• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Spam and Scam Superthread- Merged

Bruce Monkhouse said:
People still buy lottery tickets..............

I don;t think you should conpare, Hope or Wishfull Thinking with Stupidity or Common Sense.

Plus, one is Legitimate the other Illegal.

A few new tricks, via the FBI's New E-Scams & Warnings page:

FRAUDULENT E-MAIL CLAIMING TO CONTAIN FBI “INTELLIGENCE BULLETIN NO. 267”

10/05/09—A fraudulent e-mail message claiming to contain a confidential FBI report titled “New Patterns in Al-Qaeda Financing” has been circulating since August 15, 2009. The e-mail has the subject line “Intelligence Bulletin No. 267,” and contains an attachment titled “bulletin.exe.” This message, or similar messages, may contain files that are harmful to the recipient’s system and may try to steal user credentials.

DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS E-MAIL OR SIMILAR E-MAILS, IT IS A HOAX.

The FBI does not send unsolicited e-mails or email official reports. Consumers should not respond to any unsolicited e-mails or click on any embedded links, as they may contain viruses or other malicious software.

Below is an example of the fraudulent e-mail message:

INTELLIGENCE BULLETIN No. 267
Title: New Patterns in Al-Qaeda Financing
Date: August 15, 2009
THREAT LEVEL: YELLOW (ELEVATED)

THE INTELLIGENCE BULLETIN PROVIDES LAW ENFORCEMENT AND OTHER PUBLIC SAFET= OFFICIALS WITH SITUATIONAL AWARENESS CONCERNING INTERNATIONAL AND DOMES=IC TERRORIST GROUPS AND TACTICS....

FRAUDULENT E-MAIL CLAIMING TO BE FROM DHS AND THE FBI COUNTERTERRORISM DIVISION

10/05/09—Fraudulent e-mails containing the subject line “New DHS Report” have been circulating since August 15, 2009. The e-mails claim to be from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the FBI Counterterrorism Division. The e-mail text contains information about “New Usama Bin Ladin Speech Directed to the People of Europe,” and has an attachment titled “audio.exe.” The attachment is purportedly an audio speech from Bin Ladin; however, it actually contains malicious software intended to steal information from the recipient’s system.

DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS E-MAIL OR SIMILAR E-MAILS, IT IS A HOAX.

The FBI does not send unsolicited e-mails or e-mail official reports. Consumers should not respond to any unsolicited e-mails or click on any embedded links, as they may contain viruses or malware.

One example of this fraudulent e-mail message is as follows:

Subject: New DHS Report

New Usama Bin Ladin Speech Directed to the People of Europe
Prepared by DHS/I&A Intelligence Watch and Warning Division and the FBI Counter Terrorism Division

(U//FOUO) Media outlets are reporting the release of a new audio tape on Al Jazeera today from Usama Bin Ladin, in which he states that all European countries involved in the Afghanistan war should end their support of American oppression in Afghanistan. In the audio message, Bin Ladin claims direct responsibility for the 11 September 2001 attacks and emphasizes that neither the Afghan people nor the Afghan government had foreknowledge of the attacks.

////Signed////
Charlie Allen
Chief Intelligence Officer
Department of Homeland Security

As with many fraudulent e-mail messages, this message contains multiple spelling errors and poor grammar....

[/quote]

Here's another Job Offer One, don't fall for it.

It reads:  Job Offer!!!.‏
You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk
Sent: Fri 10/09/09 10:05 PM
To: 

A new job opening in your area, It's a work from home/office position and you are not required to pay any registration fee or pay for any application form before you get employed. Job details (what you'll be doing): 1.Collect payment from Customers. 2. Cash Payments at your Bank. 3. Deduct 1/10 which is your commission/Payment on check cashed. 4. Forward the remaining 9/10 to the information that will be provided later on. fill application: I would be glad if you accept my proposal for an opportunity to make up 10% of each transaction completed. Please reply via email with complete information as requested: A. NAME,B. STREET ADDRESS (NOT P.O BOX),C. CITY:D. STATE:E. ZIP CODE F. COUNTRY G. MOBILE NUMBER,H. AGE,I. SEX,J. OCCUPATION K. E MAILAll replies should be sent to Henrypeters@mail2dotcom.com kindly reply immediately. Please email me back as soon as possible. Regards,Henry Peters

Poor Old Henry Peters is gonna wait a long time.

