• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Training Review Board Recommendations

How many days, weeks or months would you like this test at the recruiting centre to last to determine chronic seasickness?

Many people get seasick initially, then get better.  Many get seasick situationally, depending on what is happening in the ship at a given moment. Some never get sick.  Some never stop being sick- but not all of those people want out of the Navy (believe it or not). 

Dont get me wrong here. My suggestion on sea sickness testing at an early stage was to make sure we dont put in efforts and money in a person who cannot even get up from the bunk and who goes on IV line every other day with shots of Gravol. The person no matter how much skilled, trained, experienced he may be, if he cannot function in the role he is just another vegetative body to take care of.

My problem started from day 1 that I sailed. Of course I took Gravol a day in advance but still puked all over the moment we slipped. I started getting super sensitive to different smells and the smell of any soap, deodorant even dill pickles made me puke. I turned completely green and pale. Of course the PA on board started treating me but once alongside the PA actually got me an appointment on urgent basis with the doctor since we were scheduled to sail in couple days. During all this time, I also tried the "patch" which had neurological side effects. Basically I was totally in a mess. Not that I dont enjoy Navy, but on other hand I should be at least some what sane to be part of the enjoyment. Of course I was not happy when the TRB happened and even frustrated with the recommendations but seems that CFNES did the right thing of deciding cease training based on sea sickness and did not accept other recommendations. In a way I was happy with that decision.

Eye In The Sky said:
- You need to fight the "conspiracy theory" ideas in your head that are or will be there, you need to remain disciplined and composed and to show anyone/everyone why and/or how you can be a productive member of the CF.  This will or may help you show up to work with a positive attitude/disposition every day.

Based on what you've said, I would suspect you can expect a decision to CT you and then a referral to the BPSO office for disposition. 

Don't listen to the "bad voices" in your head! 

You know what your job is now; keep out of shit.  :nod:

curiouschap said:
By the way, very curious now, why cant the CF test people in a cheaper way of course, regarding sea sickness when a person walks in the RC with an aim to join the Navy?

You are absolutely right. The RC should add these questions to the screening process if they aren't there yet:

1) Have you ever been on a boat/ship/ferry/dinghy of any sort?
2) If no, please return to the recruiting centre only after having put yourself in a situation where you can answer yes to question 1.
3) If yes, did you get sea sick?

curiouschap said:
Now there is no information what happens to a member when he/she is chronically sea sick and in process of getting a PCAT "Unable to withstand ship's motion (Unfit sea, fit alongside)" (This is my TCAT MEL with O factor O3)?

Will someone please share their knowledge, experience, expertise on this topic? Only reference I found was on the BPSO website indicating what happens after a member gets sick chit for sea sickness. Then there is little information power point on AR based on MEL. I am very curious to know what is the exact process?Does this mean that the member gets medically released or the member is retained in land based trades?
Here's my  :2c: on the probable course of events on the medical issue, but nothing is certain and every case is assessed on an individual basis.  Best guess is that chronic seasickness will not trigger a 3B medical release.  Your MO will recommend a PCAT with MELs "unable to withstand ship's motion" and O factor O_ .  Subsequently, your medical will go to D Med Pol in Ottawa who will review your chart and likely assign permanent MELs as previously discussed.

Once that is done, your MELs are sent to DMCA for the AR/MEL process.  Do your MELs allow you to remain in your trade (? a hard sea trade) - likely not, so Retain Without Restrictions is unlikely.  Do your MELs breach Universality of Service - probably not?  If not, are you able to move to another trade via a Compulsory Occupational Transfer to something in Army or Air Force?

However, if you have administrative or disciplinary actions pending then this may also factor into the RWOR/COT/Release determination.  As others have already advised, why don't you discuss with your CoC?

CombatDoc said:
Here's my  :2c: on the probable course of events on the medical issue, but nothing is certain and every case is assessed on an individual basis.  Best guess is that chronic seasickness will not trigger a 3B medical release.  Your MO will recommend a PCAT with MELs "unable to withstand ship's motion" and O factor O_ .  Subsequently, your medical will go to D Med Pol in Ottawa who will review your chart and likely assign permanent MELs as previously discussed.

Once that is done, your MELs are sent to DMCA for the AR/MEL process.  Do your MELs allow you to remain in your trade (? a hard sea trade) - likely not, so Retain Without Restrictions is unlikely.  Do your MELs breach Universality of Service - probably not?  If not, are you able to move to another trade via a Compulsory Occupational Transfer to something in Army or Air Force?

However, if you have administrative or disciplinary actions pending then this may also factor into the RWOR/COT/Release determination.  As others have already advised, why don't you discuss with your CoC?

It's already been explained to him here, and likely by his MO...apparently he didn't hear what he wanted to hear.

MM

Back