• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

salute women who board a vessel?

• Thread starter Thread starter MC
  • Start date Start date
the americans salute everyybody coming onboard....

I think it is sharp to salute civ women coming onboard. It projects a good image and an element of tradition.

welll on the Ottowa it's the rule All women are saluted. ive seen a few Q.M's  brow watchkeeper get jacked for not doing it . well every ship is diffrnt though

Ottowa.....HMCS Ottawa...could not help it, as I am home doing PDR's.

Saluting of ladies was/is not restricted to the Navy.
As was pointed out - it's like the tipping of hat to a lady (ever tried to tip a beret?)

HFXCrow said:
Ottowa.....HMCS Ottawa...could not help it, as I am home doing PDR's.
potatoes potaytoes" the" vs" hmcs " there is only one Ottawa in the naval service unless you mean in Ottawa. you dont serve on the Ottawa you serve on Ottawa .  isnt that the way it is . sorry for the typos as i need to order a special tyoeing wand as my fingers are so fat

If we want to go all purist about it, you serve in a ship, not on one (just as you live in a house, not on one...).  So one might serve in HMCS Ottawa.  "On the Ottawa" sounds a bit American.

(By the way, if MS Bagley [BOSN] is still in that ship, please tell him I said hi.)

just have a little bit of respect for the ship and at least spell it right.

the Spell check (Stbd aft) works excellent

My husband is on HMCS Iroquois. I usually only go on ship when he's duty and on the brow. When I come on board he always salutes myself. I was kind of shocked the first time this took place, however, now I am more accustomed to it. From what I can remember though, he is the only one who salutes me when I come on board, even if there is another male on the brow with him. I have come aboard ship when theres a female on brow with him and once again, nothing from her. So .... I don't know    ::)

S.Bradbury

The Senior person salutes.  If they were his subordinants, only he would salute.  If they were all of the same rank, the person to first 'notice' you would salute, the remainder should come to Attention.

kj_gully said:
Let's see, thinking back to my saluting test in cornwallis, I believe the order is written that CF personell may salute a lady that he is familiar with. I can't believe I am involving myself in this.... by extension, if you don't know her you are not to salute her, so all problems solved.

the exact wording used to be "female acquaintances'.

I don't know if the tradition continues...I assume it still would.

Back in my Halifax days, prior to heading out Pub Crawling etc we would always visit one of the ships first. Even though most of the Ship's Companies were familiar with our friendly faces and knew we were in the Military, if I was in civies, I was always saluted...made me mad as heck but hey, that's their tradition and their turf.

if I was in civies, I was always saluted...made me mad as heck but hey, that's their tradition and their turf.

Why?  Didn't you want to be thought of as a lady?  ;)

Gunner said:
Why?   Didn't you want to be thought of as a lady?    ;)

I don't know many troops out there who like being called Sir when they're not.
Or, in my case, (I was only a Pte) being saluted is like being called a ma'am when you're not.
"Ladies" can be of any rank. I didn't complain though, once they did it the first time and I said Geez what are you doing, and it was explained that it was naval tradition, I asked for them not to salute me when I came aboard because they knew who I was (and rank) but then they explained that it would cost them dearly not to do it. So I kept hushed, let them carry on with their traditions. When in Rome....

armyvern, note the winky eye. It was said with tongue firmly planted in cheek!

Over all, I think FSTO has it best. Salute civvie females and all officers. I never knew a female who did not rate a salute get upset because you saluted her. Most are flattered. Mind you, in my Navy days I don't recall any female Jr. ranks even visiting ships so pretty well any female who crossed the brow did in fact rate a salute. Let's stick to the old traditions. It's what makes the RCN the RCN. :salute: :cdn:

Well if the RCN was still in existence we probably would have a lot more od the old traditions in effect, while some QMs still salute females, I have yet to see a female QM salute a female other then an officer coming onboard. Some traditions are not practical to keep.

Anything wrong with still referring to it as the RCN. It's where I did my time. :cdn:

Nothing wrong with calling what it used to be known as, just as long as you realize and make sure people don't mistake your post for meaning the RCN is still in existence.

Back