• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tories to unveil new ad campaign

I'm not so sure that the general public will be as hostile to these ads as some think.  My wife is rather a-political but after seeing the ad with Iggy debating Dion she turned to me and said... "Did he realy just say it was unfair?  He sounds like a whiney little baby."

I also agree that something has to ballance out the Media's free ride that Dion is on.  The blogs are doing their best but more needed to be done.

Here is the Globe and Mail’s editorial take on the issue, from today’s (30 Jan 07) edition, reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070130.EADS30/TPStory/Opinion/editorials 
Attack ads? Hardly

These are attack ads? The Conservative Party's paid television commercials challenge Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion on his party's environmental record, on being part of a scandal-plagued party and on (allegedly) being a poor leader. There is no distortion and barely a touch of innuendo. Yet some voices have criticized these as attack ads. Is the suggestion that Canadians are too namby-pamby to tolerate political leaders who point out the weaknesses, real or otherwise, of their opponents?

Compare the Tory ads with those run by the Liberals in the last federal election. One Liberal ad, unsupported by facts, suggested that Mr. Harper might have accepted campaign funds from right-wing forces in the United States. Another said Mr. Harper had admitted (when he didn't) that he would have to raise taxes or run a deficit to pay for his campaign promises. Another cited a quote from The Washington Times that Mr. Harper would be "the most pro-American leader in the Western world." Still another, pulled before it ran, implied that he would send the army into Canadian streets and create a kind of police state. Those ads sought to stoke fear that Mr. Harper was a dangerous radical, an accusation that would have been fair game if the ads had supplied enough facts to make a credible case, even at a stretch. They didn't.

Negative the Tory commercials are, and it's an open question whether they will work. Consider the one that says "Stéphane Dion is not a leader." That assertion follows a testy, somewhat comical exchange between Michael Ignatieff and Mr. Dion during the Liberal leadership debates. Those debates are now old news. Flinging at Mr. Dion a quote from a now-meaningless exchange (this was hardly "Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy") is to take aim with a pea-shooter. As a leader, Mr. Dion is untested. The ad is not convincing.

The one questioning the Liberal record on the environment is on firmer ground. The environment is the country's number-one issue, and Mr. Dion, who speaks passionately about the fight against global warming (is there a better-known dog name in Canada than his Kyoto?), has oodles of public credibility. Why wouldn't the Tories, whose minority government has a limited lifespan, try to attack the Liberals' strongest point on the main issue of the day? Anyway, it's reasonable to question whether the Liberal governments in which Mr. Dion served deserve any credit. As the ad points out, greenhouse-gas emissions rose sharply under the Liberals.

Canadians aren't stupid. They know that an ad is trying to sell them on something. That's politics. The ads are part of a spirited political discourse.

I think this puts things in perspective.  These negative, to be sure, ads:

• Speak the unpleasant but unvarnished truth about Dion’s and the Liberal Party’s sad record of failure on the environmental file; and

• Have the merit, compared to their Liberal predecessors, of being based on something other than a tissue of lies.

I appreciate that the Liberal Party of Canada is incensed at the Tories for infringing on their (Liberal) attack ad monopoly but, what’s sauce for the goose, etc.

Finally something thats not total garbage that comes out of the globe and mail.

Dion also criticized Harper's environmental record, saying that several months ago the prime minister said that greenhouse gas emissions didn't exist.

Hey, kettle! You're black!

Wasnt Dion the environment minister when scary "green house gases" increased by 30%?

Oh, but that would mean he IS a 2 cent lier...
Oh, wasnt one praises on Dion's website posted by a ... drug dealer?
Doesnt he just shoot himself in the foot every time he opens his mouth?

:blotto:

Dion is the best thing that happened to CPC since sponsorship scandal.

Mind you this was the G&M editorial page cartoon today: ;)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/cartoon/

I don't really like negative publicity campaigns; too much american style.

Obviously, the CPC did think bright by doing some preemtive attacks.

