• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Troops carrying pistols outside the gate

Should all soldiers leaving camp carry pistols along with rifles

• No, troops (ie riflemen) don't need it.

Votes: 71 22.3%
  • Soldiers leaving the camp should have the option of carrying pistols along with their rifles

Votes: 191 60.1%
  • Soldiers should only carry pistols if their is a special requirement/task

Votes: 50 15.7%
  • Other listed below

Votes: 6 1.9%

• Total voters
BinRat55 said:
Well I KNOW that shouldn't fly... but i've seen much weirder (is that even a word?) things in my years.  I guess for me, for my own piece of mind, if I were carrying a side arm in a non-issued holster, I would have an issued holster somewhere nearby!!

Soyou say the "unit" did a bulk purchase for an item that is restricted in the supply system?  Interesting...

The current issue holster for the Browning is too big for the Browning. The only reason why I did not lose mine (twice) on my last trip to Bosnia, is because I had a non-issue retention strap tied off to my belt. The other option, is dumping a magazine, and puting the pistol in a mag pouch.

The holster is designed for a bigger Beretta (which is longer, and has a wider slide). The holster is perfectly functional on a parade square at the positions of attention and at ease. Anything like a mark time tho, and one runs the risk of dropping the pistol right out, even with the two points of retention engaged (the fastex buckles are lowest bider, and mine wore out to the point of not holding in place, I had to tape it).

Infidel-6 said:
6004-4.jpg

BHP Safariland 6004

I-6, do you have a pic of the inside of the thumb break?  That looks like the sort of thing that I'm trying to find.
Also having a devil of a time finding drop magazine holders for the other leg, although I think I saw an all-in-one type device from CP Gear. 
Having your spare mags on the strong side is another idiocy of many military style holsters I've seen. 

Dude I will get you - one -- and I have the holster here in Ottawa if your interested -- I will be in Petawawa next w/e

Browning Hi Power Inglis No.2 Mk1*

issued to me at the time.
Mag safety removed
Spegel Coco Bolo thinline grips
issued really ghey lanyard
skateboard tape on front and backstrap.

*sorry I know I told you in the PM it was my custom Novak BHP - I needed to look at the pic here to remember which one it was.

garb811 said:
Didn't you convert to Sig prior to deploying?  Any Reservists I ever took, it was the first thing we did to ensure commonality on pistols in the Det.  Even pre-Sig I never wore the issued holster on Ops, the unit did a bulk purchase of a suitable better holster and everyone wore that.

We did get issued the 225. If by converting you mean showing up one day and doing the qualification shoot(without any instruction), then yeah.

We also got issued Uncle Mikes drop leg holster, which were an improvement over the Bianchi. Still, I decided against using it, since I could not reliably twist the pistol out of the holster.

I went with a CQC Serpa holster from BlackHawk. This was a mistake. As a day to day holster for KAF, it did not offer retention and left the hammer exposed. The hammer would get pulled back by seat belts. Embarrassing. The worst part about this is that I was already a Safariland convert and changed to the Serpa because of someones (well meaning)advice.

Ah poor man... We all know that Safariland is superior to the Serpa in many ways ;)

Infidel-6 said:
Dude I will get you - one -- and I have the holster here in Ottawa if your interested -- I will be in Petawawa next w/e

If that would be Easter weekend, I'm going to miss you.  And any chance the holster would be for a left handed freak?  :P
However, an Ottawa trip is a-brewin'....

Unfortunately I am out the door on the 28th back to the world of sand and bad smeeling men with beards.

It is also unfortunately for a righty (as I am perfect - and thus a righty...  ;) )

Jay4th here has a BHP lefty rig -- but he is out and about trying to pick up random (female) reservists in WATC while he teaches.

Teeps74 said:
... The current issue holster for the Browning is too big for the Browning. ... The holster is designed for a bigger Beretta (which is longer, and has a wider slide). ...

- Back in the day when we had probably more Inglis Browning pistols than we had FN C2s (both weapons made in Toronto, by the way), we had holsters that fit the BHPs.  A web type for the 1951 pattern webbing (with hooks) and a nylon type for 1964 pattern webbing, with loops.  I had one but I gave it away, as the loops were too small for the 1982 pattern web belt they gave me in 1986.

- One would think that simply purchasing a replacement holster system that fits the pistol would make sense. Too bad it they aren't like boots, and all we need is a chit from the doctor stating that issue holsters don't fit us...

TCBF said:
- One would think that simply purchasing a replacement holster system that fits the pistol would make sense. Too bad it they aren't like boots, and all we need is a chit from the doctor stating that issue holsters don't fit us...

Makes you wonder why they selected that particular pattern...

Someone like it and no-one else had input.

It was better than the 1982 pattern floppy holster -- I acquired a Uncle Mike's holster in the early 90's which was head and shoulders above the UM-84, it was made for the BHP (novel I know  ::) )  While it has been eclipsed it worked in its day and it was available when the idiots got us the UM-84 - its pretty bad to realised our holster is 20 years behind the 8 ball.

I have approved private-purchase Safariland 6004 and HSGI for the Browning.  Now to work on gov't funds to purchase so that troops aren't out of pocket...

blake

The decision to equip troops should not be a hard one in my mind, everyone should get them, and like several others have stated, training is the key as with all weapons, if the NCM's were issued pistols at the begining then eventually they would become second nature to the troops with regards to safety and accuracy.(Officers are another matter entirely) The big issue with that is number of and condition of equipment, this is the same for the C7A2, the amount a unit has is limited, or it is in my units case and this is sad, the soldier for the most part never becomes comfortable with it and this in turn leads to unsafe practices, especially by the John Wayne types.
This is of course the ideal world and unfortunately we that have been around long enough have seen that nothing is ever an ideal world in the CF make do and adaptation by the troops is often what occurs to make things happen.

:salute:

Infidel-6 said:
Jay4th here has a BHP lefty rig -- but he is out and about trying to pick up random (female) reservists in WATC while he teaches.

Completely understandable and respectable.  ;D
I still have lots of time before we go anywhere.  Hopefully I can gab with him before September. 

BLUE GRUNT said:
... if the NCM's were issued pistols at the begining then eventually they would become second nature to the troops with regards to safety and accuracy.(Officers are another matter entirely) The big issue with that is number of and condition of equipment, this is the same for the C7A2, the amount a unit has is limited, or it is in my units case and this is sad, the soldier for the most part never becomes comfortable with it and this in turn leads to unsafe practices, especially by the John Wayne types....

Oh - let's not go there Sunshine...

mudgunner49 said:
Oh - let's not go there Sunshine...
YUP - I must say that by far I see MORE officers than NCO's (scary when you think numbers) who are "shooters".

Its fun to bash officer weapons handling -- but I see a lot more issues on the NCO side.

Like an RSM having an ND - come on WTF over.

Back