• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The War in Ukraine

They need this for anti-drone

Mk1_Defiant.jpg
If that's not a pee-tube sticking out the bottom, then the RAF missed a "golden" opportunity...

I believe that based on some other stuff they have done to drop 105 and 155mm shells they they remove some of the safety components and simply make it a direct impact fuse - which is a fairly expensive waste of the round and fuse.

Not to mention dangerous as all fuck.
Paging @AmmoTech90

A tank HEAT shell dropped from above seems to be significant overkill, I’m not sure as to the WHY of the approach on this.
Probably damaged so instead of wasting the warhead they convert them. Better than throwing them away I guess.

Sounds like the early International Legion troubles have been resolved. Some Canadians visible in video.

Probably damaged so instead of wasting the warhead they convert them. Better than throwing them away I guess.
Actually there has been NIB ammo 'converted' this way - which is why I'm really curious.
Now with a PD fuse it would be a neat Anti-Armor FPV drone.

Actually there has been NIB ammo 'converted' this way - which is why I'm really curious.
Now with a PD fuse it would be a neat Anti-Armor FPV drone.
Need a PIBD to get good jet formation. That would involve mucking around with the nose cone and doing something to transmit the impulse from front to rear. It's probably rigid enough that force at the nose will be transmitted back quick enough to initiate a BD fuze.

Scratch some more turtles, likes like Arty immobilized and FPV SUAS to finish.
Terrible fucking tactics. No wonder they got smoked. Tactical column past the LD, bunching (tanks should be 100s of metres away from each other on the advance), obviously no arty SOP, stopping while under contact, driving into canalizing ground and stopping, they literally did everything they aren't supposed to do. I suspect they had no comms in most of the tanks and when they were buttoned up they couldn't talk/react.effectively.

There, FTFY ;)
Nah, all of it weirds me out.

@PrairieFella did a good job highlighting the weirdness on the Russian side, I would simply add that it makes me wonder if they replaced their commanders with AI from 2004. Did they forget drones exist? Were they under the wrong impression they were covered by active and effective drone countermeasures?

But even on the Ukrainian side... It's just so weird that there's just these explosives hanging out in the sky and no one bothers with an actual engagement. It's just, oh well, here come 5 Russian tanks. Fire a few arty rounds that don't hit anything. Hm. Send in the drones I guess. And then the Russians just run off and a few more drones are "wasted" on turning abandoned tanks into fireworks.

Sorry I don't have better words to express what I'm trying to say, I know I sound like I barely graduated high school, here, but... It's all so strange.

@PrairieFella did a good job highlighting the weirdness on the Russian side, I would simply add that it makes me wonder if they replaced their commanders with AI from 2004. Did they forget drones exist? Were they under the wrong impression they were covered by active and effective drone countermeasures?

But even on the Ukrainian side... It's just so weird that there's just these explosives hanging out in the sky and no one bothers with an actual engagement. It's just, oh well, here come 5 Russian tanks. Fire a few arty rounds that don't hit anything. Hm. Send in the drones I guess. And then the Russians just run off and a few more drones are "wasted" on turning abandoned tanks into fireworks.

Sorry I don't have better words to express what I'm trying to say, I know I sound like I barely graduated high school, here, but... It's all so strange.

They're not too far from Serfdom, which might help explain the fatalistic approach...

The Russian Army Death Cult​

I never put much stock in Philosophers - the disadvantage of a technical vs a liberal arts education, but Vlad Vexler and Anders Puck Nielsen have changed my mind.

BLUF: the problem with the Biden approach to the Moscovy - Ukraine war is that neither Russia nor Ukraine believe it will work

Need a PIBD to get good jet formation. That would involve mucking around with the nose cone and doing something to transmit the impulse from front to rear. It's probably rigid enough that force at the nose will be transmitted back quick enough to initiate a BD fuze.
Add an electrical circuit and a cap to set off the fuse? There appear to be a pair of 'trembler' like proximity/standoff impact switches on most FPV drones on the UA side

The Ukrainian Artillery system while interesting, and offers advantages for certain missions, it also has a lot of issues. I’m a big fan of FOO’s and JTAC’s in direct observation of the target areas with lead elements, not sitting in BN HQ watching drone feeds for data. I tend to believe that is why the UAF tends to expend a lot of Arty rounds for limited success / round. Sure it works for deep strikes against fixed targets, but it doesn’t always translate to fluid engagement at the front on advancing enemies.

Sorry I don't have better words to express what I'm trying to say, I know I sound like I barely graduated high school, here, but... It's all so strange

These 1-2 minute videos can be deceptive for several reasons. They only show you a narrow slice of the battlefield (ie whatever the drone could see), and they are massively edited to the point that they only show a few moments (ie the explosive ones) of what might have been an hours-long engagement.

Sometimes, a few of the Ukrainian brigades will release longer (30-40 minute) videos that cover most of a tactical event from start to finish, often with footage from inside of their command posts. These are still carefully edited for OPSEC and Info Ops purposes, but it allows you to understand what actually happened and see what the Russians and Ukrainians were trying to accomplish.

Back