Another view

http://www.doggerelparty.ca/2007/01/attack-ads-wrong-enemy.html

Attack Ads : The Wrong Enemy
I like the new ads, really I do. But I can't help but feel that they're going after the wrong enemy. The breathtaking width and depth of liberal and Liberal media bias in this country has been all too evident in the last two weeks; I've just been too busy to pick it apart - not that the rest of the Blogging Tories aren't doing a great job anyway.

In particular, what I've really noticed in the last two weeks is an upping of the ante in the war between the liberal media and the government. In the beginning, the media used to spin their stories, but a lot of the facts still came through. These days, the media seems to be anticipating where the government is going and moving creatively to head them off before they even get there.

Examples: The income-splitting initiative has had a lot of media recently, thanks to Sara and others. The portrayal in the media has been pretty much unanimous; this is a tax cut for 'the wealthy' and is designed to pit 'barefoot and pregnant' social conservatives against the daycare lobby. The Ottawa Citizen carried a major article on this on Saturday; the headlines making the points just listed, and a box showing likely tax savings highlighting those earning over $100,000 as saving the most - without pointing out that this would simply mean families with like income paying like taxes.

Then CTV announces that the Conservative Government is running the 'attack' ads - clearly implying that taxpayers money is paying for them.

These are just examples. What they have in common is that the bias is creeping higher up the story; it's not just media spin on the story, it's media framing the whole story in spin before they even begin to tell it. Many people only read the headline, or the box of figures - the media's making sure those people are getting the anti-Conservative message now, without having to read the whole story.

That's why, although I like the ads, I think they're going after the wrong enemy. We are more and more seeing the CBC, CanWest and CTV setting themselves up as the official opposition. It's going to be a tough fight next election, with four Liberal parties out there instead of just one.

Prime Minister Harper has done other things to bypass the MSM; going directly to local news and radio shows across Canada (and doing live shows which reduce the chance of "spin") and apparently the CPC monitors "The Blogging Tories" and the blogosphere in general, which may mean they will have the most effective use of the new media in the lead up and during the election.

Watch and shoot.

It is unfortunate that the Tories have felt that they had to do this, but ever since dion was installed as head of the Liberals, the media in this country has been trying to get him elected. To boot Dion has already started the election machine by saying they wont support any new budget put forward, that was with out even seeing it.

Boxkicker said:
  It is unfortunate that the Tories have felt that they had to do this, but ever since dion was installed as head of the Liberals, the media in this country has been trying to get him elected. To boot Dion has already started the election machine by saying they wont support any new budget put forward, that was with out even seeing it.

For the opposition to say they won't support the budget before it's seen is all part of business and not "disloyal" as you would make it sound.  Mr Dion was simply saying, if you have something good to show me.... show me - then we'll think about it.

geo said:
For the opposition to say they won't support the budget before it's seen is all part of business and not "disloyal" as you would make it sound.  Mr Dion was simply saying, if you have something good to show me.... show me - then we'll think about it.

No what he was saying is "I don't care what you bring to the table, I don't care if it is good for the country or not I'm pulling the plug because I can, and because you are conservatives and I am liberal and never the twain shall meet."

One of the most democratic things I've heard of, which was done in Afghanistan of all places, is a system under which Political parties are permitted to exist but once the Member of Parliament (or the Loya Gigra in Afgh) is in the house every single one of them sits as an independant.

Political parties are hurting our democracy in Canada.  They have taken on a life and meaning of their own which unfortunately seems to usurp the importance of the nation to some people.  Political ideology is not more important than the system in which it exists.

Dion may back budget
TheStar.com - News - Dion may back budget
`We'll see' what is in it, the Liberal leader says, which could mean election is put off until the fall

January 22, 2007
bruce campion-smith
OTTAWA BUREAU

OTTAWA–Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion says his party is open to supporting the upcoming Conservative budget if it doesn't "compromise" Liberal values, a decision that could extend the life of the minority government until the fall or perhaps even 2008.

"When you come to a situation to say, `Well, this budget is not as good as what we would have done but, you know, under the circumstances, we did our best to improve what Mr. Harper wanted to do and we may vote for it,'" the Liberal leader said on CTV's Question Period.

