd bought google stock back when shares were under $100.00 ;)

This copy of the joining instructions are for those who go to RMC St-Jean not RMC Kingston
but still it gives you a good overall of how this is going to happen  :)

Special thanks to tristismilitis for the links

Well, I made my decision. I just want to be entering the Forces now at least, so my career choices got changed to Signals Officer and Air Combat Systems Officer, with no third choice as the remaining things seemed to be all engineering jobs, which I don't have the grades to qualify for. Here's hoping I get picked up for Signals or ACS, and can attempt to transfer to a Combat Arms trade at a later point in my career.

Cheers all, here's hoping I see you at RMC  :salute:

PrairieBoy said:
Well, I made my decision. I just want to be entering the Forces now at least, so my career choices got changed to Signals Officer and Air Combat Systems Officer

Good choice with ACSO  ;). Good luck too!

Has anyone heard anything back yet from the second round of selections? If it isn't this week, it should be soon. Cheers.

Hi All

The second selection board is set to meet April 23rd. We should all be hearing back the week after  or so. I have been merit listed as I missed the first round in March, and I'm really hoping for a positive response. I want to wish the best of luck to everyone who is still waiting with me!

I was wondering how easy is it to switch occupations after you have been accepted in the program? Also what is the procedure?  If any one has any insight please share! I just want to know in case I don't get my first choice, which I know is already full.

Cheers!

Well, it seems I won't be entering ROTP this year afterall. As it turns out, the degrees I want to take at RMC (History, English) are not appropriate for a Signals Officer or an Air Combat Systems Officer, and I don't have the grades to go after a Science or Engineering degree. So, unless something weird happens and it turns out I CAN be in a combat arms trade afterall, I think I'm boned. Oh well, good luck all  :salute:

Prairieboy -- Sorry to hear that, and I hope something works out for you... I'm sure a large number of people declined offers for combat arms trades, or will have declined by the time the second round sits.

I'm looking forward to May. Any news is good news for me at this point, I just want to know if I need to start planning for the rest of my degree without the subsidization. Good luck everyone, looking forward to the feedback everyone gets. Cheers.

nic.f said:
Hi All

The second selection board is set to meet April 23rd. We should all be hearing back the week after  or so. I have been merit listed as I missed the first round in March, and I'm really hoping for a positive response. I want to wish the best of luck to everyone who is still waiting with me!

I was wondering how easy is it to switch occupations after you have been accepted in the program? Also what is the procedure?  If any one has any insight please share! I just want to know in case I don't get my first choice, which I know is already full.

Cheers!

Hi Nic.f,

Good to see your interest in the CF, however i have some first hand advice for you. I am currently an ROTP student that is attempting to switch occupations. It is not an easy process by any means. First of all to switch occupations you must have completed BMOQ, what that means is that you can only switch in your second year of subsidization. The significance of that is you are locked into your contract and cannot leave ROTP regardless if you dislike your occupation (unless you pay back pretty much every dime they have given you, salary, tuition, etc etc), and there is no guarantee you will switch or will switch to your desired occupation.

How you transfer is responding to your ULO about  a message released in October/November. In this message is a list of occupations they are looking for transfers too, remember this message concerns all officers not purely OCdt's. If your desired occupation isn't on that list you are out of luck right there. Secondly if they want you in your job you stay. Thirdly if the even if they want you they fill the transfer spots on merit (competitively) so again no guarantee at that point. 

Here's the bottom line, if i were you joining an occupation i didn't really want, stay out. There is a significantly large chance you wont get the occupation your looking for especially since it is full now, and thats very unlikely to change between right now and this fall. I'm going to be going through this process next fall and am dreading it (uncertainty sucks) but am not turned off enough by my current occupation to drop out (I'm first year subsidization so no penalty), i just have a job i'd prefer more.

Maybe try for CEOTP especially if you already have some university under your belt.

Hope this helps

Hi all,

I am in China for the next little while and of course FB doesn't exist here, but when I get back to Canada I will definitely join the group. I was accepted for ROTP 2010 for and I accepted an offer at UOIT. Anyone else at UOIT?

Hey -- just got some pretty current info from a recruiter. Armoured Officer is full, but Infantry Officer has openings still. They could not tell me the number of offers left to give out for this trade since it changes so frequently, but this is good news for me. While my choices were Armoured, MPO, Inf in that order, I have no serious preference over any of them. While Armoured might be closed, the recruiter seemed to hint around that the prospects of getting selected for Inf were moderate at this time.

I think my speculations might have proved correct -- many people declined Inf offers to wait out for a trade they prefered more. I'm currently trying to get ahold of my file manager to see if I can express interest in a couple of other trades with a higher likelihood of selection or if it is too late to do that. Cheers everyone.

I would just like to point out that during my first go at ROTP I heavily was aimed at MPO. The recruiter said it was competitive but there shouldn't be concerns about entry options since he said I could do it through ROTP...the paper says otherwise though. The reason it only says direct entry "to my own logic and understanding" is likely because one of the courses is 20 weeks long. In ROTP you would be unable to do a 20week course through the summer. I don't want to discourage future people from selecting MPO but I avoided it my second time and got a timely acceptance to ROTP for Inf O. If someone is considering reapplying and still going for MPO I would strongly recommend finding out conclusively if it is a possible option through ROTP because I have a feeling that it is not and that you will be chasing a phantom job.

Just my thoughts. Good luck though to anyone who is going for it and I extremely hope that I am incorrect.

Rogo

The Naval Combat Systems Engineering Applications Course is approximately 8 months long. This does not preclude people becoming a CSE via the ROTP program. It simply means that you are very likely to be an Acting Subbie by the time you get to that course. There is absolutely no requirement that one be able to complete all of their training during the summer.

The recruiter told you that it was competitive because there were a limited number of spots available compared to those interested in the spots. But this does mean that there were spots available at the time. I can assure you that the recruiting centres have better things to do than waste your time and theirs by pretending that some trades are available via an entry plan when they are in fact not. And if there were 0 spots available for MPO via ROTP that year, they would have informed you of that.

The website is unfortunately not managed by the recruiting group. Oftentimes it is inaccurate. The MPO trade is not inherently ineligible to entry by ROTP, although in any particular year they may not be taking in any via ROTP because it is both a fairly popular choice that requires relatively few people, allowing us to fill it via the much more cost effective DEO method.

Back