• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Second Language Training, what to expect?

Radcliffe

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi I've just gotten word that I'm off to St. Jean sur Richeleu for the summer to do Second Language Training.

I did CAP last summer so I have absolutely no idea what to expect from this course, is it more of a gentleman's course? How much french do you actually learn?

If anyone who's done it or knows what it is could share their experience it would be great, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wondering.

tuyop said:
Hi I've just gotten word that I'm off to St. Jean sur Richeleu for the summer to do Second Language Training.

I did CAP last summer so I have absolutely no idea what to expect from this course, is it more of a gentleman's course? How much french do you actually learn?

If anyone who's done it or knows what it is could share their experience it would be great, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wondering.

I would say, expect French...lots of it.  :P Sorry couldn't resist...

What's a "gentleman's course"??

If it's a 10-week block course (and I suspect it is), then expect to advance whatever profile you have by one level.  If you have an AAA profile, you should expect to be able to pass at a BBB level upon completion of the course.  If you have no ability now, you'll expect to finish with AAA.  (This doesn't apply at the higher levels, which usually take more time than 10 weeks to advance a level)

See http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/sas-sde/ol-lo/faq-eng.htm for more info on what skills you should have at each level.

Its been a few years since I was at the Language School, but I will try to give some insights. I am not sure what program you are on. I did 10 weeks of a 33 week block sylabus - I had prior French and was a Capt at the time. The 2Lts did not suffer anything like a CAP course. They had the odd room walkthrough and they had to keep their uniforms in order but there was not very much additional rooster. This group had PT three times a week in the afternoon to keep them ready for Phase Training (sequence was different back then), and PT is one of the best ways to stay sane at the Mega anyway. I would get up at 0530 to do PT in the gym to beat the crowds and class seemed to start sometime around 0800. There were lots of breaks during the day. I seem to recall that Thursday nights at the mess were fun and Friday mornings were a bit foggy.

The Language School will assess your ability and potential and place you in groups accordingly. If you actually try in class, have a positive attitude towards the experience and do your homework you can do well enough. Don't expect miracles, but you should rise at least one level across the board. 

i did the 10 week many moons ago..there was about 10 of us in our class. The professor was a civilian. We ran from 8-4 with scheduled coffee breaks and lunch.

fridays was civvy day, we took turns being course senior and dealing with attendance and admin.

Fridays were foggy as there was bar in town that would let you drink all you could from 8 - 10 for 20 bucks...oh..and another one that let you dance on the tables and the bar...

the best part of the whole course was karaoke night.

I hope you like napping....and drinking (alot). That about summed it up for my course, I kept sane by going down to Toronto almost every weekend.

Back