• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The stuff the army issues is useless" and "no non-issue kit over seas!"

Never seen official direction on the movement of the bayonet.  I think what happens is someone sees it, does it and then other people see it and it catches on.  It may be official but like I said I have never seen or heard anything official.

Cobra-6 posted a photo in Reply #118 on: August 31, 2005, 08:58:17 - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/33641.0.html showing a location.

I've found that when mounted there, it sticks out too far behind and gets caught up on the straps of the small pack.

The best solution I've come up with is to have the left C9 pouch mounted vertically, and have the bayonet's "molle" ran over the leftmost ladder lock then weaved down into the the bottom cell of "small pack webbing". A little bit of guntape to secure the molle's snap in place and you'll have the bayonet mounted vertically between the Tacvest's small pouch and the Smoke grenade pouch.

Mounted like this it is secure, easy to draw, and out of the way.

Heh, I don't have my TV set up like that and I don't have any pics laying around.

At the moment I'm not running either C9 or Canteen pouches on my TV.  I don't see the point.

I have first aid stuff in a ziplock bag stuffed into my right small pouch with a TQ on top and held in place with the flap and side release buckle. If I need it, the ziplock bag comes out and I can dig through that in whatever position is convenient - similar to the philosophy behind an ATS or ICE IFAK.

Flex cuffs, BUIS, and BFA are in my left small pouch. The side release buckles are off my mag pouches and the flaps are tucked in, with friction providing retention.

My TV is stripped as light and low-pro as possible - as any fighting order should be. For my new set up, I have the bayonet mounted similar to the way Cobra 6 described but all the way at the bottom of those two rows of daisy chains, horizontally along my waistline and out of the way of the small pack straps. If you want pics of that, I'll snap some tomorrow at work.

**EDIT**

I guess if I were super hard I could mount my C9 pouches and fill them with sand or something. Attempt to simulate the weight of 5 more mags, frags, ect. But then again, I'm not super hard - only somewhat hard.

As for the mounting of the bayonet in such a position.  I remember during work up training having put it there and getting the "why isn't your bayonet in it's (parade square) proper position??" from my SSM.  I put it back in to it's authorized spot until I got overseas.

I tend to set my TV up to have both C9 pouches on as they can be multitasked.  Mind you, my TV also tends to sit in my turret bin and I use my chest rig when dismounting.

Bzzliteyr said:
As for the mounting of the bayonet in such a position.  I remember during work up training having put it there and getting the "why isn't your bayonet in it's (parade square) proper position??" from my SSM.  I put it back in to it's authorized spot until I got overseas.

I tend to set my TV up to have both C9 pouches on as they can be multitasked.  Mind you, my TV also tends to sit in my turret bin and I use my chest rig when dismounting.

My RSM  at the time asked me that as well.  I told him why I moved it and he said well done.

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
If the TV has been handed off will any further UCR's make a difference?
One well written UCR by itself will not do much.  1000 UCRs declaring "the tac vests sucks" but with no explanation of the deficiencies will do even less.  However, if enough well written UCRs accumulate and a common deficiency (or series of deficiencies) starts showing then this provides the argument for the LCMM to propose a replacement or major modification effort.

As the user submitting a UCR, your single most important job is getting that narrative right.  Don't present solutions without first clearly defining the problem.  Don't assume that the problem (or solution) is fundamentally obvious because it might not be obvious to the people that will have to fund the solution.  Do attempt to provide examples to validate your opinion (eg: item x is not durable enough for combat operations as a third of them had broken within a month of normal use).  You do not need to recommend a solution; you absolutely must define the capability deficiencies.  Do not waste your time selling/recommending a brand name product because we can't go shopping that way.

Teflon said:
He touched on that issue (adjustment)

Teflon: Ack. I meant to suggest that in addition to the requirement for the vest adustments being easier to be made by the wearer, they should also be done in such a way that the setting will remain that way and not loosen up.

It appears that the unblousing of pants while outside the wire is over. According to what I've seen, trousers are to be bloused. It appears that "how you look" is more important than "how you fight" or principles of ventilation in a hot climate etc...
Having said that, we must now enforce it.

OldSolduer said:
It appears that the unblousing of pants while outside the wire is over. According to what I've seen, trousers are to be bloused. It appears that "how you look" is more important than "how you fight" or principles of ventilation in a hot climate etc...

Don't forget that the tie must be in a proper Half Windsor Knot for NCOs and a Regimental Ascot will be worn by all officers . ::)

MG34 said:
Don't forget that the tie must be in a proper Half Windsor Knot for NCOs and a Regimental Ascot will be worn by all officers . ::)

Half Windsor? Harrumph... standards must be slipping.

Now, about those puttees....

You guys going over the hills and far away get the new kevlar neck stocks yet?  How about the CADPAT shakos?

I wonder if the guy giving this directive to all soldiers serving abroad has spent anytime in Afghanistan but more specifically more then a week outside the wire in Afghanistan.  We might as well break out the Scarlet's while we are at it.

:warstory:Listen closely and I'll tell you a story that will show you the mind set of some of the people in the Army, and they are at all rank levels, not just the MWO and up:
Years ago, a buddy of mine (yes I have one) was on a winter ruck and toboggan march and undid his parka to ventilate, as per training. His section 2 I/C ordered him to zip his parka up as he "was in the public eye". So much for training.
This mind set still exists. As I told my Bde Comd not long ago, flexibility in thought is far more important than physical flexbility. It's unfortunate that some of the people in my age group (50+) are stuck in the 70's (Cold War)mindset.

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
I wonder if the guy giving this directive to all soldiers serving abroad has spent anytime in Afghanistan but more specifically more then a week outside the wire in Afghanistan.  We might as well break out the Scarlet's while we are at it.

Now that would turn a few heads.....Especially if there are any ancients around......."The British are coming, the British are coming!".  ;D

OldSolduer said:

Get it writing from the chain of command to explain the shins splints and attach to your pension submission to VAC.

Back