• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The brown Temperate Combat Boot (AKA: Mk IV Cbt Boot) - No longer CADPAT

PuckChaser,  did you have any cosmetic type damage to the boots after wearing them in the NEOs?    I wore a pair of tan SWATs in the NEOs awhile ago and the NEOs rubbed off some of the suede.

-Skeletor- said:
PuckChaser,  did you have any cosmetic type damage to the boots after wearing them in the NEOs?    I wore a pair of tan SWATs in the NEOs awhile ago and the NEOs rubbed off some of the suede.

Didn't notice any, although I did have to get a size up for my Neos to fit over the wide sole of the Boulet desert boots. Only thing I got was condensation on the inside of the Neo which didn't freeze and just needed a hang dry every night and was good to go next day. I made sure the Neo was very snug to the boot and my leg, did yours have some play?

NinerSix said:
Minor detail:

Is there a plan for students of CFMPA? I see whole lot of people wearing Mk III/IV while in OPDs at the Academy. Black uniform and brown boots seems a rather poor match, IMHO.

There is a policy at CFMPA right now to wear issued boots while in CADPAT. I think this has kept students from purchasing proper boots until they graduate. I had a MWO in the branch mention that I will soon be wearing brown boots, as my element is Army. I certainly hope we can wear black with OPD.

1 week ago I was issued brown boots - custom fit due to some issues with the MKIV boot but as far as I am aware identical to the general issue.

I will be taking them back to clothing next week. The right boot has a 1 inch hole torn in the cordura upper, at the spot where it joins the leather 'spine' of the boot. They started to show signs of strain in this location within a day of getting them.

I am in an office environment, they have had no field use, no rucksack marches.

Overall, very comfortable - a perfect fit (of course, they are molded to my feet) but... too high and too heavy. Oh, and they tear easily... I'm sure its a defect but I am not impressed.

How long did it take for you to get the custom boots fit/issued? I had a request put in 2 weeks ago for them and still waiting for a call for a fitting.

Someone told me today these brown boots are now counted as an interim brown boot because of all the quality issues. Can anyone else confirm hearing the same thing from an official source?

It took a year, in Kingston. This was because the contract was allowed to lapse and had to be renewed at the end of fiscal year, and then they switched to brown.

I have heard that the normal brown boots are failing pretty terribly, one story was about a guy using them for Nijmegen training and they didn't last long.

I have heard from a pretty good source that they are interim and that off-the-shelf boots are being/will be looked at, the plan is to use Clothing Online to distribute them - points would get renewed every year for new boots. There will be some kind of competition and then a selection of boots will be made available.

Clothing online is an excellent idea IMO.  The delivery can be slow though, and some items are back-ordered which seems like eternity. If the Yukon Hat is any indication on how Clothing Online deals with new issue items... soldiers could be waiting until their VIE expires before they get new boots :)

On the other hand... if they go with a COTS boot, purchasing SWATS with points would be awesome!

MPMick said:
Clothing online is an excellent idea IMO.  The delivery can be slow though, and some items are back-ordered which seems like eternity. If the Yukon Hat is any indication on how Clothing Online deals with new issue items... soldiers could be waiting until their VIE expires before they get new boots :)

On the other hand... if they go with a COTS boot, purchasing SWATS with points would be awesome!

Off the shelf boots...clothing allowance...hey, wasn't this a discussion on this site about a year ago?  Nice to know that some of The Powers That Be "listen" to us  ;)

Now...about the colour of that RCAF DEU (....I kid, I kid).

signalsguy said:
I have heard from a pretty good source that they are interim and that off-the-shelf boots are being/will be looked at, the plan is to use Clothing Online to distribute them - points would get renewed every year for new boots. There will be some kind of competition and then a selection of boots will be made available.

That should take about 10 years...

MM

Dimsum said:
Nice to know that some of The Powers That Be "listen" to us  ;)

Easy trigger. It was an unsubstantiated rumour posted by a member here who got it from a "pretty good source".

CDN Aviator said:
Easy trigger. It was an unsubstantiated rumour posted by a member here who got it from a "pretty good source".

Its a really good source but... I will believe it when I am opening a box of boots that I ordered from the website. In the meantime I'm going back to my non-issued boots, sans holes.

So say I have a pair of brown COTS boots, when is the official date to be able to switch up? Does anyone know the actual date? I've only read "sometime October 2012"...

signalsguy said:
... off-the-shelf boots are being/will be looked at, the plan is to use Clothing Online to distribute them - points would get renewed every year for new boots. There will be some kind of competition and then a selection of boots will be made available.

I submitted this idea to 5 Bde Cmder in the spring of 2009... They can have some kind of competition if they want, as long as the SWATS are one of the available choices, I'm fine with it.  ;)

Dimsum said:
Off the shelf boots...clothing allowance...hey, wasn't this a discussion on this site about a year ago?  ...

It was a discussion on the site way back when I was a Sgt and the IC Clothing (2004ish).

So if the new Temperate Combat Boot is brown, but the Cold Wet Weather Boot is black, what does this mean for those of us who wear non-issued boots for various reasons? Will we have black boot/brown boot changes in the spring and fall (like the old sleeves up/sleeves down thing)? Maybe the units will even be happy with mixing brown and black, year round.

Ostrozac said:
So if the new Temperate Combat Boot is brown, but the Cold Wet Weather Boot is black, what does this mean for those of us who wear non-issued boots for various reasons? Will we have black boot/brown boot changes in the spring and fall (like the old sleeves up/sleeves down thing)? Maybe the units will even be happy with mixing brown and black, year round.

Why are you wearing "Non-issued" boots?

Is this on a personal whim of yours, or on a legitimate "Medical Chit"?

George Wallace said:
Why are you wearing "Non-issued" boots?

Is this on a personal whim of yours, or on a legitimate "Medical Chit"?

Why does it matter anymore?  A huge portion of the soldiers now wear privately purchased boots.  I was recently appointed as SSM, and I do too.  So do my RSM and CO.  Non-issued boots are a non-issue.  Or at least they have been. 

His question in regards to colour issues is valid if you ask me, and I think that your question is driving at the wrong issue.  This has been a de-facto accepted practice in many units for a long time.

willy said:
Why does it matter anymore?  A huge portion of the soldiers now wear privately purchased boots.  I was recently appointed as SSM, and I do too.  So do my RSM and CO.  Non-issued boots are a non-issue.  Or at least they have been. 

His question in regards to colour issues is valid if you ask me, and I think that your question is driving at the wrong issue.  This has been a de-facto accepted practice in many units for a long time.

You're not at JSR obviously; you might want to avoid coming/returning too. No non-issued footwear allowed to be worn here without a valid recent med chit.

If the troops are wearing privately purchased boots, that perhaps speaks volumes to the quality, comfort, durability and practicality of what is on offer.  If the issue boots were hot shit, then the boys would be willingly wearing them in my experience.  That's why when I was in Calgary in the early 90's those who could afford them, wore Danners.  Not to mention Norwegian sweaters and US rain jackets and cbt coat liners.

Should not command better direct their attention and efforts into getting gear that meets the standards that are obviously not being met instead of "no tickiee, no laundry!"?

Back