• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Gagetown Thread- Merged

If he has wheels, or can get a lift, he can go to Wal-Mart and buy himself a 42'' HDTV, xBox 360 and whack of games on his first paycheck. Then, on the 27th day, return them to Wal-mart (who have a 30 return policy on electronics), get his money back (hmm didn't like em too much) and then go buy a PS3, 52'' TV and whack of games. REPEAT ad nauseam or until the Manager of Wal-Mart bans him from the store. Then carry on at futureshop! He gets entertained, they get their money back when they sell the returns at a liquidators, everybody wins!

Of course, the sensible answer is go to wal-mart, get a bike or similar piece of outdoor equipment, and thrash the hell out of it in the local area, getting himself fit. Or save up his bucks and jump in with some mates for a naughty weekend in Halifax. Oh wait he's 18 nevermind. That rules out my last idea  >:D

Thanks for some ideas folks.  I've texted him with a few tonight, so hopefully that will give him a few ideas to get him started. 

He has a PSP, and asked me to send it to him....do you really think I should?!?!?!  YIKES!  I thought about downloading some audiobooks onto his mp3 player and sending that out.  I'm mailed him a book today that I think he'll like.

The gym is great in Gagetown, there are good runing trails, amazing scenery and Freddy is not too far and there is always someone going having no wheels is not the end of the world.  

I was in Gagetown for a year a couple years back for basic and DP1 so I know what he's going through.  Boring base.  What I did on weekends when I was in a sober state of mind  >:D was head to rogers video and rent some movies.  So I'd recommend he pick up a little DVD player.  Rogers had a pretty decent rental fee and if he feels so inclined, Oromocto mall can be walked to from base.  If not it's only like a 6 dollar cab ride.  So that's my suggestion.

Also as others suggested, head to the gym.  Work out, get some guys together and play some sports.  Gagetown is what he makes of it.  It can be a long boring summer or a long not-quite-as boring summer  :).

I spent many summers in Gagetown and can't say I was bored on the weekends, unless I wanted to be. 

It seems he may not know many people, which is probably the best obstacle to overcome.  Find some guys that are going to Mactaquac Beach and get some sun and swimming in on a Saturday afternoon.  There is the Reversing Falls (which you can ride) in Saint John, Hopewell Rocks closer to Moncton, all good 'day trips'.  If he can find some other willing people, and is into something like this, he/they could make the short trip to the ferry and hop over to Grand Manan Island.  Not much there really (which is part of the charm!), the scenary at night is breathtaking and myself, I went there to go whale watching for the first time and I was awed by it.  The Right Whales were 20-25 feet from us at times.  There's a few ideas of things I've done/seen in the province when I wasn't at Sweets, The Chestnut, Dolans, The Hilltop or any of the other popular spots in the province amoung young troops in Gagetown.

If he golfs, there is an 18-hole course minutes from the Main Gate was well.

I realize he has no vehicle but someone might if he can make a few buddies (usually not a problem on that base) and they can perhaps rent one for the weekend, etc.  Just throwing some ideas out there. 

Yeesh.  Everything in Oromocto is within walking distance. $40.00 will get you a round trip into Freddy.  If a young man of 18 can't find SOMETHING to do in what I consider the best place in Canada to live, then I suggest he move to Gander, NL for a week.  I believe he would swim the Atlantic his own self just to get back to Oromocto...

BinRat55 said:
Yeesh.  Everything in Oromocto is within walking distance. $40.00 will get you a round trip into Freddy.  If a young man of 18 can't find SOMETHING to do in what I consider the best place in Canada to live, then I suggest he move to Gander, NL for a week.  I believe he would swim the Atlantic his own self just to get back to Oromocto...

Gander's not that bad, I'm just glad I drive there from town (and back shortly after or straight through)  ;D

As for Gagetown on the weekends, as was said its all what he wants to make from it.  There is free internet the maritime Club soon as NF Sapper said, there is also free wireless hotspots through Oromocto/Freddie.  Books are a good idea, along with electronic game systems.

There is a decent book store in the Oromocto Mall (forget the name, even tho I pass by it daily  ::)) so he may want to check that out.

Hope that helps

BinRat55 said:
Book Nook?

no, that's the magazine store

I'll look when I am back from summer leave, but I think it is Shara's Book Store or something along those lines.

nrs said:
Thanks for some ideas folks.  I've texted him with a few tonight, so hopefully that will give him a few ideas to get him started. 

He has a PSP, and asked me to send it to him....do you really think I should?!?!?!  YIKES!  I thought about downloading some audiobooks onto his mp3 player and sending that out.  I'm mailed him a book today that I think he'll like.

Tell him:

Friday post 1600hrs - head to Griffens (he can walk there; it's at the front gate) -- look for Vern (or just ask for me, 99% of them could point me out).

If he looks like he's getting too skinny - I'll even make sure he eats a good meal (I'm a mom too)!!

And, really ... I'm not that bad; I don't know what school he's staff at, but by the end of the night I guarantee you that I'll have him introduced to other staff from whatever school; usually, we conglomerate on the patio, but with the forecast for this week ... may seek inside shelter for various periods of time.

Vern

ArmyVern said:
Tell him:

Friday post 1600hrs - head to Griffens (he can walk there; it's at the front gate) -- look for Vern (or just ask for me, 99% of them could point me out).

If he looks like he's getting too skinny - I'll even make sure he eats a good meal (I'm a mom too)!!

And, really ... I'm not that bad; I don't know what school he's staff at, but by the end of the night I guarantee you that I'll have him introduced to other staff from whatever school; usually, we conglomerate on the patio, but with the forecast for this week ... may seek inside shelter for various periods of time.

Vern

That will at least give him something to do, and Vern will help him make friends  >:D

ArmyVern said:
And, really ... I'm not that bad;

No comment  >:D [JK]

NL_engineer said:
That will at least give him something to do, and Vern will help him make friends  >:D

No comment  >:D [JK]

Oh please young 'un.  ::)

I'll ensure that the nasty men that I hang out with don't corrupt him.  ;)

o-o-o-o-o-okay.....I emailed him Vern!

Thanks everybody.  If the advice hasn't been helpful to him, it's been helpful to me.  Now I know that if he is miserable, it's not because there aren't any options for him.

ArmyVern said:
Tell him:

Vern

Also the Maritime Club has weekly TGIF's with free food starting at 1700. This week I believe its fish and chips.

Since this sounds like his first time to Gagetown I will go out on a limb and say that he's not an Engineer (other wise he would know what to do here), so he must belong to one of the other schools.

NFLD Sapper said:
Also the Maritime Club has weekly TGIF's with free food starting at 1700. This week I believe its fish and chips.

Since this sounds like his first time to Gagetown I will go out on a limb and say that he's not an Engineer (other wise he would know what to do here), so he must belong to one of the other schools.

What do you care what's at the Jr Ranks Mess Friday night for munchies?? I thought you were babysitting me at Griffens?  ??? (Which IS where I will be eating supper - I'll have to figure out what to eat when I get there).

Just showing the kid that there is some stuff to do around here.

And I think you would probably be ordering the same as last time?  ;D

NFLD Sapper said:
Just showing the kid that there is some stuff to do around here.

And I think you would probably be ordering the same as last time?  ;D

What with such a large menu to choose from?? This time - I think I'll NOT order the side of mushrooms/onions to go with it - how's that for switching it up??  >:D

BTW ... last Friday I ate both lunch and supper there --- the same meal both times. Every time. Go figure.  ;)

Back