• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP after High School Questions

lonlypeanut said:
I know you must get this a lot but I was wondering if you could tell me how good a chance I have for being accepted into RMC?

I am currently in grade eleven with a 89 average and am in french immersion so I am bilingual.
I am a captain on my schools Rugby and Football teams.
I also play varsity Rugby and snowboard.
I am currently a sergeant in cadets but expect to be promoted soon.
I have completed over 100 community service hours.
I am applying for mechanical engineering so I thought my certificate in welding from my local college might also be relevant.

Thanks

That sounds good. However, they also look at your interview and CFAT scores I believe as well. It also depends on what you applied for. For example, a Pilot candidate would have a lower chance of getting accepted than someone who applied to a career that is in demand. Because of the number of applicants. All in all, there is no definite way to say what your chances are. I have seen several VERY qualified people get turned down. On the other end of the spectrum I have seen people who just barely make the standard get in. Just have to wait for that phone call. Then you will have a greater idea of where you stand.

lonlypeanut said:
I am currently in grade eleven with a 89 average and am in french immersion so I am bilingual.

I'm not trying to be a troll but being in french immersion doesn't automatically make you bilingual. GRANT IT - if you've been in it long enough or you are exception, then it is entirely possible that you are bilingual. But a french immersion certificate won't get you out of FSL training (I checked). Typically they decide how french you are.

Best of luck though.

Sapper01 said:
I'm not trying to be a troll but being in french immersion doesn't automatically make you bilingual. GRANT IT - if you've been in it long enough or you are exception, then it is entirely possible that you are bilingual. But a french immersion certificate won't get you out of FSL training (I checked). Typically they decide how french you are.

Best of luck though.

Agreed. I know plenty of people who took French immersion who aren't even close to being bilingual. That being said, if you get accepted you will be tested in your second official language to see just how bilingual you are.

lonlypeanut said:
I know you must get this a lot but I was wondering if you could tell me how good a chance I have for being accepted into RMC? It doesn't matter how good you are- all that matters is how good you are compared to other applicants.  Unless we knew everything about every applicant, there is literally no way we could tell you anything about your chances, other then a rough guess at whether or not you're as competitive as the average joe.

I am currently in grade eleven with a 89 average and am in french immersion so I am bilingual. Certainly doesn't hurt you.
I am a captain on my school's Rugby and Football teams. Leadership and athletics don't hurt you either.
I also play varsity Rugby and snowboard.
I am currently a sergeant in cadets but expect to be promoted soon. More experience to draw from in your interview, bolster your application.
I have completed over 100 community service hours. Seems like a lot compared to your high school peers.  Not necessarily a lot compared to other applicants- impossible to say.  I literally have years of full-time volunteer experience- just one piece of the pie.
I am applying for mechanical engineering so I thought my certificate in welding from my local college might also be relevant. Again, more material for your interview.

Thanks

In summary, everything you've posted here looks pretty good and makes you look good.  What you've neglected is your CFAT- you either pass it and qualify or you don't.  If you pass it, you can move on.  If you don't, your file doesn't go anywhere until you DO pass it.  Nobody here knows if you interview well, if you're going to have studied up on your trades, if you'll be able to make a solid case for yourself as a future officer- a solid enough case to beat out the many other applicants for the spot you want.  Who knows, your medical might even bring to light some problems that you're not aware of. 

Stay positive, work hard, and edit/review your application 1000 times when you do fill it out, because their decision will be made solely on your application, your interview, and your test scores.  THAT is what will decide your chances of getting accepted.  Not how many great high school memories you have.

Good luck.

Sapper01 said:

Best of luck though.

However, if your mother tongue is french, you could put that as your primary language.  But be prepared to take your classes in that language.

Unless you were in a pure french school (immersion is not that) then I would avoid that route because it can bite you in the rear-end later on in life.

I am currently in grade 10 (second semester) and I have always wanted to be in the military but I never thought about officer until recently.  My grade 9 marks were disappointing with a 69 average both semesters (all academic classes)...Its not that I didn't understand the work it's just that since it was my first year of high school, I was more focused on not becoming a loner.  I improved in my first semester this year, actually scoring 100 % on my academic history exam and an 85 % (much to my surprise) on my academic English exam.  I did not get a very high average because I nearly failed my art class, which made my average a 79 %.  Art class was easy, it was just so boring to me (mandatory class) and I didn't want to be there so I didn't try. I love math and physics and I plan on taking aeronautical engineering if I am accepted,  I'm sitting at a 90 in math and expect to be in the 80's for science (but I'm striving for 90's.)  I am a Flight Corporal in Air Cadets and have been doing martial arts and boxing/wrestling for 2 years,  I plan on joining student council and also volunteering around my community and school when I am not working, I am also in excellent physical shape (if it matters.)  I plan on applying for ROTP as a junior the first week of my grade 12 year as I will still be 16 for a week.

My questions are, is it to late to get my marks up and be a strong/competitive applicant for RMC?  What could I do to improve my application? Should I apply as a junior or wait until I am finished University Physics, University Calculus and Advanced Functions etc to have a better application?

Thank you for your time and answers.

-Conlan

Knight13 said:
        My questions are, is it to late to get my marks up and be a strong/competitive applicant for RMC?  What could I do to improve my application? Should I apply as a junior or wait until I am finished University Physics, University Calculus and Advanced Functions etc to have a better application?

Your average is already good but keep working hard to improve it. This is obviously also important for other university's you apply for as well. In terms of improving your application, just keeping busy and involved is a good start. Having a job, volunteering and playing sports (preferably team sports) is a good start. It show's that you can manage the many different pressures and stresses that you will experience at RMC and as a member of the Canadian Forces. 

As for when you should apply, its still very early but generally you apply sometime during the first semester of grade 12. Do not apply as a junior simply because of the fact you haven't taken some courses yet. Most people applying for RMC will be in the same situation as you and won't have those courses completed (assuming its the grade 12 versions). Evaluate yourself when the time comes to apply and seek the advise from the recruiters.

Please remember that applying and getting accepted as a junior ROTP means that you be sent to RMC St-Jean for at least one year. The extra year is meant to improve your academic abilities so that your ready for the university level courses at RMC. Going this route also adds one year to your stay through the RMC system (5 years vs 4 going through normal route).

Back