Regarding the Late senator Edward Kennedy of America

Dear Friend,

My Name is Mr. Mark Ford a staff of a reputable Bank here in London.
There is a need for you to urgently reply and let me know if you can assist me in a business deal.
I am the accounts officer to the late American Politician Senator Edward Kennedy.
Senator Edward Kennedy made a deposit of a huge amount of money in our bank and as the account officer, I have with me all the information regarding to the funds with our bank here.
He deposited the money here since the year 2001 and was hoping to come for it's withdrawal before he died.
I just returned from the United States Of America to personally confirm his death and no body asked me about the money showing that he never told any one about the said amount of money.
I urgently need your assistance to transfer the money out of this bank into your account.
We shall share the money 50% - 50%.
I want to assure you that with my position here, the money will legally and smoothly be transferred to you.
Please confirm to me your interest so that I can give you the detail.
Call me on +447024051988 and you may send your reply also to my alternative email address at: mford.ford71@gmail.com
Best Regards,
Mark Ford.

There's no doubt in my mind that the Kennedys have huge unkown and unaccounted amounts squirreled away in hidden accounts. I somehow doubt though that Mr. Mark Ford has access to them ;)

Here is another little gem from the scammers.
I traced the IP address to the delightful little country of Benin.
I didn't know Yahoo moved their headquarters to that place.  ;D

Due to the congestion in our Yahoo! servers, there would be removal of all unused Yahoo! Accounts.
You will have to confirm if your E-mail is still active by filling out your login info below after clicking
the reply button, or your account will be suspended within 24 hours for security reasons.

Your Personal Information
User Name: ..........
Password: .........
Date of Birth: .............

But wait a minute, it says to reply to the message and submit your personal information.
But this sentence appears later in the email.

Please do reply to this message.

I hate dumb scammers.  ;D

FastEddy said:

It reads:  Job Offer!!!.‏
You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk
Sent: Fri 10/09/09 10:05 PM
To: 

A new job opening in your area, It's a work from home/office position and you are not required to pay any registration fee or pay for any application form before you get employed. Job details (what you'll be doing): 1.Collect payment from Customers. 2. Cash Payments at your Bank. 3. Deduct 1/10 which is your commission/Payment on check cashed. 4. Forward the remaining 9/10 to the information that will be provided later on. fill application: I would be glad if you accept my proposal for an opportunity to make up 10% of each transaction completed. Please reply via email with complete information as requested: A. NAME,B. STREET ADDRESS (NOT P.O BOX),C. CITY:D. STATE:E. ZIP CODE F. COUNTRY G. MOBILE NUMBER,H. AGE,I. SEX,J. OCCUPATION K. E MAILAll replies should be sent to Henrypeters@mail2dotcom.com kindly reply immediately. Please email me back as soon as possible. Regards,Henry Peters

Poor Old Henry Peters is gonna wait a long time.

Yeah, this is a real fraud technique being done right now.  You will certainly get "customers" to collect from.  They give you a cheque for about $100, you keep your $10 and the cheque will clear.  However, at that point you are hooked.  Suddenly, the customer payments are around $4000 (never over $5000  ;) ) and you think you are raking in the cash!  Right up until you realize that every cheque was bogus and you just gave away a hell of a lot of your own money to some unknown fister. 

More dumb?  Sadly, elder abuse is a big target for these types too.  I could see the "You are about to be arrested" working on some oldster.  I just did a call last week where the guy on the phone did the old "I am with XXX Internal Security and I need your help with an investigation at your bank".  They get the person to go to the bank, withdraw $4800, meet them and hand over the money.  This guy even went so far as to swear the woman to secrecy, and told her that if the bank inquired about why she was taking so much cash out she should say "It's for an private family emergency" so as to not tip them off to the investigation.  The person who takes the money at the drop site is then supposed to verify the amount, put it back into the persons account and then arrange to re-issue them a bank card.  You'd think anyone could spot that kind of bullshit a mile away, yet the poor bird I was taking the report from was out $4800 cash. 
Another one that worked in our border town is somebody claiming to be from a Canadian police department calls American grandparent and says their grandchild is in jail and needs several thousand dollars bail.  This one actually made the news over here.

