• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tories to unveil new ad campaign

Ummmm - they don't still sing "God Save The Queen" ?  ???

Stridsvagn_122 said:
If other things were being defined out of 19th century mentality, we'd be flying the Union Jack, singing "God saved the queen", and using muskets. (shudders) :(

Have you better definitions of liberalism than those set forth by Mill in On Liberty?

I have not found any in my 65ish years.

It would be the height of foolish conceit to assume our ancestors had not been able to iron out some very basic moral truths.

The definition of liberalism aside, the argument was more between liberalism vs conservatism.  I agree that the concept of liberalism hasn't changed since the mid to late 18th century but neither has conservatism...they're still trying to preseve the status quo.  The reason why the liberal party has so much appeal is because they can draw upon the strengths of both the political left and right.  I think that is what the political nature of Canada has become.  The NDP introduces more social policies than anyone and the conservatives party keeps the liberal government in check.  Therefore, the liberal government adopts the best of both parties to maintain its popularity and it provides a strong representation of the Canadian political will.  Moreover, getting back to the topic of the forum, I think that the ad campaign started by the Tories is both good and bad.  The conservative party gets to play on the present weakness of liberal party and gain ratings in the polls but it shows a sense of insecurity.  But who can blame them when historically the conservative party's stay as top political party has been short lived in recent decades

I think that comparing the Liberals to liberals is a little nonsensical.  The Liberal Party is a brokerage party and will change their policies to suit the wants and needs of Canadians at election time to suit voter interest.  The Conservatives are an amalgam (more of a take over, DaimlerChrysler style) of the old brokerage PC Party and the Ideological Canadian Alliance/Reform party.  So the Conservative Party I think, are less flexible to the Canadian Voter than the Liberals...  whether that is a good thing or a bad thing is really a personal decision :)

hotelquebec9er said:
I think that comparing the Liberals to liberals is a little nonsensical.  The Liberal Party is a brokerage party and will change their policies to suit the wants and needs of Canadians at election time to suit voter interest. 

Then of course the Liberals then just do as they please and outright lie to the voting public. I will give Stephen Harper credit he has done what he said he was going to do. True he back peddled on the income trust thing and it does hurt a small few, but for the most part it what it does is tax corporations and not the individual taxpayer.
  The Liberals will do whatever it takes to stay in power, they have divided this country and plays it against itself. East against West, everyone against Quebec. I moved to this country in 1978 and have spent the majority of that time with PM's from Quebec and I am tired of them.
For all those that call the current PM a dictator, was it not Jean Chretien that used to call himself the friendly dictator.  Stephen Harper does what a LEADER does he stands up front and say's here is what we are going to do, that is what a leader does.

Sure.  Doesn't mean we all have to like his policies.  I personally think that other than DND policy Harper isn't for me. 

To Get Carter:
    I do have to ask you this when it comes to Kyoto. The Liberals did recognise that yes there is a problem and yes some of it is man made, but how much of the problems are natural. For this country to reduce GHG industry needs some incentive, tax breaks for cleaning up or something but they were offered nothing, and did not need to do anything the liberals offered nothing. Now the Tories are trying to legislate it so industry will have no choice.
 If we did not meet our Kyoto goals we would have to buy credits from other countries, that do not have to change there environmental laws. What happens there is that industry still does not have to change we don't meet our goals, it cost industry no money and we the taxpayer gets screwed.
To affect change the attitudes of other certain countries must change, China,India and Russia are the first to come to mind.  All of them are signatories of Kyoto but whenever there is something coming up about the science, say well we are not really convinced yet, but when we don't meet our goals they will be more than happy to take our money. At the summit that just took place China was still trying to get all this stopped.
Now please take a bite on this, Stephen Harper publicly slapped the Chinese about there human rights record, all the Libs ever did was suck up to get more trade. Stephen Harper has stood up for democracies IE; Israel, Jean Chrieten was saying how good North Korea was and how the Canadian people stood with and supported them. My A** we are still legallly at war with them as we are pledged to support and defend South Korea and that one has not ended yet.
Finally suck on this Stepahne Dion in his youth was part of the PQ, to me that is treason!!! What were there words when they said soldiers that there would be Soldiers on the streets "WITH GUNS" oh yes NOT IN MY CANADA!!

Israel is not a good example of a world class democracy.  They refuse to sign the entirety of the Geneva Convention. 

Sorry for the derail.

hotelquebec9er said:
Sure.  Doesn't mean we all have to like his policies.  I personally think that other than DND policy Harper isn't for me. 
I do not support all his policies either, but that is called democracy (sorry for the sarcasm).  Stephen Harper has been using common sense, realising that you can't do it all and picking a few prioities and working on those, you do get the odd fast ball Lebanon and DFAIT did what they could as fast as they could as well as they could.
 The Tories have been trying to change somethings and keep there nose's out of provincial jurisdiction ie: daycare he has been trying to decentralise government and keep federal powers where they are supposed to be.

hotelquebec9er said:
Israel is not a good example of a world class democracy.  They refuse to sign the entirety of the Geneva Convention. 

Sorry for the derail.

No prolem but I can say that I have been there can you say the same. Also did you know that as an arab you have all the same rights as a jew except that you do not have to serve in the army. Plus a third of the Knesset is Arab Muslims.

Israel has also had to fight for it's very life since day one. You cannot negotiate with groups like Hama's or Hezbollah. Please remember who started round 24 of the war this summer. Please dont go there about how they attacke UN postion's go read the reports from UNIFIL that said how Hezbollah was not only firing at but also firing in front of UN positions. Hezbollah wanted the UN to get caught in the crossfire.

So what were we saying about democracies!!

Sorry about the thread HI jack folks Lets get back on topic.

Back