• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The stuff the army issues is useless" and "no non-issue kit over seas!"

I'm curious is the 5.56mm AP round they tested was M995 or if they are erroneously calling M855/C77 an AP round -- since M995 will penetrate most materials better than 7.62x51mm NATO AP.

MCG said:
Where are you coming from with this?  It is Canadian research; it is done metric.

I am trying to remember something I seen a wile back, it may be 32g

My big beefs with the issued BEW are the optical clarity, and that they scratch so easily.

Infidel-6 said:
I'm curious is the 5.56mm AP round they tested was M995 or if they are erroneously calling M855/C77 an AP round -- since M995 will penetrate most materials better than 7.62x51mm NATO AP.
I wouldn't know.

MCG said:
I wouldn't know.

Roger -- just curious in this instance.

As well I want to be clear on this -- I AM NOT RECOMMENDING ANYONE HERE IN THE CF GO OUT AND GET YOUR OWN PPE.

I think the CF needs to alter some things, but I would NEVER support troops doing their own (except me  ;) - and MG34 and maybe one or two other guys here...)

I saw a MP in Afghan that had added a plastic fobus rail system and cheap $30 red dot to his C8 -- when I asked him how it kept zero - he replied he had not been able to zero it yet (and it being on an operational gun...).  NSN stuff good, Canadian Tire stuff bad.

Infanteer said:
The new mortar gloves are nice....

Sorry wrong thread.  This thread is for using one's energies to whine, bitch and argue instead of writing UCRs and maybe even posting the text used for others to have as a resource to add their own comments when they submit a similar UCR.

...they retain warmth even when wet and still give you a degree of dexterity.  However, the stitching of the leather seems poor and I have the leather seperating in multiple places after 5 weeks of hard use; I intend on submitting a UCR on what is otherwise a fairly decent piece of kit.  What was that site again?

Michael O`Leary said:
Sorry wrong thread.  This thread is for using one's energies to whine, ***** and argue instead of writing UCRs and maybe even posting the text used for others to have as a resource to add their own comments when they submit a similar UCR.

Whoa now...  That makes way too much sense...  stop that... thats just silly.

If we start making sense now, the whole system will just fall down and catch on fire...

Infanteer said:
What was that site again?
If your on the DIN UCRs can be found at http://dgmssc.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/ucrs/frameset.asp

Michael O`Leary said:
Sorry wrong thread.  This thread is for using one's energies to whine, ***** and argue instead of writing UCRs and maybe even posting the text used for others to have as a resource to add their own comments when they submit a similar UCR.

As usual bang on...so to help others a recent UCR on the Tac Vest.  Feel free to use and send many many times to DLR.  Maybe your CoC's will be faster than mine in doing actual substantiation.

THE CURRENT TAC VEST REQUIRES MODIFICATION FOR THE COMBAT SOLDIER.  MAGAZINE CARRYING CAPACITY IS LIMITED TO FOUR C7/C8 MAGAZINES IN FOUR SINGLE-MAGAZINE POUCHES. CURRENT STANDARD LOAD IN AFGHANISTAN IS TEN TO FIFTEEN MAGAZINES FOR RIFLEMEN. MAGAZINE POUCHES NEED TO BE INCREASED IN SIZE TO HOLD THREE MAGAZINES EACH.

MAGAZINE POUCHES ARE LOCATED TOO HIGH ON THE VEST FOR EASE OF ACCESS IN STRESSFUL COMBAT SITUATIONS WHERE MAGAZINE CHANGES MUST BE CARRIED OUT INSTANTANEOUSLY WITHOUT FUMBLING. VEST AND POUCHES NEED TO BE MODULAR USING AN INTERNATIONALLY-ACCEPTED STANDARD SUCH AS MOLLE/PALS TO ALLOW ATTACHMENT IN LOCATIONS SUITABLE FOR THE INDIVIDUAL SOLDIER INCLUDING FEMALE SOLDIERS MANY OF WHOM FIND THAT THE CURRENT LOCATION CAN CAUSE REAL PAIN AND SUFFERING WHICH NEGATIVELY AFFECTS THEIR ABILITY TO PROVIDE EFFECTIVE AND ACCURATE FIRE, WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE IN ACTUAL COMBAT SITUATIONS. 

