• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

T-Flash or Arty Sim...

chrisf

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Might sound like an odd question, but does anyone have a picture of a T-Flash or an Arty Sim, prior to firing, that they could post?

this is the best i can do

http://www.army.dnd.ca/Essex_Kent_Scottish_Regt/EKScots/scrapbook/images/QL2_tflash.jpg

they‘re jsut like firecrackers that can be thrown,I don‘t have a picture but they‘re not big. but try not to get in the way of them. on Basic our Captain threw them into our bivuoac at around 3 am and it landed at teh door of the biggest guy of our platoon and it threw him a few feet.

I‘m just curious, as to this point in my career, I‘ve managed to avoid having any thrown at or near me.

Are they like a steel tube with a plastic cap on one end?

nah it‘s made of cardboard type material, with a match stick type mechanism to set it off

I also missed out on the magicalness of T-flashes because of the fire index during the summer :(

However, since I‘ve thrown a few hand grenades, its gotta be easier :)

Is the fuze the same as a grenade, or is it longer?

Ok, then any idea what these are?

http://army.ca/cgi-bin/album.pl?photo=Weapons/Unknown_01.jpg

Definitely not the salvage from thunderflashes (which are cardboard tubes) or Arty Simulators (body is also a cardboard tube). The ‘old‘ paraflares had an aluminum body with threaded ends and shallow plastic caps (they wouldn‘t rust like that) and the newer paraflares have plastic bodies.

Can you give us an approximate size, and the location, it may help someone determine what they might be.

Those in that picture I don‘t think are Canadian, at the infantry school, we use every bit of pyro you can think of, and I have never seen those before, I think they are American actually. T-flashes are cardboard tubes with a bit of a firecracker on them, the fuze is basically the same as a hand grenade, hence the reason they are called training grenades. Arty Sims are steel cans with a plastic cap on the top and something that looks like a handle on the side, which is actually the fuze that you pull to ignite the charge. The delay on those is about 12 seconds or so.

As for the comment about having the "biggest guy in our platoon thrown a couple of feet" I doubt that, I have had t-flashes land beside me, obviously I have rolled over to get away, but have never been thrown a few feet. And if it was an arty sim, I doubt he walked away, and of course it would have been a training accident and what not. Have you ever seen the pyro demo where they set a helmet on top of an arty sim?

They were found at an abandoned Pine Tree site in in Newfoundland. While the site was abandoned in the 60s, I know one or two of the local militia units have used the site for training since.

In one room, they were all over the floor http://army.ca/cgi-bin/album.pl?photo=Weapons/Unknown_02.jpg and they were also scattered occasionally throughout the building.

The items in question are about a foot long, the tubes are steel, the red/black parts are a cone shaped plastic cap. I don‘t recall any threads on the tubes.

There was also a second variety of whatever they are found on site, the tub is the same size, but instead of the 2 inch long red or black plastic cap, they have 6 inch long white handle sort of thing... http://army.ca/cgi-bin/album.pl?photo=Weapons/Unknown_03.jpg

There were also a number of caps that looked like they may have snapped in or screwed into the plastic caps on the metal tubes, as well as a number of small wire loops with a red bead attached which looked like they may have been some sort of pull for an ignitor.

There were also a number of much larger red plastic circles, maybe 3 inches across, and maybe 1/8th of an inch thick, looked like they may have been covering for a packing tube of some sort?

they look like the reminents of the flares... The length is right accept the newer para flares dont have as much of a plastic tip at the base.

That would be my best guess

After looking more closely at the pictures, I noticed somthing I hadn‘t noticed on site (Must work on my powers of observation, though I‘m usually pretty good).

There‘s minor melting to some of the plastic pieces, so very likely a flare or illumination of some type.

There‘s also at least one other varient, very similar to the red and black ones, only with a slightly different cap, that looks a lot like some civilian flares I‘ve seen, but I‘ve never actually handled them, so I don‘t know if the body would be steel or card-board.

Might have all been civilian flares, but there‘s so many of them on site, and I know the military has used the site for training... on the other hand, we [military] generally clean up our trash.

Originally posted by 1rnbrcpl:
[qb]

As for the comment about having the "biggest guy in our platoon thrown a couple of feet" I doubt that, I have had t-flashes land beside me, obviously I have rolled over to get away, but have never been thrown a few feet. [/qb]
Is a flash bang the same as a thunder flash? If it is I have seen a man tossed by a flash bang. Rolled right under his legs on a "breach and clear" exercise and almost tossed him off a balcony.

Originally posted by The WetGrunt:
[qb] Is a flash bang the same as a thunder flash? [/qb]
They are not the same. Flash bangs are used to clear rooms by disorienting the occupants with a flash, bang, and concussion. Thunder flashes are used for training only, taking the role of grenades. They do not have a visible flash like flash bangs do, and the concussion is considerably less.

they appear to be road flares or hand flares for boaters. perhaps someone was disposing of old flares and wanted to play. Marine distress flares have a shelf life of 4 years.

I havent seen a helmet get blown up by an arty sim, but I‘ve seen an ammo box get tossed by one. Thing was warped into a perfect half circle, and flew at least 60 ft into the air

I sure remember both the T-flash and the arty sim. Here in Australa, they have pyro too, but its pathetic compaired to the ole arty sim.

Here a t flash is called a wizz bag, and its about 1/10th of a t flash. As for arty sims, they just whistle here, and thats all. No flash and bang.

However they do have a good variety of simulators on the BESS (Battlefield Effects Simulation System) a purpose built electrically fired multi function system.

We have have a thing which is called a SPAL, like a mini-mortar electrically fired, and disposable. Out comes a platic bomb filled with MOGAS, and about 10 metres in the air it explodes. Nice and wet. One can hook mup a host of sims such as mortar, arty, small arms fire burst, and single shot, etc.

Last Sep/Oct I went on a DMEO/BES/BESS course at the old School of Military Engineering, Steel Barracks, Assault Pioneer Section, which strangly falls under the School of Infantry now. It was a **** good course, as the last time I had done a similar course was back in 1991.

Also Detcord, CE primers and 600g slabs of TNT are also used in BES (Battlefield Effects Simulation) which is different from BESS. BES is very effective, and realistic.

The CF have used similar if I remember right. All BES is never electrically fired, but the use of M700, detcord and generic non-electric blasting caps are used.

Cheers,

Wes

Back