• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Defence Budget [superthread]

Sorry, JMT, but  :rofl:  gasp, pause for breath  :rofl:

Not from my seat's view at work... I'd almost not be surprised if the payroll didn't come in mid-month with the vibes going around.  This has all the smell and taste of the early 90's after Mr. C took over the helm.  And again, I really, really, really hope that the spidey sense we are getting in the office is just wind.  But, I fear, it's more substance than just wind.

jmt18325 said:
The unofficial word around official Ottawa is that the budget's Donald Trump Paragraph means that the forthcoming defence review -- with the Trudeau government's amorphous pledge to "equip the Forces to meet the challenges of the coming decades" -- will result in Canada finally meeting its NATO commitment. A Conservative government had long been a NATO free rider, but it will be a Liberal government that will finally pay its way in NATO. To this Liberal hawk, that is profoundly ironic -- but highly satisfying.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/warren-kinsella/trump-trudeau-and-nato_b_15643424.html

I'll take that with a grain of salt, but that would be huge news if true.

Since it comes from Mr Kinsella, then that grain is salt block size.
Words are words, I won't get excited until there is actual ships alongside and sailors manning all stations!

FSTO said:
Words are words, I won't get excited until there is actual ships alongside and sailors manning all stations!

Agree with both you and JJT on Kinsella......

But...

One thing I have discovered is that the only people that can enact "conservative" policies in Canada are the Liberals.  For exactly the same reason that Jr got elected: better marketing.

FSTO said:

I actually posted it specifically because it was from him - if anyone were to know...

jmt18325 said:
The unofficial word around official Ottawa is that the budget's Donald Trump Paragraph means that the forthcoming defence review -- with the Trudeau government's amorphous pledge to "equip the Forces to meet the challenges of the coming decades" -- will result in Canada finally meeting its NATO commitment. A Conservative government had long been a NATO free rider, but it will be a Liberal government that will finally pay its way in NATO. To this Liberal hawk, that is profoundly ironic -- but highly satisfying.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/warren-kinsella/trump-trudeau-and-nato_b_15643424.html

I think you shouldn't rush to snap judgments about how much the Liberal's are going to invest beyond the postponement of billions of dollars to DND's capital budget.

You know, like waiting until the truth actually comes out.  I remember someone telling many of us just a little while ago not to pre-judge...  :whistle:

Good2Golf said:
I think you shouldn't rush to snap judgments about how much the Liberal's are going to invest beyond the postponement of billions of dollars to DND's capital budget.

You know, like waiting until the truth actually comes out.  I remember someone telling many of us just a little while ago not to pre-judge...  :whistle:

I'm just posting a story that came up on twitter that I found interesting and hopeful.

jmt18325 said:
Gender based Analysis, government buzz word. Atleast thats the only gba+ i can find. They will need every woman in the CF to get an equalled out battalion.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

jmt18325 said:

Given the mount of criticism Kinsella heaped on Trudeau during the leadership race (his man Garneau) and the election and continues to on his twitter,  Kinsella is very much an outsider in his own party.

jmt18325 said:

Please do not read the comments after that article...

Halifax Tar said:
Please do not read the comments after that article...

Actually those comments explain how the Canadian government, regardless of team colour, is able to get away with their deficit of defense spending.  Canadians, in the majority, do not give two anal massages about their military IF it means that their guvermint entitlements maybe cut or held below the rate of inflation. 

jollyjacktar said:
Not from my seat's view at work... I'd almost not be surprised if the payroll didn't come in mid-month with the vibes going around.  This has all the smell and taste of the early 90's after Mr. C took over the helm.  And again, I really, really, really hope that the spidey sense we are getting in the office is just wind.  But, I fear, it's more substance than just wind.

Mr C is hiding in the wings as one of JT's advisors.  Your fears may have some substance.

Lightguns said:
Actually those comments explain how the Canadian government, regardless of team colour, is able to get away with their deficit of defense spending.  Canadians, in the majority, do not give two anal massages about their military IF it means that their guvermint entitlements maybe cut or held below the rate of inflation.

And speaking of said Canadians, you'll find one man's opinion as stated in today's Chronicle Herald.  This guy is, I believe, a full civilian and not defence analyst or any sort... but everyone has an opinion and this is his.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/opinion/1454557-opinion-five-ways-we-can-remake-canada%E2%80%99s-defence-strategy 

George Wallace said:
Mr C is hiding in the wings as one of JT's advisors.  Your fears may have some substance.

Ye Gods, save us from "dat guy".  Once with him as overlord was more than enough to suit me.

jollyjacktar said:
And speaking of said Canadians, you'll find one man's opinion as stated in today's Chronicle Herald.  This guy is, I believe, a full civilian and not defence analyst or any sort... but everyone has an opinion and this is his.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/opinion/1454557-opinion-five-ways-we-can-remake-canada%E2%80%99s-defence-strategy

I think that guy drank all the Liberal cool aide and had their cookies too lol

Halifax Tar said:
I think that guy drank all the Liberal cool aide and had their cookies too lol

Lighthouses.....with big 'effin' missiles pointing out of them.  That will make the bad man go away.  And more Twin Otters, and, and,............

jollyjacktar said:
This guy is, I believe, a full civilian and not defence analyst or any sort... but everyone has an opinion and this is his.

THAT was effin' hilarious!    :rofl:

"full civilian"...but definitely not a 'full deck'  ;D

Lightguns said:
Lighthouses.....with big 'effin' missiles pointing out of them.  That will make the bad man go away.  And more Twin Otters, and, and,............

He's why we don't get nice things

Back