If you have older family that still live on their own, it doesn't hurt to just go over some of these scams and just get them thinking that way.  Most people say it could never happen to them, yet if it couldn't these arseholes would be out of jobs. 

At least make a friggin' attempt to scam me using proper English. ^-^

Attn: My Dear
We have arranged your payment of ($1.5Million) One Million five hundred thousand united state dollars Previously in ATM payment card to be sent to you through western union money transfer payment: Your payment will sent to you by western union.

The amount you will receive per day is $10,000 The minister trust funds and IMF boards of Benin Republic will send you the current standard track details you will need to pick up your ($10,000) payment by western union, you will receive every day till you receive the $1.5Million united state dollars, now no need to send you this ATM card because you can not be able to withdraw the ATM card due to the atm master card contain large money on it.

The director administrtor trust funds has already signed your payment, now you are free to comply with wemaco payment office on this email:(wumtbenin2009@sify.com) however, kindly contact the below person who is in position to release your payment by western union per $10,000 a day.

MR YAWA OKATA,
western union department 
Telphone:(+229 9842 8092)
E-mail:(wumtbenin2009@sify.com)

The financial western union payment center has been mandated to issue out your payment and you have to stop any further communication with any other person(s) or office(s) to avoid any hitches in receiving your payment. Note that the administrator payment need this details from you to process your payment and the only money you will pay is the processing and administration fee before you will start receiving your fund.

Receiver name---------------
Country---------------------
City------------------------
Tel-------------------------
Test question---------------
Answer----------------------

Comply now because as soon as you send this required details to MR YAWA OKATA  he will start sending your payment by western union.

Regards,
Ukaria Ebele

我有新的電郵地址!
你現可電郵給我:donchuks62@yahoo.com.hk

- Attention beneficiary, we have concluded to effect your payment via western union $4.500. Daily until the total of $1.500,000.00SD is completely send. The Western union Agent: is Mr.Frank Gilton TEL: +229 97 860 992 E-mail:( western.union.m@sify.com ) so contact Mr.Frank Gilton, and tell him to give you the MTCN and sender name to pick the$4,500.00send to him the above information ASAP.1.YOUR FULL NAME 2.YOUR HOME ADDRESS 3YOUR CURRENT HOME TELEPHONE NUMBER ThanksMr.DON CHUKS.

This guy even has a Facebook page.  Guess where he's from??    ::)

RE: CONGRATULATIONS/ FINAL NOTIFICATION‏
Sent: October 22, 2009 8:16:25 AM
To:

Catholic Aid Sweepstake Promotions

We are pleased to inform you that you have won the sweepstake Promotions
"Lotto draw of Ј850,000.00 " please contact Prof Down Walker @ Clearance office for details at
Email: transferdepth11@yahoo.com.hk, Tel: +44 70457 82421

mrs. Deborah Jones
Customer service

Wow, I don't even remember entering!!  What exactly is J850,000.00?  Yen??  ::)

Googled the email address and got this.

PMedMoe said:
What exactly is J850,000.00?  Yen??  ::)

I think The J is supposed to represent Pounds Sterling but they didn't have that symbol on their keyboard. Looking at the number of times "Ј850,000.00" showed up on a Google search seems all the scammers have the same keyboard.

kkwd said:
I think The J is supposed to represent Pounds Sterling but they didn't have that symbol on their keyboard. Looking at the number of times "Ј850,000.00" showed up on a Google search seems all the scammers have the same keyboard.

You mean they don't know about "insert symbol" using Word?    ::)

;D

Word? Only rich people and government employees can get that stuff.  ;D

kkwd said:

Must have it because I work for the government then.....  :-\

kkwd said:

Win Vista has "Create Documents" same as Word and "Create Spread Sheets" same as Excel, both do the exact same thing, just a slightly different Menu structure built in. However I've put in Office 2000, I like the Tool Bars better.