THE TAC VEST IS DESIGNED WITH A RIFLEMAN IN MIND WITH NO REAL CONSIDERATION FOR OTHER JOBS WITHIN A COMBAT ENVIRONMENT ESPECIALLY IN THE CASE OF INFANTRY SOLDIERS. RIFLE MAGAZINE POUCHES ARE USELESS FOR PERSONNEL ARMED WITH C9 AND C6 ETCETERA, AND THEREFORE ARE A WASTE OF SPACE ON THE TAC VEST. C9 POUCHES ON THE CURRENT TAC VEST ARE LOCATED IN AN AREA FROM WHERE IT IS DIFFICULT TO EXTRACT THE AMMUNITION ESPECIALLY IN STRESSFUL COMBAT SITUATIONS WHERE RELOADS MUST BE CARRIED OUT INSTANTANEOUSLY WITHOUT FUMBLING. C9 GUNNERS IN PARTICULAR ARE ABLE TO CARRY 2 EXTRA BOXES OF AMMO BUT HAVE LOST A LOT OF SPACE FOR OTHER MISSION ESSENTIAL EQUIPMENT.  A MODULAR VEST AND POUCHES USING AN INTERNATIONALLY-ACCEPTED STANDARD SUCH AS MOLLE/PALS WOULD ALLOW THE ATTACHMENT OF THE C9 POUCHES IN LOCATIONS SUITABLE FOR THE INDIVIDUAL SOLDIER AND IN PLACE OF C7/C8 MAGAZINE POUCHES. 

THERE IS NO PROVISION FOR CARRYING 40MM GRENADES IN SUCH A MANNER THAT THEY CAN BE READILY EXTRACTED FOR RAPID RELOADS, ESPECIALLY IN STRESSFUL COMBAT SITUATIONS WHERE RELOADS MUST BE CARRIED OUT INSTANTANEOUSLY WITHOUT FUMBLING. A MODULAR VEST AND POUCH SYSTEM USING AN INTERNATIONALLY-ACCEPTED STANDARD SUCH AS MOLLE/PALS WOULD ALLOW THE ATTACHMENT OF THE 40MM GRENADE POUCHES IN LOCATIONS SUITABLE FOR THE INDIVIDUAL SOLDIER.

THE BAYONET MUST BE MOVED FROM THE FRONT OF THE VEST.  WHEN A SOLDIER GOES INTO THE PRONE POSITION THE HILT OF THE BAYONET DIGS INTO THE BOTTOM OF THE RIB CAGE.  THIS DOES NOT ALLOW THE SOLDIERS TO TAKE UP A PROPER FIRING POSITION.  IT ALSO STICKS OUT AND GETS CAUGHT ON OBSTACLES OR VEHICLES AS SOLDIERS CLIMB OVER/ON THEM.  SIDE/REAR MOUNTING WOULD BE BETTER CONSIDERING THAT THE BAYONET IS RARELY EVER USED. 

THE GRENADE POUCHES NEED TO BE MADE LARGER AS THE GRENADES FIT BUT ARE VERY HARD TO GET OUT.  SEVERAL TIMES, I HAVE OBSERVED THE SAFETY CLIP FALL OFF WHILE A SOLDIER WAS FIGHTING TO GET THE GRENADE IN THE POUCH.  GETTING THE GRENADE OUT IN COMBAT IS A CHALLENGE AS WELL;  AS A SOLDIER FIGHTS TO GET THE GRENADE OUT HE WASTES VALUABLE SECONDS.  A MODULAR VEST AND POUCH SYSTEM USING AN INTERNATIONALLY-ACCEPTED STANDARD SUCH AS MOLLE/PALS WOULD ALLOW THE ATTACHMENT OF GRENADE POUCHES THAT FIT GRENADES, IN LOCATIONS SUITABLE FOR THE INDIVIDUAL SOLDIER.

THE TAC VEST IS NOT EASY TO ADJUST FOR SIZE WHEN ADDING OR REMOVING CLOTHING LAYERS. AN EASIER AND MORE RAPID METHOD OF ADJUSTMENT MUST BE INCORPORATED. THIS WILL MOST LIKELY REQUIRE A COMPLETE REDESIGN.

THE TAC VEST IS NOT STABLE ON THE BODY DUE TO AN INHERENT DESIGN FLAW THAT PERMITS IT TO SHIFT FORWARD AND THEREFORE DOWN ON THE FRONT AND UP ON THE BACK. THE ONLY REMEDY IS A COMPLETE REDESIGN."

IF DAMAGED, THE ENTIRE CURRENT TAV VEST MUST BE TURNED IN FOR REPLACEMENT OR REPAIR. A MODULAR VEST WOULD ONLY REQUIRE REPLACEMENT OR REPAIR OF THE SPECIFIC PART AFFECTED, THEREBY SAVING COST, TIME, EFFORT, AND STORAGE SPACE.

