• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

salute women who board a vessel?

• Thread starter Thread starter MC
  • Start date Start date
You just reminded me of when I was 12-13 yrs old and we would go to get my Dad from the ships in Halifax and once in a while we would be allowed on - and they would solute my sister and I as we crossed.... I used to love that. I think it is a nice jesture - though I do agree a tad impratical in todays "PC" world.

Maggie

geo said:
Saluting of ladies was/is not restricted to the Navy.

I was going through our Unit Standing Orders (mo-litia infantry) the other day, and the custom of saluting women is still in there - - it's not just a Navy thing, nor has it been stricken from the books.

a question of good manners.

You also salute a hearse when it's part of a funeral cortege.
but you don't salute the marriage cortege.... he's a gonner - just ain't done yet ;)

armyvern said:
I don't know if the tradition continues...I assume it still would.

Back in my Halifax days, prior to heading out Pub Crawling etc we would always visit one of the ships first. Even though most of the Ship's Companies were familiar with our friendly faces and knew we were in the Military, if I was in civies, I was always saluted...made me mad as heck but hey, that's their tradition and their turf.

oh come on, I'm sure such considerations wouldn't stop you if it was navy tradition to make obscene gestures at women coming onboard. Admit it! you love being saluted  :)

Sepulchrave said:
Admit it! you love being saluted  :)

Oh come on...apparently you don't know me very well!! I cringe when polite children call me ma'am for crying out loud.  ;D

Back