Cheers.

[/quote]

Here's one from the Desk of a Rev. Father. Oh Yeah  ::)

CENTRAL BANK INT'L PAYMENT CENTRE,IKEJA LAGOS-NIGERIAFROM THE DESK OF:REV FATHER BRIGHT EGOO SECRETARY TO THE GOVERNOR ATTENTION:  This is to notify you that after we met today with The President, Accountant General of the Federation,Office of the Senate House, and House of Representatives we came to a conclusion that we have to pay you the sum of $8.3m as your contract/inhretance entitlement. The payment will come to you via ATM DEBIT CARD, therefore you are to rec-confirm the following iNFORMATION; (1) Full Name: (2) Address:(3) Phone no: Immediate respond is urgently needed. Call +234-1 -822-6986 for more details.  REGARDS,Managing Director \ INT'L REMMITANCE DEPT.CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIAREV FATHER BRIGHT EGOO SECRETARY TO THE GOVERNOR

Greetings, I am sorry to encroach into your privacy in this manner, I found yourlisted in the Trade Centre Chambers of Commerce directory here in Japan, Ifind it pleasurable to offer you my partnership in business, I only prayat this time that your address is still valid. I want to solicit yourattention to receive money on my behalf.

The purpose of my contacting you is because my status would not permit meto do this alone.

When you reply this message, I will send you the full details and moreinformation about myself and the funds. If interested, please replythrough my alternate email: aratj00@w.cn.

Mr. Arata John Isamu
(Head of Account Dept,Tokyo Mitsubishi Bank,Tokyo, Japan)

I didn't realize I had registered at the Trade Centre Chambers of Commerce directory in Japan.  Amazing!!!

PMedMoe said:
I didn't realize I had registered at the Trade Centre Chambers of Commerce directory in Japan.  Amazing!!!

Me to, I didn't know I had a account with Google.

Hello,

We are currently performing regular maintenance of our customer databases.

We apologize for the inconvenience but you will need to verify your email address.
To start verifying your emaill please click the link below.

http://www.adwords.google.com/select/Login

Please note! If you don't verify your email within 48 hours since you've got this

email your adwords account may be suspended until further notice.

Thank you for your time. We look forward to providing you with the most
effective advertising available.

Sincerely,
The Google AdWords Team.

I did'nt click on this one to find out where they were going, but they don't sound like the Nigerian bunch.

Cheers.

Received another "typical" one today from South Africa.  What was interesting was that it was a pdf attached to the email.  It also uses the name of a real (?) person, but of course with the warning not to call at the office number due to the "sensitivity" of the transaction.    ::)  There are indeed Skinner and Andries streets in Pretoria, South Africa.

If these scammers are making up personalities and the accompanying websites, they are pretty creative.

The scam email can be seen here.

Just found this one in the news, it would seem that an Etobicoke couple has been defrauding seniors of money by claiming to have a winning lottery ticket and not being able to cash it as they are not citizens.

Article Link

TORONTO -- An Etobicoke couple is duping seniors and new Canadians out of money by claiming to be lottery winners who can't cash their tickets because they're not citizens.

Const. Tony Vella said the scam surfaced after a 65-year-old woman was approached by a middle-aged couple at a bus stop in the Islington Ave. and Humber Summit Lane area last weekend.

"The suspect spoke Spanish and claimed to have a winning ticket," Vella said yesterday. "He told the victim he couldn't cash the ticket because he wasn't a Canadian citizen."

The senior was driven to an ATM where she was persuaded to hand over $18,000 to the couple in exchange for half of the winnings.

Police said the woman asked for her money back and was given a pencil case, which turned out to contain newspaper clippings, instead of the money. By the time she had the case opened, the couple had disappeared, police said.

"People should always be aware and cautious in whatever they do," Vella said. "This sum of money could be her life savings."

More on link

I don't know about most people, but I have a limit on what I can withdraw at one time on an ATM and it certainly isn't $18,000.  :o

It's disgusting that these people deliberately perpetrate their crimes on the gullible.  >:(

Back