IT IS RECOGNIZED AND APPRECIATED THAT, HAVING EXPENDED CONSIDERABLE TIME, EFFORT, AND MONEY ON THE CURRENT DESIGN, A COMPLETE OR EVEN PARTIAL REVISION IS NOT AN ATTRACTIVE PROPOSITION. COMMERCIAL BUSINESSES, GENERALLY RUN, STAFFED, AND/OR ADVISED BY RETIRED OR SERVING SOLDIERS WHO HAVE DIRECT EXPERIENCE WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF EQUIPMENT THAT MUST RELIABLY AND CONSISTENTLY SERVE THE NEEDS OF SOLDIERS IN INTENSE COMBAT, HAVE ALREADY DONE THIS WORK. A NUMBER OF SUCH CANADIAN COMPANIES HAVE DEVELOPED SOLID REPUTATIONS FOR THE PRODUCTION OF QUALITY EQUIPMENT, EASILY CUSTOMIZABLE BY INDIVIDUAL SOLDIERS ACCORDING TO THEIR JOB/WEAPON CARRIED, THAT HAS ALREADY RECEIVED THOROUGH TESTING BY SOLDIERS IN ACTUAL COMBAT CONDITIONS. FEEDBACK FROM THESE SOLDIERS HAS RESULTED IN RAPID IMPROVEMENTS TO ELIMINATE ANY PERCEIVED DESIGN SHORTCOMINGS. THIS PRODUCT-IMPROVEMENT PROCESS IS FAR QUICKER THAN THE CURRENT CUMBERSOME AND PLODDING CF SYSTEM THAT, FOR ALL OF ITS GOOD INTENT, ENSURES THAT DESIGN CHANGES APPEAR YEARS AFTER THEY ARE REQUIRED, AND PERHAPS LONG AFTER THEY HAVE CEASED TO BE RELEVANT. SOME OF THESE CANADIAN COMPANIES ARE:

HTTP://WWW.ICETACTICAL.COM/

HTTP://WWW.CPGEAR.COM/DEFAULT.ASP?MN=1.19.2

CONCLUSION

EVERY SOLDIER HAS DIFFERENT REQUIREMENTS BASED ON HIS FUNCTION ON THE BATTLE FIELD (RIFLEMAN, LMG GUNNER, GPMG GUNNER, SAPPER, MEDIC, SECT COMD, FOO, AHSVS DRIVER, ETC)

MODULARITY ALLOWS FOR LESS COSTLY REPLACEMENT OF LOAD CARRIAGE COMPONENTS TO SUITE NEW/RETIRED/UPGRADED KIT

MODULARITY BASED ON AN INTERNATIONAL STANDARD WILL PROVIDE INDUSTRIAL BENEFITS AS CANADIAN BIDDERS WILL BE ABLE TO MARKET THEIR PRODUCT TO OUR ALLIES

MODULARITY BASED ON AN INTERNATIONAL STANDARD CAN PROVIDE REGIONAL INDUSTRIAL BENEFITS AS DIFFERENT CANADIAN CONTRACTORS WOULD BE ABLE TO COMPETE FOR DIFFERENT COMPONENTS OF THE SYSTEM

MODULARITY REDUCES LIFE CYCLE COSTS AS DAMAGED COMPONENTS MAY BE REPLACED AS OPPOSED TO COMPLETE ITEMS

MODULARITY PROVIDES FLEXIBILITY (& REDUCES RISKS) BECAUSE IT ALLOWS THE LOAD CARRIAGE SYSTEM TO BE ADAPTED TO THE THEATER OF OPS.  THE REQUIREMENTS OF BOSNIA WERE NOT THE SAME AS CYPRUS, THE REQUIREMENTS OF AFGHANISTAN ARE NOT THE SAME AS BOSNIA, AND THE REQUIREMENTS OF OUR NEXT THEATER WILL NOT BE THE SAME AS AFGHANISTAN.

MJP -- I like the UCR -- your 2004 PPT is still relevant too - perhaps showing it to others or finding a host for it so units or members can dowload it to show their COC.
and if I may be so bold, talk to some of the surgeons as well and see if they will support the idea of a releaseable vest and releaseable armour set up.

Infidel-6 said:
talk to some of the surgeons as well and see if they will support the idea of a releaseable vest and releaseable armour set up.

Careful, we may end up like the USMC did with their debacle.

Infidel-6 said:
MJP -- I like the UCR -- your 2004 PPT is still relevant too - perhaps showing it to others or finding a host for it so units or members can dowload it to show their COC.
and if I may be so bold, talk to some of the surgeons as well and see if they will support the idea of a releaseable vest and releaseable armour set up.

Thanks but I really can't take that much credit for the UCR.  There was a great deal of input from many people on content, wording, grammar, NDHQ speak.  I had a framework and a first draft and it was polished into the finished product you see today.

The powerpoint is a bit out of date.  It is on my list of things to revamp as soon as I have it fixed I'll post it/host it somewhere so people can grab it.

The USMC incident happened because a general decided to listen to their troops...

Well written, pretty hard not to understand the problem, implications, and current impact...

Back