• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tan berets and other CANSOFCOM, JTF, and CSOR fashions [1st split: CSOR]

Hatchet Man said:
I am light, I wasn't specifically going after trakalo (I could've but I didn't), I was stating in the broad sense, if you're (everyone not in CSOR, and I just noticed my earlier grammatical error) not in CSOR what does it matter if they have a cap badge yet, the tan beret is enough to id them.

Yet it is not, alone, a reliable indicator of one's status as a "operator" in the Canadian SOF community.  (Particularly for some of the "larger" tan beret wearing members in the NCR who cannot see their feet.)

A cap badge, however, would seal the deal.

Haggis said:
Yet it is not, alone, a reliable indicator of one's status as a "operator" in the Canadian SOF community.  ...

A cap badge, however, would seal the deal.
Would it?  Would JTF 2 & CSOR have a common cap badge so that the rest of us could identify the operators?

This seems counter to the secrecy measures of a command which has directed all of its pers to stop wearing name tags.

MCG said:
Would it?  Would JTF 2 & CSOR have a common cap badge so that the rest of us could identify the operators?

This seems counter to the secrecy measures of a command which has directed all of its pers to stop wearing name tags.

JTF2 already wear the SOA badge on their DEU (and it's a fair sized badge).  With that in mind, what OPSEC would a CSOR cap badge violate?

Not everyone in CANSOFCOM has come into posession of a tan beret through blood, sweat and tears.  There should be a distinction.

Now, who wants to talk regimental lineage???

Haggis said:
JTF2 already wear the SOA badge on their DEU (and it's a fair sized badge). 
It is a skill hazard badge (like jump wings) and continues to be worn after leaving the unit.  It could be argued that a similar badge could be made for the CSOR entrance qualification.

Haggis said:
With that in mind, what OPSEC would a CSOR cap badge violate?
Could be PERSEC.  If secrecy prevents all members of CANSOFCOM from wearing name tags, then that same secrecy should probably dictate against them wearing anything that advertises their specific function with the CADPAT uniform.  What is the secret?  Go ask someone in CANSOFCOM.

MCG said:
It is a skill hazard badge (like jump wings) and continues to be worn after leaving the unit.  It could be argued that a similar badge could be made for the CSOR entrance qualification.

There's an idea!

MCG said:
Could be PERSEC.  If secrecy prevents all members of CANSOFCOM from wearing name tags, then that same secrecy should probably dictate against them wearing anything that advertises their specific function with the CADPAT uniform.  What is the secret?  Go ask someone in CANSOFCOM.

Thanks.  I will.

Trinity said:
Knowing army.ca  if there was even a prototype of a common badge... it would have already been
leaked here  ;D

Are you sure about that?

It is a skill hazard badge (like jump wings) and continues to be worn after leaving the unit.

Care to enlighten as to what it looks like (modified jump wings)?

Sure...Lets talk about the 1SSF connection.

I read in a news article that the Devil's Brigade was named the official lingeage unit of JTF-2, can't speak for the other units in CANSOFCOM.

Although, since CANSOFCOM and 1st Special Service Force are/were both formations, would it not make sense to make the 1SSF the lineage unit of CANSOFCOM instead of just JTF-2?

Bubbles said:
I read in a news article that the Devil's Brigade was named the official lineage unit of JTF-2, can't speak for the other units in CANSOFCOM.

Although, since CANSOFCOM and 1st Special Service Force are/were both formations, would it not make sense to make the 1SSF the lineage unit of CANSOFCOM instead of just JTF-2?
I believe you are correct. What I understand, 1SSF is the CANSOFCOM lineage, not just JTF2. It is also the US Army Special Forces lineage.

St. Micheal's Medical Team said:
Sure...Lets talk about the 1SSF connection.

OK, but I'm going to suggest that this be in a stand-alone thread.

The battle honours of the FSSF were carried on the colours of the Cdn AB Regt.  JTF2, which existed (although for a short time) concurrently with the Cdn AB Regt, cannot be a direct descendant of the Cdn AB Regt either by direct lineage or by task relation as thier roles and tasks are quite different. the JTF2 website states that "today's JTF 2 soldiers are perpetuating the basic qualities that define such units".  However, it also states "today's JTF 2 is very different from any other CF unit that preceded it".  CSOR, with roles and tasks similar to the US Special Forces (who were formed in 1962 and carry on the lineage of the FSSF in the United States) would be a more direct descendant of the Cdn AB Regt and, by extension, the FSSF.

Therefore, CSOR could, in my opinion, adopt a cap badges similar to the accoutrements worn by the FSSF.

MCG,

You said "This seems counter to the secrecy measures of a command which has directed all of its pers to stop wearing name tags."

That is not correct. The command has not directed that. Different units within the command have adopted different policies WRT name tags.

What I understand, 1SSF is the CANSOFCOM lineage, not just JTF2. It is also the US Army Special Forces lineage.

USASF as in Green Berets? Devil's Brigade and SF share different roles - maybe the 75th Rgr Rgt would appear to be a more likely unit for the lineage of the Devil's Brigade.

Does anyone know what the Special Operations Assaulter skill badge looks like?  ;D You've got me thinking about it, now. Is it worn on Combats or parade uniform?

Different roles only do to evolution of SF units in a modern battlefield. Rangers were a stand alone unit on and off since Rodgers Rangers in the 1730's which were stood up and down continuously till the end of the Vietnam conflict where they formed out of the LRRP units operating out of the Airborne units who were fighting at the time. Where as the FSSF was a unit of highly trained soldiers given the mission of preforming special task in WWII which falls into the perview of the now functioning USSF units and their add on units (who ever they may be).

CANSOFCOM and direct action units attached to it could and should trace lineage back to the FSSF and certainly including 1 Can Para and the Can ABN Regt.

IMO anyway

*EDIT: spelling

Bubbles said:
Does anyone know what the Special Operations Assaulter skill badge looks like?  ;D You've got me thinking about it, now. Is it worn on Combats or parade uniform?

go here http://www.cansofcom.forces.gc.ca/en/jtf2_e.asp look at the left side of the screen, now imagine that look solid metal surrounded by a luarel of maple leafs (like in the triforce badge), at least thats what my memory has come up with from when someone posted a link to SOAC badge being sold on ebay.

CF Dress regs, under insignia and accoutrements.
assaulter.jpg

Hey everyone, I am new to this forum.  Found Army.ca about a month ago, what a great site.

Back on topic now, can anyone tell me what regiment this cap badge belongs to, the photo was taken at this years Grey Cup...

http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?find&catalog=photos&template=detail_e.np&field=itemid&op=matches&value=18054&site=combatcamera

Thanks in advance...

Back