• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tips for making a good impression and getting a JOB (any job, not just Military)

My  :2c:: Don't use slang/street talk and don't "whatever, man" the recruiter... it just makes them angry...

LOL I think i saw the PO2's vein pop right out of his head when that guy said that... LMAO

But kudos to him keeping his feelings inside... I think he had an extra long smoke break after that one!

Jingo said:
Don't use slang/street talk and don't "whatever, man" the recruiter

I can't even believe that we actually have to say this... I can't believe that some people don't realize that it is not appropriate...  ::)
Oh well, they will probably learn the hard way...

the_girlfirend said:
I can't even believe that we actually have to say this... I can't believe that some people don't realize that it is not appropriate...  ::)
Oh well, they will probably learn the hard way...

There are LOTs of things that people don't realize - this being the Recruiting Forum, nothing surprises me.  Everybody has their own "normal", and not everybody has been exposed to a different "normal", never mind a MILITARY "normal"!

Heck - some folks don't even realize that their user name contains glaring spelling errors!  :eek:

Roy Harding said:
There are LOTs of things that people don't realize - this being the Recruiting Forum, nothing surprises me.  Everybody has their own "normal", and not everybody has been exposed to a different "normal", never mind a MILITARY "normal"!

I agree with this statement, I am a very competetive freestyler skier, and mtn biker, some of the people that i may hangout with (or most anyways) Use what you would call street talking and talk like a bunch of punks with no boundries (i can't make any excuses, yes i talked like them because it seemed 'normal' to me).

My grandfather, is a retired master warrant officer, and took me to get my application papers and before we went he told me " Don't talk like you do while skiing with your friends."  ( eventrully they beat it in to me) I then talked like very responsible, the recruiter was very nice to me.  :)  ( Damn that application papers are quite confusing. Spent about 2 days checking them over, and filling them in, Just wating on  my student transcipricts now.

brandon_ said:
I agree with this statement, I am a very competetive freestyler skier, and mtn biker, some of the people that i may hangout with (or most anyways) Use what you would call street talking and talk like a bunch of punks with no boundries (i can't make any excuses, yes i talked like them because it seemed 'normal' to me).

My grandfather, is a retired master warrant officer, and took me to get my application papers and before we went he told me " Don't talk like you do while skiing with your friends."  ...

Very true - every sub-culture has it's own manner of speaking.  I'm a cabinetmaker (furniture maker), and could bore all of you for hours regarding styles, influences, esoteric tools, joinery methods, practical applications for geometrical theory, finishing methods, etcetera, ad nauseum - all while using acronyms and trade specific terms that would confuse you.

You are lucky that your Granddad is a retired military guy and could set you straight.  Not everybody is that lucky.  The guys in the CFRCs know that - and I'm sure they make allowances - but it never hurts to put your best foot forward.

Best of luck to you.

Roy

Thank you Roy.

Yes i am very lucky to Have my granddad, that was in the military, i have a very big military family, cousin is in the infantry both my grandfathere are retired military and both of there Dad's are military and Preety much so on. ( i could go on, and on) but i consider my self lucky to have alot of help.

Otis said:
Believe it or not, from what I've seen around here, it's NOT just Gen Y that has a problem with these simple rules ... quite a few older people come in that have no idea how to approach a job interview.

I agree it covers every generation, but I perceive the current youth is being taught a very different message from what previous generations were taught, resulting in a higher percentage of them not understanding what is expected of them in social situations.     

i;m sorry but i have a question ( i know its, off topic, its still gunna be a longways away,) In the reserve forces, when you go away to your summer training camps are you able to bring a bike with you so that you could get around the base on weekends?( time off etc.)

brandon_ said:
i;m sorry but i have a question ( i know its, off topic, its still gunna be a longways away,) In the reserve forces, when you go away to your summer training camps are you able to bring a bike with you so that you could get around the base on weekends?( time off etc.)

Yes Very off topic...but yeah, i've seen bicycles around while on crse...

Yeah, i know sorry.  :)

But it was borthering me for while and i did not want to start a thread over it.

When I went in for my interview I wore a suit and tie. That is what I felt to be appropriate for the occasion. The funny part is, there was another gentleman in there just completing his interview wearing shorts and flip flops and was at the front desk checking on his other paper work, when his phone rang and he actually walked away from the front desk in the middle of a conversation to answer it. I thought what a jack@**, but then I was like wow how much better did he just make me look to the recruiters. 

I agree with the above statement.

When you go to the RC chances are it's not your first time going... look to see what most of the RC staff is wearing (3b's) usually... So try to match it, Dress pants and a shirt with a collar.
Ensure that what your wearing is ironed and you have cleaned yourself up (shave/cut hair if necessary) just be presentable it's a job interview.

I do not about others, but from my experience what is considered nicely dress for an interview can be different between genders. I sometime feel wearing a suit can be a bit over the top for women than for men, depending on the job, and women tend to have more options as to dressing nice for an interview.

In my case, at least in the last several years, I usually just wear black top and dress pants, which I find it works as well and appropriate. I intend to do the same when the interview comes, as I have previously at the RC. Then again, best I have for work/interviews anyway as my clothes are nearly all black, and with my height it is hard to find a suit that fits well and affordable.

brandon_ said:
Yeah, i know sorry.  :)

But it was borthering me for while and i did not want to start a thread over it.

Lol, have to say I'm glad someone asked about the bike.  It's been on my mind for a while.  Love riding, getting that  adrenalin flowing.  Now to find a mountain nearby ;)

Otis, you have some amazing advice. I have read all your advice on here and me and my recruiter have become to have a realationship sort of. Its not just hey. He treats me with respect and I do too. Your advice is great.
Thank you a lot.
Chris

CBAtt said:
Otis, you have some amazing advice. I have read all your advice on here and me and my recruiter have become to have a realationship sort of. Its not just hey. He treats me with respect and I do too. Your advice is great.
Thank you a lot.
Chris

You're very welcome. I hope it all works out for you.

Good Luck!

Back