He noted that it was Bloc Québécois MPs who supported the first Conservative budget, unveiled last May.

"This year, will it be us? Will it be the Bloc? Will it be the NDP? Nobody knows," Dion said.

"And that means that we need to be ready for an election because maybe nobody will be in a situation to vote for a budget from a very right-wing government at odds with what mainstream Canadians want to do," he said.

"I think the best we may expect is an acceptable budget. We'll see," he said of the budget, expected in March.

The support of the 100-member Liberal caucus, together with the 125 Tory MPs, would be enough to ensure the government survives any opposition to the budget from the 51 Bloc MPs and 29 NDP members. There are also two independents – Halton MP Garth Turner and Quebec MP André Arthur.

That could put off an election until the fall, when timing would be complicated by Ontario's Oct. 4 provincial vote.

Reccesoldier said:
Political parties are hurting our democracy in Canada.  They have taken on a life and meaning of their own which unfortunately seems to usurp the importance of the nation to some people.  Political ideology is not more important than the system in which it exists.

Well said!!!

This question has been asked thousands of times before. What are "Liberal values"? From experience, we have seen them in action. Why would the Liberals ever get elected to form a government again by sane, intelligent, informed Canadians. I answered my own question. How in Canada can you get informed with the grip the Liberals have on the media?

Rifleman62 said:
This question has been asked thousands of times before. What are "Liberal values"? From experience, we have seen them in action. Why would the Liberals ever get elected to form a government again by sane, intelligent, informed Canadians. I answered my own question. How in Canada can you get informed with the grip the Liberals have on the media?

Liberal values are those that are based on balancing the needs of positive freedoms and negative freedoms.  Positive freedoms include minimum wage, minimal standards of education and living.  Negative freedoms include freedom of speech and the right to practice ones religion free of persecution... etc.  Over the past thirty years the liberal government has ushered in some of the most progressive public policies and within the past few years it was the liberals that agreed to ratify the Kyoto accord; albeit this year it was the Conservative government that chose to neglect the Kyoto accord and say that it's goals were far fetched.

I think the question should be why would anyone vote for the conservative party?  A party that is fact nothing more than a dictatorship.  Steven Harper's control over his party is absolute as seen by his need to replace Rona Ambrose as environmental minister due to a policy that he recommended that she make.  The only problem with the liberal party right now is that it does not have a very strong cabnet and because Ignatiff is Dion's Deputy.  So my question is WHY do you think that the Conservatives are a better party?  The only reason that they look good right now is that they have not had the time to terribly screw up yet and I doubt that they will until after the new election to carry favourable ratings into the polls.    

GetCARTER said:
Liberal values were defined by John Stuart Mill in the 19th century. are those that are based on balancing the needs of positive freedoms and negative freedoms.  Positive freedoms include minimum wage, minimal standards of education and living.  Negative freedoms include freedom of speech and the right to practice ones religion free of persecution... etc.  Over the past thirty years the liberal government has ushered in some of the most progressive public policies and within the past few years it was the liberals that agreed to ratify the Kyoto accord; albeit this year it was the Conservative government that chose to neglect the Kyoto accord and say that it's goals were far fetched.

I think the question should be why would anyone vote for the conservative party?  A party that is fact nothing more than a dictatorship.  Steven Harper's control over his party is absolute as seen by his need to replace Rona Ambrose as environmental minister due to a policy that he recommended that she make.  The only problem with the liberal party right now is that it does not have a very strong cabnet and because Ignatiff is Dion's Deputy.  So my question is WHY do you think that the Conservatives are a better party?  The only reason that they look good right now is that they have not had the time to terribly screw up yet and I doubt that they will until after the new election to carry favourable ratings into the polls.

The deleted text is sophomoric nonsense – straight out of the James Laxer school for the economically, historically and politically challenged.

If other things were being defined out of 19th century mentality, we'd be flying the Union Jack, singing "God saved the queen", and using muskets. (shudders) :(

Back