• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Capt. Trevor Greene Thread

One more update on Capt. Greene:

javascript:void(window.open('http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/canada?ch=222561&cl=408498','playerWindow','width=793,height=608,scrollbars=no'));

All the crap he has been through, and will be going through, and he still wants to know if he can go back.  That is a true warrior.  :salute: :cdn:

Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act - http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33409

Soldier injured in axe attack recovering from latest surgery
Canadian Press, via Halifax Chronicle-Herald, 15 Oct 06
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Canada/534584.html

VANCOUVER (CP) — A Canadian soldier who suffered a near-fatal axe attack in Afghanistan is recovering well from his latest surgery as support from around the world continues for his healing, says his wife.

Debbie Lepore told CBC Radio that Greene had an operation on his skull three weeks ago and is ready to face the challenge of rehabilitation.

Greene is also able to move his body more on his own now instead of physiotherapists doing it for him, Lepore said.

The soldier was ambushed March 4 while sitting down for what he thought would be a friendly gathering of elders in an Afghanistan village.

Greene had put down his weapon and removed his helmet during the meeting when a villager in his teens snuck up behind him, pulled an axe from his clothing and struck him in the head. Canadian and Afghani soldiers shot and killed the attacker.

The last thing Greene remembers is being mugged, Lepore said.

"Because the person would have come up from behind, that’s how it would have felt to him."

Lepore doesn’t think her husband feels any sense of betrayal.

"He hasn’t articulated that yet," she said. "I think it’s too early on for him to really start dealing with that. His big focus right now is his recovery and he’s said that."

Greene was drawn to the Afghanistan mission because of his passion for humanitarian causes, Lepore said.

"He’s always bringing a voice to the oppressed," she said of the former journalist. "He wanted to serve his country in a meaningful way.

"And to do that he wanted to help people that needed help, that needed the average everyday things that we take for granted, like clean drinking water and schools and education and an end to oppression."

Lepore said she doesn’t think about the political aspects of Canada’s military involvement in Afghanistan after the deaths of 40 Canadian soldiers in that country.

She said she feels a sense of loss for families whose loved ones have died in the line of duty.

"Our situation is different because Trevor will recover and as he continues to go through rehab he will come back and those other families don’t have that to look forward to."

Greene and his family appreciate the ongoing support they’re getting, Lepore said.

"There’s a lot of support from all around the world, not just from Vancouver, Canada, but from the States and from Europe and Asia. He has a far-reaching network of friends and colleagues."

Thanks for the update Tony. Its warming to know that he is slowly on the mend, and that he has support from all over.

Cheers,

Wes

Thank you for the update. It's nice to hear how things are progressing after the big news splash over six months ago. Lets hope his recovery continues to go well for him and his family.

Thank you for the update.

Best wishes to the injured

Kudos to CTV News for airing a very inspiring piece on the progress Trevor Greene is making 4 years after his grievous injury in Afghanistan; while other broadcasting entities *cough* CBC *cough"* are IMHO busy picking the pepper from the flyshit, looking for every microscopic/miniscule fault with our servicemen & women, but I guess "that's their job"  ::)

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/WFive/20101201/w5-trevor-greene-soldier-amazing-recovery-102101/

The Man is nothing short of an inspiration....  It's stories like this about people like that, which make me proud to serve along side such incredible Canadians.  :salute:

Go Trevor Go...

Army captain beating odds in recovery from Afghanistan axe attack
Five years after an Afghani teenager attacked Capt. Trevor Greene’s head with an axe, Greene is still alive and still making a difference in the world, despite what doctors predicted at the time.
Not only did Greene survive, against all odds he came out of a coma. Against all odds he avoided being left in a vegetative state. Against all odds, he has been able to stand on his own. He wants one day to walk again.
Greene’s determined forward march in his recovery against his massive brain injury has earned him the 2011 award in the physical rehabilitation category.
“Anything is possible,” he said. “My story is going to show people how much is possible.”

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Army+captain+beating+odds+recovery+from+Afghanistan+attack/4670488/story.html#ixzz1KaMh3nIb

I remember this incident, it took place just before I graduated from RMC. This was a definite eye opener to those of us who were expected be shipping out within the year.  He's a total inspiration, as is the medic who took such great care of him.  Thank you for posting this; always wondered what happened to Capt. Greene.  :salute:

A good write up was in Reader's Digest this month as well.

The good Capt and his wife are one hell of a team.

Wook

The healing continues....
On the day Canada’s combat mission ended in Afghanistan, Capt. Trevor Greene sat under a cloudless sky half a world away. Strong. Content. Grateful. Making plans. Cracking the odd joke, even.

Here on Vancouver Island, the country’s best-known war casualty is just steps away from being his old self, after 64 at times hellish months of surgery and therapy.

And those steps — to walk again is the ultimate goal in an odds-defying recovery from his devastating 2006 axe attack — Greene, 46, now describes with certainty.

“I’m going after it. I’ll walk. I’m positive.” The statement is persuasive, given how hours earlier he rose to his feet repeatedly during an iron-pumping session in his home gym on the outskirts of Nanaimo.

But as he rewrites conventional medical wisdom, awakening his body, limb by limb, movement by movement, Greene is now thinking beyond simply walking. He’s looking to pick up where he left off in Afghanistan. Not as a soldier, but as a humanitarian.

A charitable foundation aimed at the education of Afghan girls is what Greene and his equally dedicated wife, Debbie, have in mind. And it is far from an idle notion ....
Source:  Toronto Star, 16 Jul 11

Both Capt Greene and his wife are remarkable individuals and an inspiration to not only CF members but the entire nation.  He displays exceptional character and determination.  People like them make be proud to be Canadian.  :salute: 

I wish them both well in his continuing recovery.  I have no doubt that he will reach his goal.

Another update....
.... years of therapy, including visualization and repetition to help remap his brain to control simple movements, has given him some ability to use his arms. Now living in Nanaimo, on Vancouver Island, Greene and his wife are working on his goal of walking again.

The Greenes received a $100,000 bequest from the estate of James Motherwell, a Vancouver man they'd never met. The plan is to use it as seed money for a charity aimed at educating Afghan girls.

Greene, who before joining the military wrote a book about Vancouver's troubled Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, has co-written a book with his wife about his recovery. It is scheduled for publication next March and some of the proceeds will also go towards the Greenes' Afghan charity.
Yahoo.ca news blog, 3 Nov 11

Back